16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  600 LB Black Bear here on our front porch this evening.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:35 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

As many of you already know my log cabin home is in the Potter/Tioga back woods.

This afternoon around 4 PM, I was going to let my Gordon Setter dog out for her evening run. Now I like Black Bears and we have never really had any trouble with them. In fact the female Black Bears have brought their cubs on to our land for generations, teaching them to fish and hunt in our lost creek, that divides the State Game Lands from our private property. We have all kind of wild life here, Grouse, Turkey, Deer, the Elk Pass thru on their way to the Pa Grand Canyon.

This particular Male Black Bear goes about 600 lbs with a massive head on him, and seems to be scared of absolutely nothing, which is not good when he decided to stretch out on my concrete front porch in the shade. He tried raiding my big molded Green Garbage can, with is locked and pretty much Bear proof. He did drag the 50 gallon can into the woods and beat it around trying to get at the garbage inside. The funning thing was we never heard any of this inside the log cabin. Our young Gordon Grouse dog must of heard the big Bear, because I had to tell her to quit barking. The Coyotes were all worked up at just about the same time, then left all of a sudden. I believe the Black Bear showed up and then the Coyotes made a quick exit.

The big Bear was still on our property when the sun went down, I hope he soon moves on. I will keep my .357 Steve McQueen gun handy for the rest of the night.
Never a dull moment here in Potter/Tioga woods. Sorry no pictures of the big Black Bear.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:49 am  Reply with quote

Looking at some of the internet postings, there seems to be a lot of that going around these days. We've even had black bears down in SW Missouri these last few years. The bear population must be way up and there is an obvious lack of fear of man going on too.

ROMAC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:25 am  Reply with quote

Dave, Sounds like that bear would make a nice rug!
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:13 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

We have had Black Bear on our property for as long as I can remember, They have caused little trouble, however my young Gordon dog does not like this particular big male Bear. Not a good situation, my dogs have always had the run of our Petsafe fence area around the log cabin, about a 60 yard circle. I could let them out and nothing ever happened to them. I had a big Weimar dog that pretty much made everything safe. With the passing of Gretchen things are different here at the mountain kennel & home. However I would prefer not to shoot any of the Bear that have been around my property for years. Long ago I thought about shooting one to have it made into a nice Bear rug, until I found out how much it would cost me. Even at that time it was way to expensive, today it would be a fortune of my retirement money. Of course if I had no taxes to pay each year, things might be different.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

My Weimar dogs sister treeing a Black Bear for the Wardens to dart and move.
These particular Weimar dog were bred by my good friend Gunny Bowman and hunted fur & feather very very well. Harold has retired due to his failing health from the water poisoning in the Marines, there will be no more great Weimar dogs for me.
We do miss Gretchen very much.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:10 am  Reply with quote

Dave, been fairly quiet at our place in So Steuben co for last 2 yrs . B4 that though , fairly busy . Wifey never thought there were bears around till our little brown Beagle started barking one up that had came into the yard - checking chicken on the Barbie !! She didn't know what to do till the Bear just tired of it and wandered off .Neighbor got that one - 540 #'s !! Told wifey to pick on smaller ones ! As many as 3 hanging around that yr .

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeDavis,

Yes we have to clean our Gas grill every time we use it, or the Bears will turn it over looking for something to eat, I have made my small Gas grill into a natural gas Grill installing all the gas lines for both the grill and the emergency generator, saves me from running to get propane and eliminates 90% of the cost. I did a lot of work here at the log cabin, so I have my time for hunting and Fly Fishing. The Bears are welcome here unless they start to make trouble. I have a quick disconnect set up for the Gas Grill and uncouple it each time it is used. Our members of the Grouse Camp have been shown exactly what to do, if they want use the natural gas grill. Because the Bears have always been here on our property we live with pretty still rules for safe guarding everything. I sure do miss my big Weimar gun dog, she made life real safe & easy around here for sure.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

boon hogganbeck
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:51 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Dave, are you seeing many grouse this year? I think we had a good hatch, I've been moving birds every time I've had the dogs out... Slipped over the border to southern NY this weekend, lots of leaves, encountered 8 grouse and 2 woodcock. Not many shot opportunities but did knock down a grouse.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:07 pm  Reply with quote

I have trail cam photographs of a large and a medium Black bear in our driveway (in town). they make the rounds checking trash cans. I'd post them but am not linked into one of the photo sites that work here.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:28 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

The Black Bear was back again this evening and he is becoming a pain in my back side. Dragged the garbage can up against our new Ford Explorer. I managed to chase him off by standing my ground and yelling at him repeatedly. Not cool to have a Big Black Bear right up on your front porch several night in a row. My Gordon dog was going nuts.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

ROMAC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:48 pm  Reply with quote

Dave,

Bear season is right around the corner. Your love for them is admirable until someone gets hurt or he decides to do a lot of property damage.

You may have to try some non-lethal techniques to make him avoid your place.
Aurelio Corso
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:56 pm  Reply with quote

Dave I’m glad the last time I had one on my driveway was over 4 years ago and it’s a little unnerving.
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

Pretty soon that bear is going to wear out his welcome.

I suspect it'll be about the time he decides the smells from inside, particularly the kitchen, are just to appealing to resist.

Then, it'll be like having an NFL linebacker in the house, but without the impulse control.

jim18611865
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:23 am  Reply with quote

This summer we had one attempt entry into our house.
Pushed a screen in on the porch door and shredded another window screen in the dining room.
Scary part is I didn't hear a thing.
I noticed the damage the next morning.

Jim
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:17 am  Reply with quote

Most of the nuisance bear reports I've read ends with Fish &Game tranquilizing and relocating the bear. From what I've gathered from your posts on here it sounds like your home is so remote, you may be where the bears are relocated to rather than being a candidate for the relocation service. Hope you come up with a solution soon, that situation sounds like it could go sideways at any time.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:28 am  Reply with quote

Ruflemeister,

No doubt about it we are back in the Tioga State forest. The PGC has Darted Bears here before. However not for the Bear being a trouble maker. They Darted more than a few Black Bear because the Bear ended up with Mange. A Contaminated Bear from another place was let loose in our forest about 5 year ago, we lost many of our Black Bear because of it. The PGC was Darting the Bear that could not be saved, to destroy them. The PGC employees were wearing what looked like hazmat suits while doing it.
Evidently humans can also get Bear mange by touching the Bear. It was a real mess for awhile.

I am hoping the Bear does not stay around long, when they get this big they move around a lot in a big 50 mile area most of the time. The female and cubs are the ones that usually stay around until the female releases her cubs, then she pushes them out.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man