16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Needing Remington 16 ga plastic wads ("shot cups")
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

Hi, does anybody know a good source, preferably the cheapest, for those SP16 wads (I think that's the model no.)...they are kind of light blue....I'm runnin low........also, using these wads, does anybody have a good recipe for 1 1/8 oz? This need not be light, just not too stout, moderate pressure would be OK..... this will be for pheasant and no. 5 shot...... my hulls are both Win (AA) type) and Rem molded plastic, no base wad (the old green ones)....

It would be nice to use the same recipe with both hulls, and I imagine that Blue Dot will be the ticket, but please advise, thanks a lot,

Duncan

RWG
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:53 pm  Reply with quote

Blue dot, longshot or other slower burning powder would be your best bet. We have a few that should meet your needs in the group's data. Still shooting that WR O/U? Russ

PS The SP-16 is readily available from any stocking Rem dealer. But if ordering on line, try grafs, precision reloading or BPI. Russ
britgun
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:22 am  Reply with quote

RWG wrote:
Blue dot, longshot or other slower burning powder would be your best bet. We have a few that should meet your needs in the group's data. Still shooting that WR O/U? Russ

PS The SP-16 is readily available from any stocking Rem dealer. But if ordering on line, try grafs, precision reloading or BPI. Russ

Thanks Russ, man, good to hear from you, the Westley "Ovundo" is long gone to some dude back east, it was a novelty for me (and part of the shop's inventory), as I am dyed in the wool side by, I'm afraid, when it comes to feathers, but will play with single sight plain on clays upon occasion....can't wait to check out your data, thanks for getting back to me...

Duncan

TerryS
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:05 pm  Reply with quote

Britgun,
You might try Lock, Stock and Barrel in Valentine, NE for the Rem SP16 wads. They have them for $5.75/bag and I bet they will give you a price break on a larger quantity. They are (relatively) close to you so that should help with shipping. http://www.lockstock.com/prodinfo.asp?number=REM16

In other direction from you, try Larry's in Nampa. The website does not list the 16 but they may have some. http://www.larryssg.com/

I've purchase components mail-order from Larry's with no problems. I've been in LSB's warehouse dozens of time and they're a great bunch of folks.
TerryS
britgun
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:39 pm  Reply with quote

TerryS wrote:
Britgun,
You might try Lock, Stock and Barrel in Valentine, NE for the Rem SP16 wads. They have them for $5.75/bag and I bet they will give you a price break on a larger quantity. They are (relatively) close to you so that should help with shipping. http://www.lockstock.com/prodinfo.asp?number=REM16

In other direction from you, try Larry's in Nampa. The website does not list the 16 but they may have some. http://www.larryssg.com/

I've purchase components mail-order from Larry's with no problems. I've been in LSB's warehouse dozens of time and they're a great bunch of folks.
TerryS

Hey thanks, wish I'd heard from you earlier, I got some from Precision (So. Dak) so still fairly close, but maybe a little more spendy, thanks again, I'll save these for the future,

Duncan

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:27 am  Reply with quote

Britgun, I think if you look carefully, you will find a plastic base wad at the bottom of that Remington shell regardless of color. They make only polyformed hulls for 16 gauge. The newer ones have a plastic base wad rather than a pressed fiber one. Would that Remington would make a one piece hull. We would all feel like we've died and gone to 16 gauge reloader's heaven. Very Happy
britgun
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:20 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Britgun, I think if you look carefully, you will find a plastic base wad at the bottom of that Remington shell regardless of color. They make only polyformed hulls for 16 gauge. The newer ones have a plastic base wad rather than a pressed fiber one. Would that Remington would make a one piece hull. We would all feel like we've died and gone to 16 gauge reloader's heaven. Very Happy

hey, thanks for the head's up.....they work pretty good for me, those Rems, it is just that the newer black ones with the gold colored hi-brass actually seperate from the plastic,, the brass comes off inside my shell resizer (lee load All) and it is a pain, but the green ones and the black ones with the copper colored hi brass do fine.....(the older stuff)...

so it must be the base you are referring to that makes it harder to fill them full of 1 1/8 oz. as opposed to the Win AA type....?? Smile

duncan

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:52 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry I missed your reply Brit gun. the problem is one I've addressed before. The "brass' bases on all new domestic 16 ga cases regardless of make is not brass, but brass washed steel. you can confirm this with a small magnet. Steel does not spring back or retract like brass. It tends to expand and stay that way. The resizing ring on most traditional type reloaders is very hard to push over the steel shell base and does not resize the steel head back to spec like it will brass.

I suggest those folks who have not already bought a reloading press to buy one with the MEC collet type resizer which uses jaws to squeeze the steel rims back to spec from the outside rather than from the top down.

However, this will not help you since you are already commited to the Lee unit. In your case, i'd advice using a bit of case resizing lube and a pad just like lubing pistol or rifle brass. Its a bit messy, but you will not rip off any heads or stick one in the ring. However, you still might have a tough time with extraction in a repeating action like a pump or autoloader.

