16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Tested load comes out over pressure
pumpgun
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:09 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
LOL on the BPI!!
I am not a big DownRange lover, heck, we had to come up with the data for the DR16. Some of their wads 12S0 and 12S3 clones down right suck. I don't have a lot of confidence in DownRange. I really wish that Claybuster was making the DR16.

+1
The Federal 12g clones are undersized for straight walled hulls, and the resin they use doesn't like colder temps. This includes the DR16. They perform poorly in cold weather. I'm definitely not suggesting it's a design flaw of the DR16, clearly they've taken other proven designs, and produced a sub-par copy. The XL-1 seems to be the exception. I'm not sure id its their own design, but it works very well in the cold.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:56 am  Reply with quote

pumpgun wrote:
MSM2019 wrote:
LOL on the BPI!!
I am not a big DownRange lover, heck, we had to come up with the data for the DR16. Some of their wads 12S0 and 12S3 clones down right suck. I don't have a lot of confidence in DownRange. I really wish that Claybuster was making the DR16.

+1
The Federal 12g clones are undersized for straight walled hulls, and the resin they use doesn't like colder temps. This includes the DR16. They perform poorly in cold weather. I'm definitely not suggesting it's a design flaw of the DR16, clearly they've taken other proven designs, and produced a sub-par copy. The XL-1 seems to be the exception. I'm not sure id its their own design, but it works very well in the cold.

The XL series of wads
DRXL 1 1/8 BLUE
DRXL1 GREEN
DRXXL ORANGE
DRXXL PINK
JAMMER XL1

Were designed by Kevin. Most of the others are molds that were picked up along the way including the Dusters, I use orange duster for 20 ga.

If I am going to commit 12 ga. I have cases each of
DRXL 1 1/8 BLUE
DRXL1 GREEN
DRXXL PINK
to take me from 7/8-1 1/8.

I have thousands of Rem STS and Nitro hulls. Never loaded a straight walled hull in 12 ga. and everytime I see a 12 ga. straight wall hull I think Euro trash. Same for the 20 and have a couple thousand AA CF plus an ungodly amount of 20 GC I stopped saving them.

Only straight wall hulls I load are the 16. For obvious reasons LOL. How I spent my Christmas Eve

Loaded up a few more this morning so should have enough for the next couple of weeks of 5 stand league. Need to move some bags of shot around and clean the reloading room and then tomorrow will crack a keg of the new green dot to load shells to send in for testing.

Did start moving things around for shot storage and this morning found this speaking of Green Dot. Sitting on the wad hopper with SG16 wads. $104.99 and it isn't that old.

The good ole days weren't that long ago.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:06 pm  Reply with quote

jim18611865 wrote:
Cold Iron,

My two 8 pounders of Green Dot were(are) quite new. I bought them in Jan of 2020 through the club. We get components from CAC. Yes they were new packaging with the green lids.
I still have most of one of them.

Jim

Jim it IS the new "improved" cleaner burning Green Dot powder. Despite the fact that Alliant Reloading said on SGW that there is no change in the formulation with the green lid just in the manufacturing process. I call Bull puckey on them.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads/alliant-new-red-and-green-dot.465672/#post-3822716

In large part due to you bringing this up decided it was time to test the new Green Dot. Cost me $400 I sent in 15 sets of loads and it is HOT compared to the black lid powder of just a few years ago. It was a pain loading them all and expensive but have some answers now and want to thank you for bringing this up.

Some on Trapshooters.com are now starting to notice the same thing. Depends on several factors but we see it in the sub gauges before they do in the 12 is my experience.

Turns out Precision Reloading had tested your same exact load it is on the data sheet they will send you if you ask them for tested loads for the 16. I loaded up your load as well but with 1 oz. of shot instead of 15\16 to match their data point. Because it was in 2019 when the switch was just coming out pretty sure they used the old green dot. I was able to pretty much verify your load that Tom did for you.

Light blue is the Precision load with old green dot.
Light green is your load that Tom tested.
The bottom one is that Precision just did for me.

I have 14 more loads to go through yet I've glanced at them but wanted to get this out to you first. And again thank you for having it tested and bringing up the issue to start with.

I can tell you even though I've glanced at the other loads they are all hot compared to the 16 ga. spreadsheets and previous information posted on here. I will likely send Precision at least 2 more sets yet I'm a bit disturbed over the DR16 load for one.
jim18611865
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:23 am  Reply with quote

Yes the 12 gauge shells I sent in match very close to what Alliant publishes.
Thanks for the major effort.

Jim
harkom
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:30 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you both for the time, trouble and expense taken to alert everybody.
As an afterthought do you think that the spreadsheets can have a warning added to alert users regarding the change in GD with a timepoint?