16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Commie hammergun - sixteen gauge of course
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:29 pm  Reply with quote

For sale at Cabelas:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun_inventory/inventory/ritchfield/european_sg/625749_baikal103.jsp?hierarchyId=11653

Mike

fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:15 am  Reply with quote

Pretty cheap price; could be kinda cool!

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
bustingclays
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

Every time I see one of the Baikal or Spartan shotguns I get a personal Laughing . They are firearms that are , well spartan, to say the least, but I do know some folks who love them for that and shoot them very well.

My laugh is that I believe that the Russians are manufacturing these in former weapons (read nuclear) facilities with their trained technicians from the Cold War (or that is my thought anyway).

I had the chance not too long ago to review some proposals from former USSR "scientists" through a program that our State Department sponsored (funded through Congress). Kind of like the Boys Club - keep the kids out of the nuclear weapons factory and everybody is happier Wink

Dr. 16 Gauge
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:25 pm  Reply with quote

I thought it was cool too.

British proofs and the "Made in the USSR" is in English - kind of odd.

I wonder how much it weighs?

Dr. 16 gauge - next time you are talking to those old Russian rocket scientists please ask them to come up with a 3/4 ounce 16ga load in a Cheddite 2-1/2 hull with either SG16 or a TC 16 wad, no fillers - and that I can load in a MEC 9000G they have altered to fit the shorter hull.

I can't get it done and I am an alcoholic Aggie plumber so it is obviously going to have to go up to the next skill level.

Thanks!

Mike

bustingclays
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:34 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Mike:

I load (on a Mec Jr) the following 2.5 inch loading:

cheddite hull (2.5 inch - cut myself Wink )
13.5 grains green dot (#23 bushing)
nobel sport primer
sg16 wad
7/8 oz 8.5s

works for me (with standard disclaimer for you) - pretty close to several loads on the reloader group spread sheet...

I'm betting you could drop down to 3/4 oz by upping the bushing to #24 (about 14 grians or so)

let me know (and remember the disclaimer.....)

Dr. 16 Gauge
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:46 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Doc:

Are you using the MEC short kit? If not in explanation it is a 1/4" steel plate cut to fit on top of the last three stations.

On my sizemaster (very similar to the Jr) I have been using longshot and a #19 bushing and all kindsof fillers. and the crimp winds up having to be about an 1/8" deep and it is hrad to get consistency.

The 9000G is a progressive indexing loader and my dream is to load 15 boxes an hour of 3/4 oz #9s for shooting out 5lbs-12oz 16 gauges at skeets. I have been unable to get it to crimp deep enough. I have tried lenthening the plunger in the next to the last station but the cup doesn't come down far enough. I had a new larger cam wheel made for the cup but the cam engages the wheel too early and causes the cup to miss the top of the shell as it descends and hang on it.

Thanks!

Mike

Thanks!

Mike

bustingclays
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:23 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Mike:

No - I am not using a short kit - I improvised with a set of metal strapping that I c-clamp on for the last 2 stations on the JR. I don't load enough 2.5 inch to mess with it too much. Just sent the last three guns with short chambers to Mr. Orlen to fix the problem Wink .

If you are loading 15 boxes per, you must be addicted to skeet as I am. I have shot 26 rounds of skeet (since Sunday the 24th) this week already (8 stations no waiting at my club this time of year Cool Wink ) and I still have Saturday to go.

I have Mec grabbers for 410, 28, 20, 16, and 12. I also have a JR for "extra" 16s in different loadings and a JR for 3 inch 410s. I just have not brought myself to upgrade to 9000Gs........

Dr. 16 Gauge
henrik
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:40 pm  Reply with quote

bustingclays wrote:
Gentlemen:

Every time I see one of the Baikal or Spartan shotguns I get a personal Laughing . They are firearms that are , well spartan, to say the least, but I do know some folks who love them for that and shoot them very well.

My laugh is that I believe that the Russians are manufacturing these in former weapons (read nuclear) facilities with their trained technicians from the Cold War (or that is my thought anyway).

Actually the russians have been making guns for hunting for hundreds of years, some of the more expensive ones are very nice and well made. This one could be a good buy, although the "Made in USSR" stamp is not unusual at all, as claimed in the ad.
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

Dr. 16 gauge I am addicted - my record is 32 rounds in one day shooting 3/4 ounce loads through an 16 ga English Gallyon - 5lbs - 12 oz. I actually worked up a load with the 16 gauge reloaders group for 2-1/4" hulls and that is what i was shooting that day.

Henrik - then the USSR made shotguns for export to England, Australia, USA, Canada, India? That surprises me - I never thought of them as exporters of consumer goods.

Thanks!

Mike

bustingclays
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Mike:

WOW - 32 rounds of skeet in ONE DAY Shocked You da man Cool . My best is 16 rounds (includs a 100 straight) with 28 gauge (SKB 383 sxs), although I have not tried to set the record - hmmmm.....

Sounds as if we need to start an "My name is (state your name here) and I'm a skeetaholic" group which could be a splinter faction of the 16ga.com forum. Maybe you and I could be the inaugural members.

I've been through Amarillo many times on I40 - how close are you to the planted caddys?

I wake up in a sweat some nights when the weather is bad - praying that the skeet barricade (keeps the shot on club land) has not fallen over. So far this year it has braved 60+ mph winds with 75 mph gusts and a 3/4 inch ice storm - WHEW.....

How about sporting clays, 5-stand, and crazy quail? shoot those regularly too???

Dr. 16 Gauge
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:55 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Dr 16:

Excuse me for my much delayed reply!

Nah - we dont want to start a recovery group for that - it might work.

My quantity may be higher but your quality is higher. I have never shot a 100 straight in my life.

I am going to PM you my cellphone and next time you are through here I will let you learn how to buy a Texan supper! I am about 5 miles east of the Cadillac ranch.

When dove season starts I pretty well am off the clays till 1st of March (Quail season usually ends the last weekend in February). I shoot 5 stand and go to Silverleaf north of OKcity to shoot sporting clays a few times a summer. The local club has a 5stand and i shoot it about as much as I do skeet.

For me clays are to hunting as methadone is to heroin. But I see the heroin addicts lining up in front of the clinic early every morning so that shows a strong affection I think!

Again please pardon my delayed reply.

Mike