16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Where are you headed?
Steve Smith
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:33 am  Reply with quote

A survey I'm taking on the only two sites I vsist much, this one and ours at The Pointing Dog Journal: If you don't mind, please respond with the trips you plan to take this fall -- even if it's to stay home and maybe take a little time off. And also, when do you start really planning your trips, not just thinking about them, given that we have to save a few bucks, put in for vacation time, and so forth?

I'd appreciate your responses, and thanks.

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:05 pm  Reply with quote

Smitty, I'm still waiting for my editor to tell me where to go.

And I'll never give you another opening like that one . . .
Mr. 16 gauge
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

Hello;
I usually start planning my trips a full two years in advance....getting brochures, talking to outfitters, writing the state DNRs for their rules & regs, ect. If I am hunting big game, I check to see whether or not these are "trophy" outifitters (who are usually hunting for racks, and charge accordingly), or if they are just interested in taking standard racks and some meat (which is what I prefer). By planning a couple years in advance, that gives me a little more time to put some money in the bank.

This year, there are no trips planned....we will probably be staying home and hunting on the weekends off (Due to job woes...might be changing jobs soon). I was planning a upland/waterfowl hunt in N.D., but unfortunately my chessie tore her ACL last fall and needed surgery; she is coming along fine, but I have been told that there is a 30% chance of it happening on her other knee, and I will be hunting her lightly (to start) this fall. Hopefully, I can make that ND trip in the fall of 2006. Wink

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:43 pm  Reply with quote

I only have two trips planned this year (don't really need to travel far because I live in some of the best mixed bag hunting in the country). I am planning a 5 day blast and cast trip to North Central Colorado timed to take advantage of the Sage, Sharp Tail and Blue grouse seasons as they overlap early in September and a jaunt up to Central Nebraska to show a couple of nephews what sharp tail grouse look like.

All of my trips are pretty much planned on the go. I hate structure.
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

Steve: I'm retired now and have the time to travel anywhere I want but; after 63 years, I haven't hunted all the places in California yet.I start my season every year with a trip to the Lassen/ Burney area for mountain quail and gray squirrel; I hunt with my Parker GH damascus 12ga and my Parker Trojan 16ga, loading both with 1oz low pressure loads.
Both seasons open in mid-Sept and I start dreaming about that trip as soon as spring turkey ends; come the second week of Sept. I'll be softly walking the morning woods, wearing my PDJ waxed hat. Have a great fall.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

My son and I are traveling to the north central South Dakota area, north of Pierre where we are hunting with Mike Moody in the second week of November; it's a 3 day Combo hunt: mornings are devoted to ducks and geese and afternoons for pheasants. And the pheasants really ARE wild. A friend and I took this same trip a year ago and had a wonderful time.

We try to plan and save for these trips a year in advance, and I took my Golden to a professional trainer for a couple of months. The dog is only 3 this summer and the extra training has advanced him beyond his years---that and the estimated 85-100 wild roosters I've already shot over him.

I would like to take my dog and my son to the Sandhills of Nebraska on a combination hunt and maybe in the fall of 2006 I can....

whtlghtng
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:46 pm  Reply with quote

Great topic for this time of year when every hunter is dreaming of the next great hunt, and fall can not come fast enough.

Our planned hunt goes like this. Two cousins, (chukarhntr and myself) two german shorthair pointers, two Browning 16 ga. Citori's, countless rounds of shells, ten days, and three states full of the best upland birds in the country.

The start will be in the lower southeast portion of Washington state. The first couple of days involve hunting Chukar along the Snake River and stalking pheasant through the rolling wheat fields of the Palouse.

This will be followerd by a couple of days hunting pheasants through the southwest region of big sky country Montana. We will be moving from the Bitteroot Valley south through Dillon until we hit the state line, wrhere we will begin the third phase of the hunt.

