16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Upland Gun Company
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:23 am  Reply with quote

RM - good that you were able to "FIX" the trigger whomping !! Char used to have a dozen Band Aids waiting for me at Moo when we came up . Don't think there was any mechanical way to fix it . Looks like a great fit for your gun !

Trail
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:41 am  Reply with quote

I think I'll be placing an order for a 20ga Venus yet this weekend.
Once you add up the extras to get the Zuess where you want, the Venus is pretty close I think. Hope to have it by Nov.

For those that have ordered...which stock fitter did you work with? I think they have 3 or them here in the midwest. Chicago, Travers City, MN.
Thanks.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:01 am  Reply with quote

Trail wrote:
I think I'll be placing an order for a 20ga Venus yet this weekend.
Once you add up the extras to get the Zuess where you want, the Venus is pretty close I think. Hope to have it by Nov.

For those that have ordered...which stock fitter did you work with? I think they have 3 or them here in the midwest. Chicago, Travers City, MN.
Thanks.

I ordered my 16 ga Zeus with the custom dimensions from a previous fitting, but they missed every dimension. The comb was lower than ordered, and the heel was higher. I ordered 3/8" cast off and barely had 1/8".

I put the gun on my stock bending jig, and finally after 4 incremental bends, got the desired cast off. The drop at comb and heel would require a new stock to fix, so I decided to just shoot the gun and to my surprise was breaking clays immediately and really shooting it well. I can only presume the lower comb and higher heel cancelled each other out and my cheek was in the correct place. I struggled with the relationship between the trigger guard and POW grip, finally giving up after sporting a constantly bruised second finger for a while, and engineered a new trigger guard that gave me clearance and ended the finger bruising. I detailed that fix in a previous post.

The gun at 6 pound 3 ounces has become my favorite bird gun, but it was a long journey to get there. Hopefully my gun was not their best effort on stock making and your experience will be much better.

Last edited by Riflemeister on Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Trail
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:34 am  Reply with quote

I was a little afraid of that sort of thing. I know a good stock fitter in my area, but I'm going to use someone in their network. It shouldn't make any difference, but what the heck.

I think it'll be this....
*Venus; 20ga, interchangeable chokes
*Grade 2 wood (standard)
*coin w/ standard engraving (might yet go to full engraving; not sure)
*Black small parts.
*contoured rib (standard)
*initials on the trigger guard.
*standard checkering.
*perforated lever.

This is more $$ than I've ever spent for a hunting gun. Sort of a retirement present from me to me! Smile
ksauers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

I went around and around trying to get the prince of wales I want . I spent the extra for a block. Supposedly they can do it with a block.I still have doubts but I ordered anyway . They better get my stock measurements correct and grip. For the money I’ve ended up spending I’ll be mighty upset if all the stock measurements are wrong like RM’s. Hopefully they learned something in the last year or so.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:55 pm  Reply with quote

ksauers wrote:
I went around and around trying to get the prince of wales I want . I spent the extra for a block. Supposedly they can do it with a block.I still have doubts but I ordered anyway . They better get my stock measurements correct and grip. For the money I’ve ended up spending I’ll be mighty upset if all the stock measurements are wrong like RM’s. Hopefully they learned something in the last year or so.

I was one of the earliest to get one ordered and then the original gun was destroyed in a proof house accident and they had to build me a new gun. I believe they rushed the process and possibly didn't have their best stock maker on the job. Guns I've seen pictured on here since I've had mine appear to have much better stock work, however the metal work was flawless and has proven to be absolutely reliable in all my hunting endeavors.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:57 pm  Reply with quote

Thought I should post an update on hunting with my RFM (Upland Gun Company) 16 ga Zeus built on a 20 ga frame. After replacing the trigger guard to cure the abuse of my second finger, I've done most of my bird hunting with the Zeus. Despite the initial warts of poor stock finish, stock dimensions nowhere near what I requested and that cursed trigger guard that crowded the pow grip, this gun is amazing. At 6 pounds 3 ounces, it is a delight to carry and when the bird flushes it seems to naturally point itself and kills like the hammer of Thor. I'm starting to wonder if my fitted dimensions are really that important, or the lower drop at comb and higher drop at heel cancel each other out and the gun just flat works for me. I did struggle to bend in enough cast off for me, but it is just right now. Absolutely no regrets on this purchase and for the first time in years I don't find myself lusting after some newer SXS, this is MY gun.

jusanothajoe
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:04 am  Reply with quote

I have a 16ga Zeus that I really like, build quality is top notch, all my stock measurements were spot on.
I ordered a 28ga Zeus a couple of weeks ago.