This problem is here to stay. More and more ammo manufacturers have stopped using brass even for their premium target ammo. I think brass heads on shotgun shells will be a thing of the past in a decade or so. Steel bases, like it or not, are here to stay.
britgun
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:01 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Sorry I missed your reply Brit gun. the problem is one I've addressed before. The "brass' bases on all new domestic 16 ga cases regardless of make is not brass, but brass washed steel. you can confirm this with a small magnet. Steel does not spring back or retract like brass. It tends to expand and stay that way. The resizing ring on most traditional type reloaders is very hard to push over the steel shell base and does not resize the steel head back to spec like it will brass.

I suggest those folks who have not already bought a reloading press to buy one with the MEC collet type resizer which uses jaws to squeeze the steel rims back to spec from the outside rather than from the top down.

However, this will not help you since you are already commited to the Lee unit. In your case, i'd advice using a bit of case resizing lube and a pad just like lubing pistol or rifle brass. Its a bit messy, but you will not rip off any heads or stick one in the ring. However, you still might have a tough time with extraction in a repeating action like a pump or autoloader.

This problem is here to stay. More and more ammo manufacturers have stopped using brass even for their premium target ammo. I think brass heads on shotgun shells will be a thing of the past in a decade or so. Steel bases, like it or not, are here to stay.

....thanks, I'll try the rifle case lube thing, I should have thought of that, thanks for all your help and advice, I sure appreciate it.... and I will avoid pumps and autos with these particular reloads and feed them to my side by sides... I'm gonna try it tonight.....

kind regards,

Duncan

Sebascodegan
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:02 pm  Reply with quote

don't forget the SuperSizer...

http://www.mecreloaders.com/ProductLine/SuperSizer.asp

Primrose Path
A Hunters Fireside Book
- Gene Hill
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:21 am  Reply with quote

Good suggestion S. There are actually quite a few used older Supersizer units out there though not a lot of 16 ga ones. Many can be had very cheaply now that the Sizemaster and the Grabber are readily available.

Supersizers were introduced as the answer to the problem of how to resize if a person owned a 650 progessive without the collet resizer built in like on the Grabber. I do not know of anyone whose bought a new 650 in many years. So the old supersizers gret religated to the back shelf and are commonly sold off.

If a fella could get a used 12 ga. unit inexpensively enough, he can buy the central collet for it from MEC and convert it very easily. It screws right out and the replacement right back in. Easy enough, I'd say.

However, if a 16 ga press is needed, I'd suggest getting the Sizemaster single stage or a Grabber progressive. The initial cost is less than a new 16 ga. Supersizer plus a new press.
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:20 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, guys, I don't know squat about this, i've done all my reloading on a Load All for 20 years, I don't know any better, so what's the best, easiest, idiot proof syetem made nowadays? Perhaps one or the other of the 2 you just mentioned? I always liked the load All, though slow, because you could really "hands on" and examine each shell close as it went through, but I'm willing to advance, if there is a good alternative.....

sure appreciate the input, let me know what I oughta get, and maybe where I can buy it (mail order?)....this would be for 16 only... I don't shoot enough 12 to warrant upgrading from my 12ga load All...

Thnaks again gentlemen,

britgun

sprocket
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:41 am  Reply with quote

Britgun - in my homework (gathered here and other sources) I've found Midway to have most of what you'll need - press & components - prices are in line but I have not factored in shipping - I'm sure others here have their favorite sources too - I'd rather drop 1 order than 5 just to save $10...

being a mass resident, I'll be getting powder and primers locally and avoid the hazardous charge and shot to keep shipping cost down...

here's a link to the new presses:
[url]http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?TabID=1&Categoryid=19204&categorystring=9315***8603***9314***[/url]

I've thought about getting a used MEC machine and converting - the cost is more than a new machine...

The sizemaster gets high recommendations all around and if I go MEC, I'll be getting one.

regardless of which MEC, universal/adjustable charge bars are recommended in most of the threads I've seen - you buy it once and tweak it to get desired results...I'm assuming you have a scale at this point - it's pretty key for setting up the loads, especially with an adjustable bar.

with my own low volume, I'm still debating to get a load all as an entry level experiment - it may suit my needs and if not, well it's an experiment...I can eat/drink the cost of a lee in one meal...
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:19 am  Reply with quote

16ga Sizemaster in stock here:

http://www.natchezss.com/category.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=ME&category=475&subCategory=475&catLevel=2&prodID=ME812016
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:04 am  Reply with quote

They also have 16 ga. Supersizers for just under $60 and collets for $22. If a fella could find a used 12 ga Supersizer for $30 or under, which is not too hard, then he could buy the collet and have the capacity to resize both the 12 and 16 as well as save some money. Now to see what ebay has in supersizers at auction.