16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Help with shopping
Kiwishooter
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

I'm hoping that some of you here can help me spend some money on reloading gear Laughing So, what is the basic gear requird to start loading?

I'm starting from scratch and intend to buy a Mec Sizemaster but don't know what other gear is needed. I'll have to buy primers and powder locally but don't know if the basic Sizemaster needs extra "things", if I need a scale or.......

I'm heading to Canada on Saturday for a week on business and will have a small window of opportunity to try some of the stores in Toronto (any suggestions on where would be appreciated too!). I can't find specific 16 gauge loaders or components here and would have to ship them in from someone like Grafs so being able to eyeball the products first would be a real bonus.

I intend to load 2 1/2" in 7/8oz plus 1oz in spreaders. I would also be loading 2 3/4" in 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz hunting loads.

Thanks in advance!

Ross
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

Get a scale ---whether balance beam or digital Very Happy
Kiwishooter
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

Is there a particularbrand or style of scale to look for?

Once I've got it what do I use it for? Embarassed
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:33 pm  Reply with quote

You'll use the scale to double check your loads. Most powder and shot bushings I've used are light and won't throw the weight you think they are. Probably due to manufactureres liability issues. Personally, I like an electronic scale but I have used a balance beam scale for years also.

Get a good reloading manual with tested loads. Most powder manufactureres have their data on line but it's nice to have written data handy when you're reloading.

If you are loading for 16 gauge I would highly recommend joining the low pressure reloading group. Hundreds of good loads for the gauge that have been tested.

If you are working up loads for specific purposes, load few and see if they suit your purposes. That way you don't end up with a lot of loads you don't need or want.

Good luck!

Matt
Kiwishooter
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Matt
What is the best reloading manual(s) to buy?

I have joined the low pressure reloading group, have the recipes, now just need to know how to assemble them Smile
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

I have the Lyman 4th. edition of shotshell reloading, however, that may be dated and there may be something more recent. This is a good starting point as it gives you an overview of the entire reloading process with definitions of the various components, case identification etc. Also, all the major powder manufactureres have their own manuals. HOWEVER, no manual is going to give you a lot of info on the 16ga so it's good you joined the reloader group.

Once you become familiar with the components and the process, decide what you want to reload (target loads, hunting loads, etc.) and ask questions here and on the reloading forum. You will get good advice on loads, components, where to buy etc. When assemblying the loads use the scale to check every 10th. or 15th. load to make sure you're reloading what you think you are!

Matt
jim18611865
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:56 am  Reply with quote

If getting extras in your country is a problem, I suggest a Universal Charge bar.
You can dial in exact shot and powder weights you want, and never have to worry if I need another $3 bushing + $28 shipping.
All 3 (12,16,20) of my 8567's have them.
Also you may need somethig to load those 2 1/2" shells. A MEC short kit I believe. $35.99 @ BP
Also if you shoot more than 1000 rounds a year, seriously consider a progressive, but the 2 1/2's would be a problem on that one.
Ditto the Lyman 4th Ed.

Good luck!
Kiwishooter
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:53 am  Reply with quote

HOA, Matt & Jim
Thanks for your advice - I'll let you know how I get on.

Ross
brdhnt
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:21 pm  Reply with quote

Kiwi,

I would also add that a good scale is a neccesity. The RCBS or Lyman scales either beam or electronic are very similar in function and price. I use both a beam and an electronic scale. The one problem with the elctronics is that they are so sensitive that you may have to shut off the heat or air conditioning vents when reloading which makes for an uncomfortable environment. I use my beam scale on my bench in the garage where I have fans and a forced air heater and my electronic scale on the inside bench where I can just close the heating/ac vent.

I would also second the sugestion for a Universal Charge Bar. They are great when you need to 'tweak' loads a little and even different lots of powder can effect your powder throw weights. I will often start working up a load and find that I don't have the bushing that throws just what I need, so I use the Universal bar.

The Sizemaster is a very good machine and I maintain that you need to start to reload on a single stage press and then if the volume warrants it go to a progressive. I have and use both. Large amounts of target loads are cranked out on the progressives but the hunting loads and experimental loads are all done on the single stage presses.

Enjoy!

TMB
________
Asian Cooking