16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Ithaca Model 37 Classic Question...
Degle
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:56 am  Reply with quote

gg

Last edited by Degle on Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:18 am  Reply with quote

They are all 'kinda classic, 'ain't they? That is one of the King's Ferry guns, and they all came with choke tubes-sounds like someone lost the originals and picked up one to put into the barrel to sell it with. The Ithaca choke tubes interchange with a few other brands out there (Mossberg, and colonial, for sure) so just pick up what you need to have a set, and you are off.
The model 37 "New Classic" replaced the model 37 "Deluxe" in 1998. The guns were very similar, but the price had gone up almost $200 between 1996 and 1998. I doubt that one gun would be worth more than the other, used, in today's market. The folks in Sandusky, OH, are making another run with the 37, I wish them all the luck in the world.
I'd suggest you not worry too much about the gun being a collectors item, now or in the future, and just use and enjoy it. I have several, glad I bought them when I did, and they are sure nice, light , and useful guns.
Best,
Ted
brdhnt
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:12 pm  Reply with quote

Your gun is probably one of the first runs of the 16 gauge classics. I saw one at the SHOT SHow in New Orleans about 7-8 years ago. Ithaca sent me one to test and review and it had the 'ringtail' fore-end and the choke tubes were made by Colonial.

A couple of years later I ordered a skeet tube for it from Colonial and it was marked "Ithaca" 16 gauge. I love this gun and probably use it more in the field than all of my other guns combined.

My gun has a 13,000 serial number so yours was actually made before mine. It is an original Classic.

Colonial still makes the choke tubes as does TRULOCK.

Enjoy, you've got a good hunting weapon there.

TMB
________
Eckankar Forum

Last edited by brdhnt on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Degle
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:38 pm  Reply with quote

gftr

Last edited by Degle on Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:02 pm  Reply with quote

Degle, I too bought a Kings Ferry gun with a 26" barrel and Colonial chokes. Its a good gun if just a little heavier in the barrel than the earlier ones. However, it swings very nicely and I shoot it about as well as any other gun I shoot. I'd just enjoy it and not sweat the collector stuff. If you keep it clean and well maintained, it will always be worth every penny you paid for it, and probably more in later years.

Incidently, Mossberg chokes will not fit the Colonial choke seat. Mossberg standard chokes are identical to Browning invectors, the earlier standard SKB chokes and the old Winchester winchokes. So please don't use anything but a Colonial or a Tru-choke. Those two have the same threads. By the way, did Mossberg ever make a 16 with factory choke tubes? I've never seen one. I was told by the factory they never did. So if Ted has seen one, it is probably an after market job. Thus, the confusion.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:58 pm  Reply with quote

The 12 gauge Mossberg chokes interchange with the Ithaca 12 gauge tubes, and Win-choke (.812, 32 tpi), Browning invector, (not invector PLUS) Weatherby IMC, S & W, and Savage choke tubes. There may be others on that list. Sorry, I didn't catch it was a 16 gauge gun (most of King's Ferry production was 12s, followed by 20s) which use the .718, 44 tpi, but, Carlson's, Colonial, Brileys, Tru-lock and Hastings can all supply whatever chokes one would need, even weird custom designs, for the Ithaca 16.

I stand corrected, I guess, the 16 Mossberg 500s don't have a factory choke tube.

I do suspect the tube will be made at Colonial, they just all sell them.

Brownell's (800-741-0015) can help you find the tubes you seek. It does sound like the tube that is installed is working pretty good though....
Best,
Ted