The final phase of the trifecta will be a swing through Northern Nevada for the infamous Nevada chukars. This is the new and exciting element of the hunt for us. We have hunted WA, ID, OR, and MT before but the Nevada chukars will be a first. As with all things new this will be the most exciting and the most anticipated part of the trip. We will begin in Wells, then move through Elko, Winnemucca, and Lovelock before we finally have to make the long and unanticipated journey back home.

I can't wait until the fall.

whtlghtng

P.S. Tell your editors because I will be keeping a journal.

Also, since Nevada is new to us, any member input as to where to find the Chukars in Nevada would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:18 am  Reply with quote

Plan? Whats that?
Typical trip is wake up early, grab a quick bite and a pot of coffee, head north up 35 to Minnesota grouse country, usually Pine, or Aiken county. If pheasants and grouse, usually Kanabec county. If Saturday was good, find a motel room, sleep after a quick bite on the road, and do it again Sunday. If the weather, work, or family needs are calling, head home Saturday night. Far, far too much great hunting is within three hours of my driveway, and going out of state doesn't happen all that much. I am a local rough hunter, which means the hunting is often hit or miss, but I know places in the state land inventory that others can only dream about, because they don't live here, and have the time to devote to finding it. I did hunt South Dakota for Pheasants 2 years past, but very little planning was involved.
Best,
Ted
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:20 am  Reply with quote

Pretty much the same trips every year: late summer/early fall to Colorado for trout, numerous weekends to western Kansas for pheasant and quail. Not very original or adventuresome, but homey and comfortable as an old pair of slippers!

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Paul Dwight
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:33 am  Reply with quote

I have a pheasant hunting trip to Dallas, South Dakota planned for Nov 7 -10. I also have a quail hunt in Tellico Plains, Tennessee planned for Oct
I'll be shooting my Merkel 2016 on both trips. I wish I could do more hunting, but my business and family take precedence.

Paul Dwight
Chattanooga
16ga.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:22 pm  Reply with quote
Site Admin
Site Admin

10jun05

I can't resist this one.

Doves- Yuma, AZ and Mexico

Pheasants- South Dakota

Ducks- Kansas

16ga.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:09 pm  Reply with quote

I'm gratified to see that there are a number of serious hunters on this site---which may be one reason we're into 16 gauges. I don't have many conventional vices; unlike most bankers, for instance, I have never golfed. But I love to hunt birds with a fine dog and any shotgun, especially a well-balanced 16 gauge. Here's to all the die-hard bird shooters out there with the broken-in (or down) boots, the Carhartt bibs with the frayed bottoms and the chamois shirts with bird blood on the cuffs---may your trips be successful for this season and for many seasons thereafter.....

Mike Desjarlais
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

Blue grouse hunting in Northern New Mexico starting September 1st, already in the early planning stages. A pheasant hunting trip to Kansas the weekend after Thanksgiving, everything set except the motel, but plan to use the same one as last year. Several quail hunting trips from November through January to southern New Mexico. Those get the least advance plannng. Usually a week in advance.

-Mike
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

My job as a teacher prevents me from taking any extended bird hunting trips, but I'm a weekend warrior from October through January. 2 hours north and I'm in prime grouse hunting country in northern WI. Two hours southwest and I'm in some pretty good pheasant hunting in southern MN and northern IA. I put on about 5000 miles on my truck bird hunting most years. The duck hunting is good right here on the Mississippi River, and we have decent grouse and pheasant hunting nearby, too, but it's more fun to "hit the road."
Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:28 am  Reply with quote

Hoping to take 4 weeks off this fall for grouse and woodcock. Will start in mid-October hunting the Dolly Sods and the Laurel Fork wilderness areas in WV. Then its flight woodcock in Bedford & Somerset Co. in Pa. with an occasional grouse thrown in and end the season with my first trip to Potter & Tioga Co. in northern Pa. for grouse.

Going into coverts becomes less a chase with the sole purpose of killing; it remains important to find game but the gratification-and I keep coming back to that word-is in the beauty of finding it. George Bird Evans A Dog, A Gun, And Time Enough.