16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Belgium Browning Auto-5--Help !
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:53 pm  Reply with quote

I have an opportunity to buy a real nice (est.97.5% wood, 98.5% metal) 12 ga. Belgian auto-5 with vent rib, fixed 28" Mod choke barrel---I think that's what the two stars mean---has a few small nicks in buttstock. Doesn't come with the box but it does have the warranty info in that black envelope with John Browning's profile that the company used to put that information in.

I didn't have a lot of time and didn't write down the serial # but my guess is the gun was made in very late 60's/very early 70's. Dealer, whom I trust, is asking $699....how fair does this sound? How difficult is it to find a vent rib, IC barrel for these guns, and what would one cost, in 98-99% condition? The gun looks real clean to me....

Foursquare
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

If it is a late 60s/early 70s (it would have a flat knob) gun I'd say you're at the high end of value, assuming a light 12.

Extra barrels are not hard to find, figure $200-300 for what you seek.

If you could provide the serial number, things would become quite a bit more clear.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:12 pm  Reply with quote

Have him knock off 150 or so and use it to buy the barrel with---they are still around and are usually not sky high in price Wink
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

I'll see if I can get that serial number. The thing that attracts me about this gun is its condition, which I would have to rate as excellent, and I'm kind of a picky guy. It does indeed have a flat knob on the pistol grip. I'm thinking yes, $699 does sound a little high for a Light 12, which this is....but on the other hand, I can probably get it bought for cash for $35-$50 less at least and you're going to pay about $600 or more just for an 1100 Rem auto these days. To me, upon comparison, I know which one I'd take for that money...

hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

I'm with you on the A-5 choice----locally I would expect to see it bring around $550
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:42 pm  Reply with quote

If it's an honest 98% condition the gun is at the high end of the range but not by a lot. If you are anal about condition don't quibble over the $50 to $75 that it might be high by. You'll forget about the cash far faster than you can find one cheaper.

Most of these guns saw a lot of use and 855 ones are common in the $450 range, but high condition pushes the scale uo fast.

NIB a '60's Light Twelve's have been known to reach $1,200 on line where lazy people in a hurry find them......
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:19 pm  Reply with quote

Well---here's what has happened since yesterday...I looked up the value in the 2006 "Catalog of Firearms" by Schwing...usually a good reference. The value of a Light Twelve A-5, made in Belgium in "excellent" condition, it said, is $750. I went back to look at the gun. The serial # is 75G 53227. The dealer told me it was made in 1975. They stopped making them in Belgium, I think in about 1976.
The wood matches---forend and buttstock. Bluing is excellent; screwheads are not marred. There are 4 to 6 small nicks in the buttstock, but I didn't want a wallhanger anyway--I did want a real nice, collectible shotgun that I could hunt and shoot skeet with. The shotgun belonged to a local hardware mechanic who mostly left it in a gun case. Most importantly it fits me. I know it does, because I bought it for $650, then took it out this afternoon, fed it 1 1/4 oz. Remington Pheasant Load #5's and killed 2 roosters with it. Mr. Browning, meet Mr. Rooster......