16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Hunting in Montana
eng-pointer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

My wife and I are celebrating out 20th wedding anniversary at Glacier National Park next September. I have never been to Montana and have never hunted Huns or Sharptail grouse and would love to spend a day or two doing just that. Does anyone have a guide that they have used or have suggestions. I am open to about anything! I would be glad to exchange a Kansas Pheasant/ Quail hunt if anyone is interested.

Thanks in advance!

James

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
Ruff Hunter
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:52 pm  Reply with quote

September also provides some world class trout fishing up that way too.

Cast 'n blast?

16Ga BRNO
20Ga LC Smith
20Ga Miroku x2 (Model F & Model 500)
28Ga AYA 4/53 (bucket list item #6)
cowdoc87
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:43 pm  Reply with quote

Lots of ground available in Montana for public hunting. Grouse and Huns in northeast Montana are lots of fun, but of course populations fluctuate with weather. You can sign up with 2-3 ranches and have 20,000 acres to hunt. PM me

manofthewoods
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:00 pm  Reply with quote

Disclaimer: I've never hunted that far NW in Montana. That said; as mentioned earlier bird populations fluctuate Year to year and region to region. For example: This year my hot spots in Central Montana for pheasant were deadsville Crying or Very sad But, there were sharptail everywhere. As I went east toward the ND border I found more pheasants (not a ton, but, a decent amount), and... Sharptails everywhere.

Never saw a hun while hunting, did see a few on various roadsides near highways and such. Some years it's the complete opposite.

You should be able to find State land, BLM land and Block management to hunt. Be sure to get your dog(s) in shape, Highly likely they'll need to cover lotsa ground.

Enjoy the journey

eng-pointer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:23 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I have a 2 yr old pointer that loves to run and a 7 yr old GSP that stays pretty close but I would love to just get out and walk and see the country. Birds are a bonus but not the focus.

James

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:47 am  Reply with quote

I did a blast and cast out of. Great Falls, MT in 2009. We hunter pheasants, Huns, and Sharptails NW of Great Falls on the Fairfield Bench. We also duck hunted and went trout fishing on the Missouri River South of Great Falls. Our guide for our blast and cast was T.J. Laviolette who owns Trout West Flyfishing. TJ can be reached at (406)222-8233 (home) or (406)223-2473 (cell) or by email at troutwest.mt@gmail.com for trips, dates and pricing. You can find his web site on the web.