16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16ga LPG recipe
3drahthaars
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:13 am  Reply with quote

Well, I reloaded some 2-3/4" Herters purple Chedites yesterday using a 16ga LPG tested recipe...

re: 16ga LPG 8/15/2009 (Patrick Bianconi)
15/16oz, UNIQUE and SP16 wad

The column height came up short, and I found that I had to add a 3/16 thick wool felt insert to get a decent crimp.

In retrospect, a XSpreader may have done the same...

But, I thought I'd share for those who may be interested ...

Bob
makintrax73
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:22 pm  Reply with quote

3drahthaars wrote:
Well, I reloaded some 2-3/4" Herters purple Chedites yesterday using a 16ga LPG tested recipe...

re: 16ga LPG 8/15/2009 (Patrick Bianconi)
15/16oz, UNIQUE and SP16 wad

The column height came up short, and I found that I had to add a 3/16 thick wool felt insert to get a decent crimp.

In retrospect, a XSpreader may have done the same...

But, I thought I'd share for those who may be interested ...

Bob

You could try the SG16 wad. I'm working on 15/16 in a 65mm Cheddite at the moment. I'm using the SG16S and even with the shorter wad I get some collapse of the cushion. Unique takes up some space. The load is at 1150 fps but prefer not to state charge weight until I get it in for testing since it is not a book load.
putz463
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:12 pm  Reply with quote

I'm guessing that some of why the LP/SP16 load has such relatively low PSI is the "misfit" between the Herters/Ched hull & SP16 = some blow-by. By swapping the SG16 into that recipe with a more appropriate fit in the Herters hull could raise pressure.

If I were faced with the same situation and not happy with the felt filler, I'd look toward swapping in either the CB100 or CB078-16 (Win clones), RE; similar powder cup dia to the SP16 and longer crush section, might negate the need for a felt filler and keep pressure near where the original recipe is.

As always, if wildcatting, sending a few in for testing is prudent.

3drahthaars
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

makintrax73,

Actually, I typo'd it was the SG16 that I used not SP16... needs the felt spacer under the shot.

It was tested at 1208fps 7933psig.
PatrickB
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:26 pm  Reply with quote

Not sure why my name would be included here on a tested load that was shared amongst a private group (LPG) but always good to hear feedback from others experiences with reloading - we are all part of the 16ga family after all.

I have no idea about the load as 2009 was a long time ago and this was not a load I used (probably was working on some load strategy that went another direction). That said and in my defense, as I consider myself a reloader of quality loads, the tested recipe was with a cheddite PAPER hull, so not sure about fit with a plastic hull. I somewhat recall the paper hulls were slightly shorter but I might be mistaken about that.
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:06 am  Reply with quote

Patrick, check your PMs. Wink