16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Price of Lead
wscato
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

Was at the local Gander Mountain yesterday and they were wanting $35.99 for a 25# bag of shot!!
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

Last time I looked at the Amarillo Gander it was $32.95. I just bought a dozen bags this late summer from Gene Sears in Oklahoma (El Reno?) for $20 for magnum.

Mike

flyline
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:42 pm  Reply with quote

I bought some #8 from Sportsman's Warehouse in Aurora, CO for $25.99 a couple of weeks ago. They still have the best prices around for reloading.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:43 pm  Reply with quote

Just this morning I bought 2- 25# bags of #8 shot from our local club at $18.50/bag (member price, and the supply is about gone!) The middle of the week, I bought a bag of hard #9's from the Warsaw, IN Kosko Gun Club for $20.52 with tax. But last Sunday at Gander Mountain in Merrillville, IN they wanted $24.99/25# bag. Everyone says it's going up, big time...

bustingclays
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:57 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

I am in charge of Pb shot sales at my home club - this year alone I have ordered 6.25 tons (in the 25# bags), delivered to the club from our supplier and sold at cost plus $0.50 delivery fee per bag and sales tax. Right now what I have on hand is selling for $20.89 (total - bag price was $19.09).

In fact, just today I have ordered another ton to be delivered, hopefully next week. However I wanted all 4 shot sizes below and I think our supplier has only 8s and 8.5s.

Our source price this year has ranged from $17 per bag to the latest $19.99 (this latest order if we get it) for chilled to magnum in 7.5, 8, 8.5, and 9s - compare this to the 14 tons Shocked of Pb shot we ordered and sold in 2004 at no more than $12 per bag. We started this year ordering chilled and magnum Lawrence brand, then the price went up and the supply down and we got STARSHOT from Argentina and now the last 2 orders have been ONLY mag shot and EAGLE brand (from Peru) - beats me how this stuff can be mined on another continent, manufactured, shipped and then dispersed in the environment here for less than what it costs to do the same here (and I live in what is known as the lead belt in IL and MO).

The STARSHOT has an inside liner plastic bag in the cloth bag that is tied with an overhand knot - I can just picture the Argentian dude with a cig hanging out of his mouth covered in Pb dust tying this knot Shocked

For those of you interested - there are 80 bags per ton!

Another fun fact - I have about 40 bags in my basement (my personal stash - I go through about 30 bags per year to support my habit), but a friend of mine has about 100 bags (and some of his were bought when it was $8 per bag!) in his basement.

Dr. 16 Gauge
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

Lead shot prices have gotten out of hand ----now primers,wads and powder have also taken a turn towards the high end-----This will only drive more folks away from our sport Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Toss in the cost of gas,food,etc and many folks simply won't be able to partake in the shotgun sports this coming year Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:49 am  Reply with quote

bustingclays wrote:

In fact, just today I have ordered another ton to be delivered, hopefully next week.

This was posted Sunday December 31, 2006 at 4:57pm. Color me curious, but do many businesses that sell lead shot by the ton conduct their business on a Sunday?
bustingclays
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:16 pm  Reply with quote

onfunzr:

fyi - filled out the gun club request for funds expenditure (any purchase over $25 requires this form), got the four required signatures (Vice Pres, Treasurer, Range Officer, and Security Officer - all sitting in clubhouse Sunday am) and handed it to Treasurer to call and place order on Tuesday am - to be delivered Thursday (if Pb in stock)..... order out of my hands and in the pipeline Wink

Dr. 16 Gauge
old16
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

It shouldn't be long before the large manufactures will realize that if they don't make an effort on the to get the prices back in line when the economy is not so great that they will soon be worring about keeping their doors open.

The amount of people that are working as temporary help is great nowdays. And the wages cannot handle this kind of sport.

Regardless what the news tries to tell us about the economy it is getting to be in a very bad state.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:46 am  Reply with quote

The demand for lead is up world wide. China, indonesian, European, and turkish manufacturers are competing for any of the metals which are commonly used in mamufacturing cars, appliances, and electronics.

Lead is used in solder, batteries, insulation, sheathing, fasteners, etc., etc. as well as in some types of paint, in chemicals etc. Get used to the high price for the time being. The price will not be coming down until the lead mines are in full operation world wide. I saw this begin to happen over 5 years ago, and like anyone with the insight, stocked up on shot if the price was right. However, I also augment my supply with cheap ammo if available and of course, the occasional bargain buy from folks selling off their unwanted stock if they quit reloading or shooting. This is becoming common here in the Northeast.

Lead ore is not rare. It is in fact, quite common. However, a large number of mining firms curtailed operations in the last two decades due to a market glut. The situation is now reversed. Demand is up, but production is lagging. It will take several more years to offset this imbalance and the price will remain high for the time being.

Lead will never be mined widely or cheaply here in the US again due to environmental restrictions. I don't view this as bad. The stuff is toxic as death itself if handled wrong, and lead mine tailings are one of the worst pollutants imaginable. They are very hard to remove cheaply and they can screw up the ecosystem in short order. Some of the polluted sites created in the 19th century are still beyond reclaiming as we speak.They will remain toxic and uninhabitable for centuries.

the folks in Peru, Chile, and other third world lead producing countries don't worry about their environment and the health of their people like we do here in America. They will pay the price too in lives, health, well-being and in money too. Make no mistake. Cheap lead is a myth.
wscato
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:01 pm  Reply with quote

Definitely not a deal 6 months ago but I found shot 4 bags shipped for $102.96.

http://conniescomponents.com/northwest_magnum_shot.html

This is cheaper than me buying locally!
bustingclays
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:22 am  Reply with quote

16gg

Living in the Pb-belt has been an interesting experience. Some of my scholarly research efforts have demonstrated that Phillippe Renaux mined and smelted Pb here around St. Louis in the late 1700s - records of the 60-70% that went up in the smoke of the open furnaces is still in the lake sediments downwind of the crude smelters.

Further, one of the largest Superfund Pb sites - National Lead in Granite City IL is still a source of Pb contamination in the environment - our data shows Pb levels in recent lake sediments of 300-400 ppm. That pile was covered over back in the early 90s - most of the Pb at that time was from recycled auto batteries. EPA spent millions to remediate - even excavating private residence backyards and replacing the topsoil.

Now that the price of Pb has gone up I am just waiting for someone to re-open the pile and mine this readily available source Shocked Wink

Dr. 16 Gauge