16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Ultra FW 16
Swampy16
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:04 am  Reply with quote

Anyone see this? Anyone familiar with these?
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/912458547
df
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:53 am  Reply with quote

Is it an older 37 that’s been converted to choke tubes?
Or is it the more recent manufactured, five or so years ago.
I had one of the later, but was not called a lightweight and it had pistol grip and standard wood. It was a nice gun, but quite heavy, so I sold it.
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:57 am  Reply with quote

I see someone named "Swampy16!" won the auction.

Now I wonder who that is???

Congrats!
Swampy16
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:54 am  Reply with quote

Very Happy it’s a Sandusky made gun and I can’t wait to get my hands on it. I believe they had choke tubes.
Lewis295
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:04 am  Reply with quote

I've seen a few in 20, and search every so often for one 16. Would love to have, or at least hold one. I'm assuming you bought it? If so, I'm very jealous!
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:08 am  Reply with quote

The first model 37 Ultra Featherweight
https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/ithaca-model-37-ultra-featherlight-20-gauge/

The 20g Ultra Featherweight English had a straight stock, and it was my favorite Missouri/Kansas quail gun for several years

Swampy16
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:36 am  Reply with quote

Lewis295 wrote:
I've seen a few in 20, and search every so often for one 16. Would love to have, or at least hold one. I'm assuming you bought it? If so, I'm very jealous!

Yes sir, I did. I had to have it.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:32 pm  Reply with quote

Swampy16 wrote:
Very Happy it’s a Sandusky made gun and I can’t wait to get my hands on it. I believe they had choke tubes.

Congrats Swampy what a great score! Should come in right around 6 pounds and yes the choke tubes are factory mine came with 3.

Actually it was made in King Ferry, NY around 99. They did a special run of 500 of them. They were marketed as the English Deluxe Ultralight 37 but the box reads Ultra Featherlight English

Was a bit worried at first that an English straight grip on a pump may not work for me. No worries, turns out works just fine for me....

Well until degenerative arthritis started setting up in my wrists and body the last few years.

Shoot that new gun of yours well and often Swampy, and hope it harvests a lot of grouse for you! Great gun.
Swampy16
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:36 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Cold Iron. I figured you’d be along soon. Yours is the only other one I’ve seen. Now I’m selling my 20 because I know I won’t use it anymore.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

Swampy yeah I seen that. I am at the cabin in the tip of the Mn. Arrowhead now grouse hunting, on second week with another week to go. No cell phone reception or internet unless go up to the main lodge. Last night went up and came back and my hunting partner mentioned a 37 20 ga. with 2 bbls. for sale. I said yep a 28" Mod and 26" IC perfect gun you should buy it. LOL only a few minutes with internet and we both seen it. Hey I tried to help you and he is a 20 ga. guy....

I have tried the 20 ga. more than a few times and have a Dickinson Plantation Sporter that I shoot lights out on clays. But still prefer the 16 it is what I grew up with. At one time I owned all 3 Ultralight Sid Bell grip gun cap 20 ga. guns that Ithaca made. Phez, quail and the deerslayer.

But just don't shoot them as well as the 16 ga. guns. And that Deerslayer at less than 6 pounds will get your attention really fast and not in a good way.

The UL you just scored is perfect IMO. The alloy receiver with 26" bbls. handle just a touch better than the older 26" IC 16 ga. 37's. Not that I will ever give up mine

Although did sell one to someone on here not long ago but will keep my main one.

Thoughts on a rainy day at grouse camp on the Canadian border....

If my wrists and body were still healthy no need to use anything but the English Ultralight Deluxe.

Brought 3 guns with me this year for 3 weeks of bird hunting. Sweet 16 with Briley modified 23" bbl. and Mark Larson modified grip. Meh... works but it is an auto loader only used it the first couple of days in case hit a brood with a couple of birds.

Switched to the CZ Sharptail 16 ga. that had Colonial install tubes in. At 7.5 pounds it is a pig for carry any distance. Killed most every bird I have shot at with it though. But it really is a pig of a gun.

FAIR Iside double trigger is my main gun and really liking it more every time I carry it. And also seem to kill every bird I shoot at with it made some shots with it that impress even me.

Would put it up there with my gold standard which is the 37 English Ultralight 16 ga. or pre 55 16 37's. If my body wasn't falling apart would be no need to use anything else. Then again if pigs had wings....

This year brought just the son of my current 7 year old Toller, the pup just turned one. First year is to get the dog birdy and have fun, with discipline of course. Couldn't ask for anything more and there are better places to hunt grouse. But it is going perfect and watching the light bulb come on in the pup is worth any gun at any price.

Swampy16
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:16 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for helping me try to sell the 20, lol. I appreciate it. I love my Iside. I shoot it better than any gun I’ve ever grouse hunted with. Hoping I shoot my Ultra as well.
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

Awesome 37, Swampy. Looks like a keeper to me.