16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Upland Gun Company
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:10 pm  Reply with quote

I will second the motion for having Rex on the trigger guard! Those of us that hunt and shoot with you would all love to have something like that.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
Harry_Orwell
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

what would the people that inherent the guns want to see on them? that's one the great thing about heirloom gun pieces...you don't just have to stare at them...you can embrace them in the same endeavor as the original owners! there are very few sports or hobbies that offer that experience!

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:17 pm  Reply with quote

So sorry to hear of the issue with your custom gun! Pretty sure you have been most of the places I have, West Pac, South Pac, World Cruise, Med, North Atlantic. And the email from Italy makes sense to me and you as well I am sure. While back in the day Italy was the armpit of the Med Turkey was the armpit of the Black Sea.

Been waiting on my custom 16 ga. 32" from Dickinson through Pacific Sporting Arms for more than a year now COVID has not done us any favors. I am still going to wait for it because I shoot my 12 and especially 20 Dickinson guns lights out. Been going back and forth on a 28 410 combo and after reading your saga still going Italian but going with FAIR which fit me well. And like you single trigger full beavertail. Going to call Lion Country Monday and place my order.

Already talked to James at IFG and John at Pacific Sporting Arms. Thanks to your journey and the process you have gone through I am pretty sure what I want to order now. Coles has custom ordered F.A.I.R. guns with the Gardena pistol grip and beavertail. Would prefer a POW but James already said I can't get it in an ISIDE. I can live with the Gardena combo I think...

Everytime I see an old Ithaca with initials on it I go down a rabbit hole. Kind of turned off by them in a way but on the other hand wonder about the gentleman that ordered it. And wonder about the history and the why. And the history behind it. Spent more time researching those guns than any others I have ever looked at.

REX would be my choice in your situation. But it is TOTALLY up to you. If it was me it would be REX. Data storage is getting cheaper every day and in the future someone may be able to pull this thread up and trace it back to you. A lot to be said for that.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:22 pm  Reply with quote

I like that case colored Gardena Iside. A lot. I have my upland gun bases covered, but a dedicated clays gun like that would be fun to have. And it could do double duty in the duck blind in a pinch.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:27 pm  Reply with quote

I got an E-mail from Jerry Havel of Upland Gun Company this morning saying my new, new gun to replace the one the proof house ruined is finished. He's in Italy right now, leaving for home tomorrow and says the gun will be following him home. I'm excited about it, but I think I'll have them wait till after the holidays to ship it to possibly avoid any more disasters. I might just get to hunt with it before this season is over. I will ask him to send me a couple of pictures of the gun when it gets over here just to remind me of what I ordered.

Harry_Orwell
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:05 am  Reply with quote

Thought i would chime in since its relevant. I ordered my gun back in July. I was told 3-4 months due to the August holiday. I was told last week that I should see my gun in January. That's quite a while but throughout the experience they have done a great job of communicating and keeping me up to date to the extend of sending me pics of the build. I have attached the last pictures of the stock. I am still very excited about getting my unit. I was able to order exactly what i wanted all the way down to the dimensions. I'll post again after i get my hands on it.

HL
[img]https://tntfiles.com/download/2efd63a6773ce87bc4088cc416f836e71eea022f2677dbbb4362e09330e2556b/16%20build%20-%20wood.jpg?1639324998.4153[img][/img]

jbusch720
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:25 pm  Reply with quote

I have not been as lucky. Ordered my gun in May and have not heard anything since I placed the order. I have reached out multiple times, and have been told they will get back to me soon. Starting to get a a little worried at this point.
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:52 pm  Reply with quote

Jbusch720 -- Have you tried contacting Nick Larson? I've found him pretty helpful and responsive:

Nick Larson
Upland Gun Company
(p) 218.591.7467 // (e) nick.larson@uplandguncompany.com
jbusch720
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:57 pm  Reply with quote

I received a response today. My first email inquiry was in late July. Makes a guy wonder if they follow these forums...

They sent a photo with a barreled action very early in the process. They said they would send pictures of the wood progress tomorrow. Estimated ship date of January. It was good to see that it was actually being built! I'm not in a huge rush, but did expect a little better communication based on the marketing.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:53 am  Reply with quote

Jason, check your messages. I lost your phone number quite some time ago when my phone died a horrible death.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:58 am  Reply with quote

I got the final payment done yesterday, but have requested they hold the gun and ship it after New Year to preclude the mess that is the holiday shipping rush. It looks like a couple of weeks from now I'll finally get my hands on the new gun. I ordered it with a plastic butt pad with the idea I'd evaluate the gun before either sending it to Larry Feland for one of his super-nice leather covered pads or just stick an SC-100 pad on it and go hunting. Hopefully it will be nice enough to warrant the Feland pad, but not so pretty I'll be afraid to hunt with it.

Fortycaliberglock
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:45 pm  Reply with quote

Congrats on finally getting the new gun. I was seriously considering ordering one but not after the difference in lead times I’ve read.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:48 am  Reply with quote

Fortycaliberglock wrote:
Congrats on finally getting the new gun. I was seriously considering ordering one but not after the difference in lead times I’ve read.

In all fairness to Upland Gun Company, the second gun took just slightly less than three months, although they stated they were trying to expedite it. I'm probably a little more tolerant on the timeline as I've had 16 ga SXS's custom built before and only the Dickinson came in under three months. Most were 9 to 12 months no matter what was stated going into the process. Patience is definitely required when having a gun built.

I build custom rifles and am currently in the process of finishing up a 6.5 Creedmoor for my bird dog trainer. Just getting all the parts rounded up was a 4 1/2-month process before I ever started cutting metal. I actually didn't expect to be able to order a custom built shotgun during this pandemic, and can only imagine the supply problems they are experiencing in Italy considering the severity of the Covid over there.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:17 am  Reply with quote

My 16 ga. Dickinson through Pacific Sporting Arms took a year and a half during the pandemic. No fault of PSA, it just is what it is in these times.

Rich Cole is having such a hard time getting Beretta's he has started selling B. Rizzini guns (again) and F.A.I.R.

I'm likely going to custom order a F.A.I.R. They seem to be delivering faster than most but it isn't the timeline as much as getting what I am looking for.

With manufacturing being what it is across the world today I would not consider Upland Gun Company delivery times unreasonable. Then again as I get older my patience seems to longer for some things. And shorter for others LOL.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

YAHOO, my RFM Zeus 16 ga arrived late this afternoon. A quick check on the gun has it meeting all the specifications on the order. A check on the weight revealed my lightest 16 ga SXS yet, the scales revealed a weight of 6 pounds 3 ounces even. The 20 ga frame and my selecting the lightest blank from the selection offered helped, I'm sure. Both barrels measured .668" and the 5 screw in chokes are pretty close to what I would expect, if maybe a bit on the tight side. The single non-selective trigger breaks crisply at 4 1/2 pounds for the right barrel and 6 pounds for the left. The finish appears to be oil and the bluing is deep and dark. The pores in the wood could have been filled a little better, but the wood appears to be sealed good. Overall, I'm pleased with the gun and think it will be a fine bird hunting gun. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow and post them on here.

Last edited by Riflemeister on Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total