16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Reloading room
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:17 am  Reply with quote

With all the snow we have and -0 temps I've been bored out of my mind. I spent some time in my reloading room yesterday. I organized things a bit threw out a bunch of stuff like old archery trophies. Cranked out some .40 S&W on my progressive press I really didn't need any more of, loaded some 28's for sporting clays and toyed with some Federal 16 ga. cases. I looked up a load with those cases 21.0 grains of Universal 1 0z. of lead shot in a SG wad. Fit perfectly and crimped very nicely. The manual says 1165 FPS which is about perfect for what I want it for. I'll chronograph it once it warms up a bit and see for sure. Joe
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:08 am  Reply with quote

Soggy
I know 20.5 grains in a cheddite is a little over 1200, guess maybe that extra room in the federal makes it a little less. Can’t wait for your results. I like the cheddite load for the A5 so would think your load will be a keeper.
Savage16
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:57 am  Reply with quote

Soggy Does your book specify a Fed primer? My notes from Hodgdon list
21.0=1165,22.0=1220,23.5=1275
Any body else see a big difference in the look of the Hodgdon site?

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:34 pm  Reply with quote

Win 209 16 ga. manual 5th Edition page 5 M1605194. Actually says 21.5 grains Joe
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

Could not wait any longer it got to 28 degrees here and sunny, so I packed up the loads of 16 ga to chronograph and a couple rifles and headed to the range. I could have shot the shotshell loads in the backyard but I have a flock of turkeys nearby and didn't want to spook them. Plus I wanted to shoot a couple rifles from my trigger stick to practise a little. Been a boring winter here.

Anyway the 21.0 grains of Universal in the Federal hull shot through my chronograph averaged 1123 for 5. My book does say 21.0 and two lines down goes to 21.5. I'll load some with 21.5and shoot them at sporting. clays this weekend. They did work just fine in my A5 so that's a plus.
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:49 am  Reply with quote

I shot a round of sporting clays yesterday with the Federal hull load mentioned above. impressive targets breaks and not bad recoil at all. Went the first 7 stations with one miss before things went south on a Tru pair outgoing station. Lost 4 birds there probably 40 plus, the ones I hit broke nicely. Not bad for the first time out since last August!