16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  bp or subs and brass cases
Tulsey
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:02 am  Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone has any experience loading bp or subs in 16 ga and or using the all brass casings. I have done some 20 ga brass hulls for cowboy shooting and am thinking about expanding that to 16 or just loading up some plastic 16 hulls with bp or subs. thanks
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:10 am  Reply with quote

I have tried loading BP in 16 gauge plastic hulls, with no success.
I can't find a plastic wad short enough to allow for shot, after powder is placed. I'm sure it can be done fiber wads without to much trouble.

DDawg
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:22 pm  Reply with quote

Yep, tryed bp in plastic cases with plastic wads that were modified to fit. Won't do that again. Bp melted every thing, and spread the melted mess all the way down the barrel. Now it is brass cases and paper wads!!! The 16ga brass case is my favorite to reload. Have been reloading them for longer than I can remember. With you already loading the 20's you know bigger wads for the thin cases. For the last few years I have been using 14ga wads in the magtech 16ga cases. Also, Grafs has the magtech cases that use the large pistol primers. That should make reloading a bunch easier. Most of my cases (Alcan, Japanese, South American, magtech ) were modified for the 209 shotgun primer from the berdan primers. Medium loads and no crimping, I am getting over 20 loads out of them. Most failures have been the primer pocket walls breaking off. Four were at load 18. At twentyfive I just retire them. Good luck
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

Ddawg,
I do load 12 gauge plastic hulls, with PYRODEX powder, and plastic wads.
I have no problem with melting wads or hulls. I can shoot a full round of skeet without cleaning the barrels with no problem.

DDawg
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:29 pm  Reply with quote

Dave, I am sure I used something like fff bp. Now this was back in the early 1970's or..... Embarassed What was I talking about. Seriously; when I tried it it was a mess. So, I have not tried shooting any bp in a lot of years. Glad it work for you. Must be a hoot to shoot a round of skeet with black powder!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Take care
311A 16ga
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:08 pm  Reply with quote

16 guage load for my 311A Stevens:

Triple Seven works for me; leaves a black bore with first shot but really no buildup and comes clean with a water scrub.

3.1cc measure of 2F Triple Seven and a 13 guage nitro card followed by 16 ga 10mm fiber wad filler, then BP-12 plastic wad with 4 slits to base with 1-1/4" cork and 1-1/8" felt inside then 1oz lead shot and finally 1-20ga nitro card on top.

When all componets are assembled the BP-12 wad will not be entirely within the shell. Apply enough wad pressure so that the wad is approximately 1/16" below the shell lip. The 20ga nitro card wad will be approximately 1/4" below the wad lip and will securely hold the shot in.

Worked great on preserve pheasants last December 23rd (my 70th birthday!), my sons and their friend got a kick out of seeing the smoke, and the flash during the first few shots with just enough light to see the cocks from the hens.