16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  1939 Ithaca Model 37S (skeet) Question
Waylon1979
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:49 am  Reply with quote

Would a 1939 Ithaca Model 37S in 16ga with a imp cyl choke be rare? I know skeet models are pretty rare especially in 16 ga but what about the choke? Does that make it more rarer? I know Ithaca would them in any choke you wanted. I’ve never seen a skeet model with the imp CYL choke before.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

A prewar 37 in 16 ga. is rare enough, let alone in a 37S. I would have to check the numbers in Walts books to see how many in 16 ga. but it doesn't break it down by choke constriction.

My 2 favorite 16 ga. 37's a field and a RVD, precursor to the Supreme.

I leave Sunday for 3 weeks hunting ruff on the North Shore of Lake Superior. Took a break from packing and seen this. All I shoot ruff with is the 16. Because they prefer to be killed with purple shells. Well and been doing it for more than half a century.

Have watched for a prewar 16 Ithaca 37S for decades. IC is the most common when I do run across them. Mod is next and followed by Full. Which is better than most 37's of the time which seem to be mainly Full and 28" or 30". But not in a 37S. A 26" 37S prewar, or post war, in SK choke is the rarest of them all. Only seen 2 in my lifetime.
Waylon1979
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:50 pm  Reply with quote

Most of the 37 Skeets I have seen are either Full or Mod this is the first imp cyl I have seen in a skeet. It’s a 1939
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:39 pm  Reply with quote

Waylon1979 wrote:
Most of the 37 Skeets I have seen are either Full or Mod this is the first imp cyl I have seen in a skeet. It’s a 1939

Those are post war. Like I said 39 is prewar. In 39 there were 822 sold most in 12 ga.

After the war it was a piece together what you had event. And the many 37S wore 37T stocks because that is what was left over.

After the war anything went. And many times you would find 28 or 30" full. I have seen enough of them I don't care if I see another one.

But prewar an IC is the most common one you find. Like I said.

Once you move into the 37 Trap prewar full or fuller is common. Because of 37T.

Prewar 37R which is a solid rib. In 16 ga. of course with hand chased checkering 28" Mod

Next step up is a post war 37RD in 16 ga. of course

Another 26" IC

Post war 26" is rare as is IC. In the 37S. Prewar not so much.

May depend if you are selling one or buying one though LOL.

Ithaca 37's have undergone a lot of changes over the years. Value is what us old farts place on the value of them. And unfortunately many of us are experiencing joint issues which limits our joy of shooting them.

Have had more one than one person tell me when shooting a 37 in skeet that is a pleasure watching an experienced shooter play the trombone. Now a SxS is more effective for me. On feathers due to wrists and fingers and I am not the only one.

But still love my 37's 16 ga. guns. All of them.

Hunting guns. For ruff grouse. 2 prewar and one post war with the tightest chokes being .011 Of course they shuck purple shells.

All 26"

And target 16 ga. 37 guns.

Swampy16
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:28 am  Reply with quote

What’s the weight on a prewar 16 gauge 37S?