16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Baikal 16ga ou
Pbking51
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:37 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone ever encounter one?
I cut my teeth in trap and sport clays with my ol' 1100 12ga.
Since then I've hit 24s and 25s with any gun I can get my hands on with a modified or full choke. Sporting clays I'm in the 80s with either a beretta 20, browning a5 in 12 or that same 1100.

Wanting to bot chase after my shells I began playing with bt99s, an lc smith olympic SST gun, and a baikal em27 in 12 ga. Wouldn't you know I can't get less than 24 on a bad day with this baikal.

I had come across one in 16ga with screw in colonial chokes a few weeks ago and it's the same dimensions of the 12ga. So I picked it up. Waiting for trulock to send me a ln extended full, IM, and Skeet 2 choke before I take it out to do some trap shooting. It's not the prettiest girl on the bus, but being that I have mostly primed 16ga hulls on hand, it'll keep me up and running.

Just wanted to share my joy to have found a 7.5lb field/clays 16ga and see if anyone else has handled, shot, or owns one. It has a 28" barrel, ejectors 5hat can be disabled and barrel selector via pushing the trigger forward to engage top barrel. I threw on my favorite hi vis fiberoptic pipe and it's darn near ferfect in fit....oh, and it only cost me $250 😀
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

I have one in IZH-27

And I have fitted a spare set of 12 gauge barrels also Smile

Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pbking51
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

Ah that's it izh 27!
"Em" was the norinco 22 I had years ago.

The wood is way nicer on the 16 than my trusty 12ga. I might have to look at getting the barrels fitted for a single receiver.

How do you like it? I've probably run 2000 shells through my 12ga and lock up is as perfect as day 1 with it, which judging by some of the wear when I got it, may have been already 2000 shells deep.

I actually got the 12 for my brother when we got into SCs and he wanted a ou to "fit in" but didn't want to spend more than $300 haha
Between the cold blue, 2 chokes I got for it, and the stick on glow sight. I had exactly $230 into it and the chokes were almost have of that figure. He didn't like how it handled and I started playing with it one day. First round of trap with it was 25 straight and that was enough to convince me to keep it.

Hoping the 16 shoots just as well...the full choke was backordered but I hope to have it by next Wednesday for our local shoot.
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

Mine sits in the gun closet,
I have sooooo many other 16 gauge guns

Mike

hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:33 am  Reply with quote

Several years ago I bought a Bakail 16 on the used gun rack for $200.Screw in chokes---shot great,no problems ===sold it for twice what I paid for it.
dannypratt
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

I have a 20ga Baikal o/u....26" bbls, slight cast off, choke tubes, silver receiver...all original...fellow I know won it in a Phesants Forever raffle 20yrs ago....has an incredibly nice carving of a pheasant etc on the stock...the guy just gave it to me last year, no strings attached. I've had ALOT of o/u Brownings, Beretta, etc...this gun is not in that league...BUT... its a wonderful firearm! Shoots incredibly well, patterns well, isn't too bad weight wise, and it was a gift!
If I could get a 16ga model I'd jump all over it.
It's really a great firearm.