16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Verona (Rizzini made) 16 ga OU
TerryS
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:59 am  Reply with quote

This is a new in the box Verona LX501R 16 ga., 28", SST, AE, with three choke tubes, IC, mod & full. Glossy PG stock. $825 plus $20 shipping and insurance to your FFL.

I bought this on a whim but I have 2 FAIR Rizzini 16's already. Mechanically this gun is a dead ringer for my Rizzinis, the major difference is cosmetics and wood.

You can contact me at terrynmyrna at roadrunner.com
TerryS
Ken
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:04 pm  Reply with quote

PM sent
nossman
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

Terri....Is that the silver receiver model? I don't remember what the 'R' stood for. Non the less, I have the same gun with silver receiver and it is a very nice gun for the money. looks and feels great. Drops birds & clays dead. I enjoy mine more and more, every time out.
nossman
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:32 pm  Reply with quote

Ken..I believe that the Verona's are the best valued O/U for less than $1K. If the gun is NIB as stated, you will not be disapointed.
TerryS
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:39 pm  Reply with quote

I have no idea what the R is either. I used the invoice to write the ad and it had the R. I've looked on the gun and the box and neither have the R listed. Sooooo, ignore the R!

It is the silver receiver model with woodcock on one side and quail on the other.

I swapped the barrel off the Verona to my Rizzini just to see if it would fit. The fit was fine but the forends have different latching mechanisms and they would not interchange.

FAIR is now supplying guns to Cortona, cortonashotguns.com , there is quite a price difference but there is quite a difference in wood and other niceties.
TerryS
Ken
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:42 am  Reply with quote

nossman
I am very familiar with Verona. I have 2 LX502's. They are(were) the best value for the money. A FAIR for 600-800 bucks for the 5xx series. It is such a shame BC went under.
16gabrowning
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:19 pm  Reply with quote

Has this gun sold yet?
TerryS
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:01 am  Reply with quote

No. I still have it.
Terry
terrynmyrna at roadrunner.com
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:39 am  Reply with quote

I've been aware the basic parts for these guns appear to be made by one company, because of this partial interchangability factor. I've a sneaking suspicion the major unfinished componants all come from Marrochi under contract to be fitted and finished by the various brand name firms to their own specs. These specs go according to the various contracts they get from our domestic import houses. I believe this also includes the SIG/USA line of shotguns.

Nearly all the O/U guns are simplified Perazzi type barreled actions w/o the removable trigger systems. They are all remarkably similar to identical in design except for minor variations like the forend lock ups, etc. This means they are all of a very good, very rugged design. Who can argue with the basic Perazzi O/U design. Its bullet proof if my old first model M-X8 trap doubles gun with a gazillion rounds through it and still tight is any indication. Tough? I'd have to say so or risk lying.

This might mean finding spare parts for the various guns is easier. However, I'm not familiar with the inner workings so this is just a guess. It would be nice though if they all shared the various small parts like locking bolts, levers, strikers, hammers, sears, triggers, push rods, pins, screws, inertia weights, springs etc. this would mean keeping them in service would be far easier for far longer. Not a bad thing if you shoot them a lot.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:23 pm  Reply with quote

The Sigs (including those marked LL Bean) are in fact B. Rizzini guns.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:29 am  Reply with quote

I thought they might be. That pretty much confirms that most if not all of the major componants of these guns originate from one source and are fitted and finished to suit each brand's individual requirements. Price varies according to both the quality of the wood, finishing, engraving, etc. as well as the contracted price the importer agrees to pay for them.

Gun manufactures or makers have been doing this for a long time. The Japanese Kodensa line of O/U guns all originated from one source. This included Nikko, Winchester 101, Sears, Miida, Classic Doubles, Golden Eagle, a couple of Weatherby O/U guns and several others whose brand names elude me now. They were all well built and very nearly mechanically identical. Fit, finish, and stock wood quality varied from brand to brand with the last of the 101 line and the Classic Doubles guns being among the finest ever made.

Some folks think Miroku made some of these guns. They did not. Miroku made their own, the Charles Daly line, a few for Sears and Monkey Wards, plus the present Browning line. the Kodensa factory was torn down and a three tiered golf driving range was built on the site in the mid 1990's. Miroku is still very much with us.

Many American trade gun doubles from the first half of the last century followed the same line of marketing with many brands being built on a barreled action from one source. Savage has been doing this for decades. Nothing is new under the sun. Just our perceptions of the times.

Actually, it does not really matter. What does is how well the componants are made and assembled and how well the product is backed up with service if needed. From a consumer's stand point, this should be the most important aspect.