16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Where are you headed?
Steve Smith
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:53 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for all your input; it helps to know who goes where when planning magazine issues, especially our Traveling Wingshooter editions.

The fall colors here are peaked in northern Michigan, and there seems to be a few more woodcock than has been the case the last few years, although grouse numbers are still very low. That, however, makes little difference to me because I can't hit them anyway.

Steve

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:12 am  Reply with quote

Hi, Steve. I once knew an old hunter from the mountains around Grayson County, VA.. Everyone thought him to be the finest grouse hunter in three counties. So one day I asked him what his hit average was. He said about 9 out of 10. I said, "That is fantastic wingshooting." He looked at me blankly and asked, "Wingshootin, what is that?" I replied, " You know, hitting them flying." He looked at me like I was a lost child and said flatly, " What kind of damned fool would ever try a stunt like that?"
16minty
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:31 am  Reply with quote

I'm headed to the 'pocono' area in PA this coming monday and tuesday. Gonna take the Fox along see what happens. Anyone from that area, lake wallenpaupak area, or ever hunted there? Offer any advice on places to go for either pheasant or grouse? I dont have any high expectations, I think at this point I would almost rather see some flushes than do any shooting. Here in southeastern PA the average flush must be something like 1 a season!@! Laughing
NE16
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:38 am  Reply with quote

Nothing too exciting for me, not compared to the rest of you. Next Saturday morning I’ll be driving 30 miles to the southeast for the Nebraska pheasant opener. I’ll be taking out one of my Model 12 16s for its first hunt pheasant hunt since I bought it last fall I’m looking forward to seeing if it works as well on the big birds as it did during dove season.
Clay N Feathers
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:55 pm  Reply with quote

I'm flying down from Alaska. Under the cover of darkness I will park about 100 yards from Larry Brown's house and wait till he pulls out of his driveway then follow him.
Actually going where I always go NW Iowa for two weeks.
Have a great hunt guys and gals.
Steve
harduck
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

Minty 16,
Don't know of too many places in the Pocono's with grouse. Head west on Rt. 6 and you can find some good State game lands. As to Pheasant, it's only opening day or at a preserve that will find any significant number of birds. I'm down in the Harleysville area and have a 22 year old son. If you need a hunting bud let me know and we'll see if the two of you can hook up. He can shoot my 16 but prefers a 20 gauge Win model 101.

Good luck,
Doug
cedar16
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:54 am  Reply with quote

Steve; Our anual ruffed grouse camp was a little soggy in Northern MN, rained hard for 20 hours, but our tent was snug and warm. Presently enjoying good pheasant hunting, as the corn is rapidly getting harvested. Will go to N. Central SD for 5 days of pheasant about Nov 7, then ducks somewhere in eastern SD after that (hope it doesn't freeze up by that time), more pheasants and ruffs here in MN through December and maybe desert quail in AZ this year (a first for me if it happens).
16minty
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:38 am  Reply with quote

harduck,

thanks for the offer, i was only up for 2 days this week and just saw your post. We were right off of 6 on 434 (i think) at the gamelands there, didnt hunt though, it was kind of miserable weather so we just fooled around and visit out usual stopping spots. What all is there to hunt (birdwise) in that area? lackawaxen and surrounding areas. I saw in the digest that for the youth hunt they stock along 209 in water gap area. Any good to hunt pheasant there? (only spot we could find that had descent looking cover was at a radio control plane clubs land, know where i mean?) thanks for any advise you could offer
woodcock
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:20 pm  Reply with quote

Three annual excursions--The North and South Zone Texas dove openers respectively, and an annual two weeks in the western Canadian provinces for the Grey partridge and the Sharptails. Otherwise, here in Louisiana, I have little reason to travel far from home----our license plates read "Sportsman's Paradise".
wingshooter
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

SW Kansas and SE Nebraska mid December, quail in TX from now til Feb.

Mike
Yellow dog
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

So glad I found this forum!!!!

i just got back from Central Pa from a pheasant hunt with 2 friends.
We ended up with 14 birds!

Although pictured holding my buddies 12 O/U [I'm in blue] Rolling Eyes I took these birds with my Stevens 530a 16 SxS.

And no, we didn't shoot the dog, 'ol Belle just found a good smell and deceided to gaitor away!!!!LOL