16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Reclaimed lead shot
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:18 pm  Reply with quote

I balked at paying $62 for a bag of “magnum” lead shot at the club, and elected to purchase 20 lbs of reclaimed shot for $22, with the goal of using it for skeet. I remain suspicious of its utility and intend to give it a thorough workout.

The bag was labeled 8 1/2 but average pellet weight was closer to 7 1/2. Measurements showed it is a mix from 7 1/2 to 9. Almost all the pellets are slightly flattened with maybe 5% remaining round, and sprinkling of badly gouged pellets.

It was clean and polished with no visible stones or dirt. Some graphite might have been added.

I’ll pattern test it and try it on the skeet range. I don’t hold out much hope for trap. Aside from the few oddball pellets, it seems to be like what I would expect any pellet to look like after one firing. After two firings the pellets will have another flat spot, but maybe it won’t matter on skeet, we’ll see.

Component costs keep climbing so we do what we must.

B.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:19 pm  Reply with quote

I have shot so very clean reclaimed. Supposedly remelt and regrouped.
I use it from the 16 back to the 23 on trap games. Have had no problems . Doing it as to save on my 35.00 manufactured shot. So far so good.
I would say you would be good back to the 23 yard on trap
Lewis295
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:01 pm  Reply with quote

I have shot several hundred pounds of reclaimed shot and I couldn't tell a difference on the skeet or trap field...
putz463
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:14 am  Reply with quote

Been using reclaimed for short range loads for quite awhile. On the Skeet field I don't think you'll notice a difference. Only share I can offer; watch your drops before pulling the shell out of the drop station, in my presses, on occasion the misc sized and shaped pellets will bridge in the drop tube, a simple flick of the finger nail cures the issue for me..

Care to share your reclaimed shot source? Do they ship to MI?

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:17 am  Reply with quote

only diff I've seen was some of it was very lite - more like Bizz weight . Adjust accordingly - it'll knock the snot out of skeet .

hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:41 am  Reply with quote

Seems like reclaimed shot is of higher quality than years ago.Gravel,dirt,etc seemed to be the norm.Even factory shot will vary +/- one size AND occasionally bridge.
Winchester21
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:49 am  Reply with quote

Brewster11 - I hope you share the results of your patterning with the reclaim shot, especially how those patterns compare to the ones you get using new shot. Be sure to shoot at least 5 patterns of each to get a better understanding of what the overall patterns tend to be.
When I did my comparisons years ago, I saw very little difference in new vs reclaim up to 30 yds. I've been using reclaim shot for all my target work, mainly skeet and 5-stand, some trap, and it works just fine. Like the stuff you bought, it is about 70% #7.5's and the rest mainly #9's. It runs $32 a 25lb bag, no tax, so it's a bargain compared to new shot prices.
I don't do much bird hunting so I usually use factory shells because here in California you can't hunt with lead shot so I use steel. For rifle and pistol hunting I have no problem using non-lead bullets because I get great accuracy with them.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:53 am  Reply with quote

Putz, I’ll ask where we obtained the reclaimed shot, it’s a new item for the club. We’re a big club and we bring ammo and components in by the container load, and often parcel it out to other clubs in the region, so the shot could have come in from anywhere.

As an aside, I had been asking (ok, bugging) our club ammo coordinator about 16 ga ammo, and he said we were offered half a shipping container of 16 ga ammo but half of it was #6 steel so he declined, on which I had to agree with him.

As of last weekend I counted 9 flats of 16ga Fed #8 on the shelf, which should last the 2 or 3 of us 16 ga club shooters through years end Smile. Generally speaking we must shoot our club ammo on site (unless there’s a big shoot going on somewhere), a sacrifice I’ll happily make. Can’t wait to shoot it up then bring home those Fed empties and refill with that reclaimed shot, and repeat if it works out.

B.
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:19 am  Reply with quote

Brewster1, I'd appreciate any info on the reclaimed shot, thank you.

Winchester21, I too trust it out to ~30y for targets. Are you referring to Redlands?

Winchester21
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:34 pm  Reply with quote

Putz463 - Yes to the reclaim being sold at Redlands. They are putting it in plastic tubs now because they ran out of shotbags. Wts are closer to 24 lbs but it is still a bargain.
I mainly shoot at Prado but my nephew lives closer to Redlands so he picks the shot up for me. Redlands is now Members or Guests only but they'll sell the reclaim to anyone. It's Cash Only.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:45 am  Reply with quote

So what are you guys paying for reclaim shot. Is it Redrock or just cleaned.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:20 pm  Reply with quote

Our club price for reclaimed is around $22 for 20 lbs.

Was advised that thrown weight could be less than new shot, so I ran some tests with the MEC 600 Jr and a digital jewelers scale with the reclaimed shot and new #9 Northwest Magnum Shot.

The new shot came in right at 7/8 oz on the button through the MEC 7/8 bar, with very little variation (+/- 4/1000 oz.)

Surprisingly the reclaimed shot came in 2% heavier than new shot. That could be attributed to denser packing, since most pellets had a small flat spot or two. The variation was higher, +/- 1/100 oz. Not terribly bad actually. Pattern tests up next.

B.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

I finally found time for a quick pattern check of the reclaimed shot. I didn’t conduct a rigorous comparison with new shot, just a visual side by side quick look.

The 20 yd patterns looked reasonably even, with density similar to new shot, and no excessive gaps or holes. The only anomaly I observed was occasional clumps of two or three pellets as if they were fused together. Other than that, the patterns looked quite similar to new shot. Since the usage will be skeet, I’ll continue to use it until I need something to blame my poor scores on.

V/R
B.
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

AND it is death incarnate on doves and pigeons Smile

Today's pile of reclaimed/remanufactured shot

putz463
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:48 am  Reply with quote

Nice haul Skeettx; care to share your source?