16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Browning A5
PeteM
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:26 am  Reply with quote

Can someone answer some (probably) pretty basic questions concerning the Browning guns? I've been looking at 16 gauge A5s on some internet auction sites. I notice the "Sweet Sixteen" sells for quite a bit more than a regular 16 gauge A5. What are the differences between these two? What should I expect to pay for either one? When did they start making them in 2 3/4 inch length? Can the shorter chambered ones be lengthened? Would this be considered sacrilegious? If not, could any good gunsmith do this? Finally, where's some good reference material on the Brownings so I can read up? Thanks in advance.

Pete
Brian Meckler
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:15 pm  Reply with quote

The first Browning Skeet Model Auto-5 was introduced in 1935 in both 12 gauge and 16 gauge. Browning added the Sweet Sixteen to its line in 1937 to provide a lightweight model of the 16-ga. shotgun. The "Sweet Sixteen" was an instant success as a skeet gun because of its light weight. The Trap Model Auto-5 was offered as early as 1903 in various configurations but was discontinued in 1970.

The lighter weight is the reason the sweet 16 is more. That's the one you want, it's worth the little more $$$$
popplecop
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:05 pm  Reply with quote

I have a Belgin Sweet 16 with 28" Mod. VR barrel. It's the only semi auto shotgun I own and it's a great shotgun. The gun was given to me by a friend as he knew I liked 16s and he had quit hunting. I am a very fortunate person. If you can swing it get the Sweet 16, Belgin or Japanese, you won't regret it.
PeteM
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:37 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Pete
Brian Bandt
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

I have a belgum made sweet sixteen vintage 1963. I own a dozen guns, but it's my favorite. Thus, I don't dare shoot steel from it. Any known options for public land? Can a steel-ready A5 barrel fit?
offhand35
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:12 am  Reply with quote

The Browning Auto-5 16ga was not offered with 2 3/4" chamber until after May, 1940. Since this was when Belgium was invaded by the Nazis, you will only see them from after 1946 or so......

It is a big deal to change the Auto-5 from 2 9/16" (65mm) to 2 3/4" (70mm) chamber. Not only does the chamber have to be lengthened, but the ejection port has to be milled longer, and the ejector on the barrel extension has to be replaced with a moveable one. There also may be some milling involved there.

I'm not sure I would ask an "ordinary" gunsmith to do this unless they have SUCCESSFULLY done that conversion before. I don't know if Browning is still offering that service.

I personally think that this conversion would only be "sacariligeous" if you were to have it done on a mint Grade 3 or higher, since whenever you read anything about JMB, his intent was always for his guns to be used by "ordinary" people.

I just took delivery of a 1934 16ga standard Grade 2 Auto-5. It is significantly lighter than the std 12ga. I can imagine the 10oz. less of the Sweet 16 model would be pretty nice.
john555
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:28 pm  Reply with quote

Pete

I am no expert on A-5s, however I own two Belgian Sweet Sixteens and two Belgian domestic A-5s. ( non export models ). After reading your post, curiousity got the best of me and I checked the barrels and chamber lenghts. The domestic models were made in 1934 and 1937, I know this for a fact as I could not identify the serial numbers with the Browning website and phoned their historian who gave me the build dates. He told me a few of the domestic Brownings were brought to North America by returning servicemen after WW II.

Back to the matter of chamber lengths, both domestics are stamped Acier Special-C.16-Cart. 2 3/4 - 63.5 mm. Fabrique Nationale Darmes De Guerre
Herstal Belgique. I do not know the history of the owners, however it is possible the barrels have been changed but it is a strange coincedence that they are exactly the same.

The Belgian Sweet Sixteen have the standard stamping of Special Steel - Sixteen Gauge- Shells 2 3/4. Browning Arms etc. Made in Belgium.

I do not know if this is any help or adds more confusion, but you will never find a better auto .

Regards
John
Scolari
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:21 am  Reply with quote

I never understood the relationship with Japan and their Belgum brother. A couple years ago I bought a Browning Gold. It was made in Japan. I recently bought an extra barrel for it and it was made in Belgum. I'm not sure who makes what.
offhand35
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:09 am  Reply with quote

Embarassed Well.....that just goes to show that there are exceptions to everything......
I am not really an expert on Auto 5's, just a fan....I've had couple Auto 5' in the past, as well as several Remington Model 11's, and pre-Model 11's, [simply called the Remington Autoloading Shotgun].
I do have a few books on the Auto 5, and was using the most recent one by H.M. Shirley, and A. Vanderlinden, former Secretary of the Browning Collector's Ass'n who now works with FN and the FN Historical Society, for my information....
mdoerner
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:40 pm  Reply with quote

Don't forget to consider either the Remington 11 or Savage 720 if you're simply looking for a shooter. I have a Savage 720 and am quite pleased with it. Also if it get's "dinged" its less money that's getting "dinged" if you know what I mean. Good Luck!

Mike Doerner
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:36 am  Reply with quote

Yes, you can get the same humpback "fix" with a Remington 11. While I agree with Meckler that the Browning Sweet Sixteen is the prime choice, you can still fall in love with a Remington 11 or a regular Browning A5 in 16 gauge.

I had a Sweet Sixteen for a while, but it ended up being trade fodder for some other gun. Later, I bought the Remington 11 below for $185.00. It was very good shape mechanically, so I had the gun professionally reblued with a new pad installed.I gave it a TruOil finish myself. I've got under $400.00 involved and this gun is every bit as sweet (to me anyway) as the Sweet Sixteen with which I had about $900.00 invested.

It weighs a few ounces more than my old Sweet Sixteen, but it's well balanced and the forend and pistol grip are small and have the "16 gauge just right feel." It carries "light." I took it skeet shooting this summer and shot the best skeet I've ever shot! That was with a tight Modified (.021). choke!

It's probably the gun with which I shoot my best right now. I can't wait to follow my Wirehairs with it come November.

Grab a regular 16 gauge A5 or Remington 11 if you see one in good mechanical shape. Give it some TLC and you won't be disappointed!