16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Upland Gun Company
Pbking51
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:24 am  Reply with quote

Very nice Harry. What perse did that bad boy end up costing?
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:50 am  Reply with quote

Congrats, Harry. That's a real good looker. I'm also happy to see so many others went with the coin finish as I did on my .410. That's looking good.
Harry_Orwell
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:29 pm  Reply with quote

Yes I love the coin finish and the contrast of the barrels is another thing that I love. To answer the question about cost my total was right around 3900. I don't ever plan on selling it so I'm not interested in resale which is the knock I get from most skeptics. I liked the fact that I could pretty much design the thing from scratch by a decent gun maker for that kind of money. I'm talking all measurements and then stock options, palm swell etc. etc. You'd have to sink at least a few thousand more on a popular gun just to get close to the options, wood and finishes...especially on a game gun. And then 9 times out of 10 that gun wouldn't fit you very well. We are constantly told that guns need to fit so you can shoot consistently. I prefer to hit more targets rather than look good doing it...but why not close the gap on those two things if you can. Just my $.02!

double vision
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:56 am  Reply with quote

Nice looking gun, Harry.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:04 am  Reply with quote

You hit the lottery on getting the right stockmaker for your gun. Maybe some of my feedback to Jerry helped, but I think your gun was too far along by the time I got mine for my critique to have any influence on your gun. I really pored over the photos of your gun and love the fit and finish of the entire gun. Congrats on an exceptionally nice gun.

Harry_Orwell
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:37 am  Reply with quote

Update on my issue with the missing initials. They contacted me today to offer a refund or to have another trigger guard made with my initials and shipped along with instructions for installation. Can't argue with their approach...I expected a refund offer but not the other option. I know there is great customer service from some larger makers but I think you get a bit more from smaller companies looking to make a name for themselves like in this case.

HL

Cheesy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

Harry_Orwell wrote:
I don't know how in the hell it posted 4 times Twisted Evil I obviously don't know what I'm doing. When i previewed it said it failed due to some email problem with an error code of 244 i think. Anyhow, apologies!

I think??? we all get that error. Just pretend that’s your confirmation your post was made and all will be good.
Pbking51
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:58 pm  Reply with quote

Well, I am now setting aside some guns to sell so I can justify one of these. I do think the money is spot on. I expect to order something I can pass down for generations. Debating on a sporting gun or field gun. Harry, i belive yours is an over under?

I am in the minority that likes single triggers and beavertail forends. Basically a dressed up win 21 with a 6.5 pound weight with chokes is my ideal after trying out a bunch of sXs's.

Maybe it's because I'm ashamed my matador 16 with mod/full barrels ended up needing some love to bring it back on face and in the meantime I ended up missing out on a mint one on gunbroker?
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:52 am  Reply with quote

I received the two custom Briley flush chokes I ordered yesterday. Dimensions were right on and the fit is just like the factory chokes. I got a Skeet choke and a Light Mod to finish out the set with the 5 that came with the gun. The set now covers Cyl, Skeet, IC, Lt Mod, Mod, I mod, and Full. I plan to haul my wobble trap trailer out to the Conservation range at least once a week over the summer and get real familiar with the RFM before next bird season. I'll also be shooting trap and skeet leagues with my gun club again over the summer, so if I'm not prepared for my western bird trip this fall, at least I can say I tried.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:58 pm  Reply with quote

Riflemeister wrote:
I received the two custom Briley flush chokes I ordered yesterday. Dimensions were right on and the fit is just like the factory chokes. I got a Skeet choke and a Light Mod to finish out the set with the 5 that came with the gun. The set now covers Cyl, Skeet, IC, Lt Mod, Mod, I mod, and Full. I plan to haul my wobble trap trailer out to the Conservation range at least once a week over the summer and get real familiar with the RFM before next bird season. I'll also be shooting trap and skeet leagues with my gun club again over the summer, so if I'm not prepared for my western bird trip this fall, at least I can say I tried.

Good luck and wish you well on all fronts!

If you don't mind me asking how long did it take Briley to get those custom chokes to you? Last month I sent them chokes and a request for 22 tubes to be made. They always nailed it dead nuts when I sent them the bbl. and they bore matched them dead nuts to my specs, I don't care about labels just constriction. Then again I am a retired Chief Machinest Mate.

Just sending them a couple of tubes saying Full like they asked not so much they missed the mark by a lot. This time I sent them sample chokes with actual constriction of the sample tubes that I sent in. 22 tubes in total, I can't wait for the charge on the CC from Jess Briley. Recall when the Ex first asked me who the He!! was Jess Briley?! But will be worth it when they are done. No doubt in my mind from past experience.

Would be a lot cheaper if I didn't shoot so many different clay venues. And guns.
Harry_Orwell
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:32 pm  Reply with quote

Harry_Orwell wrote:
Update on my issue with the missing initials. They contacted me today to offer a refund or to have another trigger guard made with my initials and shipped along with instructions for installation. Can't argue with their approach...I expected a refund offer but not the other option. I know there is great customer service from some larger makers but I think you get a bit more from smaller companies looking to make a name for themselves like in this case.

HL

Got a call last week from UGC...new trigger guard was ready. They offered to ship the gun on their nickel to a Smith in MI for installation or let me do it myself. I opted for the latter cause I like to tinker.

I have been really impressed with everything but the turnaround time of the build, but given the circumstances that can't be blamed on them. They certainly have gone out of their way to keep me happy. In this day and age that's the exception and certainly not the rule...and that goes for just about everything!

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:50 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron wrote:
Riflemeister wrote:

Good luck and wish you well on all fronts!

If you don't mind me asking how long did it take Briley to get those custom chokes to you? Last month I sent them chokes and a request for 22 tubes to be made. They always nailed it dead nuts when I sent them the bbl. and they bore matched them dead nuts to my specs, I don't care about labels just constriction. Then again I am a retired Chief Machinest Mate.

Just sending them a couple of tubes saying Full like they asked not so much they missed the mark by a lot. This time I sent them sample chokes with actual constriction of the sample tubes that I sent in. 22 tubes in total, I can't wait for the charge on the CC from Jess Briley. Recall when the Ex first asked me who the He!! was Jess Briley?! But will be worth it when they are done. No doubt in my mind from past experience.

Would be a lot cheaper if I didn't shoot so many different clay venues. And guns.

I ordered the chokes on 6 January and received them on 11 April. Right on their 12 to 14 week estimate they gave. They really did a nice job on all the dimensions on the new chokes. The only Briley custom chokes I ever had problems with was one of a pair of skeet chokes for my 16 ga Dickinson. One fit perfectly and the other one would not screw into either barrel. About that time Dickinson started selling chokes at about 1/3 the cost of Briley custom chokes, so I never pursued getting that one resolved.

I was a Navy Aviation Machinist Mate for 5 years before getting accepted for flight training under the NAVCAD program. After retiring with 33 years in, I took my Vietnam era GI bill education benefits and got a degree in Manufacturing Technology specializing in machining. It is really nice to be able to make parts you can't find.

Sporting Days
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:13 am  Reply with quote

Here is an inside look at R.F.M., the Italian gunmaking company that builds the Upland Gun Company shotugns. I'm on on my second order -- after my little .410 Venus came our flawlessly and spectacurlarly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aimHYwvvnNA
jswanson
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:59 am  Reply with quote

Any idea what the current turn around time is from order to delivery?

Sporting Days
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:16 am  Reply with quote

jswanson wrote:
Any idea what the current turn around time is from order to delivery?

Six months or less -- but I would say closer to six months from my own personal experience.