16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Unicorn 16 gauge ?
2ndChance
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:41 am  Reply with quote

Morning all,
I had the occasion last week to try out something different on a pheasant hunt. I'm a diehard sxs shooter and for kicks tried a 12 gauge o/u beretta with double triggers. I really enjoyed walking and shooting with it. Would I be looking for a unicorn in trying to find a modern o/u 16 gauge with double triggers and possibly able to use steel shot? Does Beretta, browning or any other companies within the last 20 years or so produced such a shotgun. Any input apreciated.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:21 am  Reply with quote

Fair Rizzini made some.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:26 am  Reply with quote

Yep both F.A.I.R. (I. Rizzini) and his brother B. Rizzini made some. And pretty sure you could custom order one today if you wanted new.

My made by F.A.I.R. NEA 16 has a POW grip but single trigger but they made them in double triggers as well

They no longer make the O\U guns with POW grips they are pistol grips. You may still be able to get a straight grip though you would have to ask them.

O\U guns made today by FAIR

https://www.italianfirearmsgroup.com/fair/firearms/shotguns-hunting/

Last week I finalized and paid for a custom order FAIR SxS Iside. Turn around is normally ~6 months. You can go direct through Italian Firearms Group (IFG) for FAIR or several dealers. 3 that are in Pa. and do the most volume are:

Iron Cowboy
doubleshotguns.com (Lion Country Supply)
Elk County Ammo & Arms

A FAIR is going to be lighter than a B. Rizzini, and less money. B. Rizzini is going to take ~2 years through the custom shop. Even if they tell you only 1 year. B. Rizzini is going to be a bit better in fit and finish. But more money and longer delivery time. Next June I will custom order a BR552 direct from Rizzini USA. Got quotes from them and several dealers and it is cheaper just going direct with them. I went direct with Italian Firearms Group for my FAIR but that is because I had several options that confused everyone else and even Kevin at IFG had to call Italy and talk to Luca at FAIR about the wood upgrade level.
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:42 pm  Reply with quote

The Upland Gun Company will build you that exact gun. Granted, might be on a 12 gauge frame but can likely build it to your specs and weight preferences.
putz463
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

Not quite a Unicorn but close....O/U DT is my favorite platform, have an armful in both 16 & 10ga, love'em!

Bene's same as a SxS; you have 2 single shot shotguns in hand i.e. you're always in the hunt...2 different chokes at your fingertips to accommodate the hunt/shot.

I can't speak to the 20yr timeline but in 16ga used (rare/thin at best) market you'll find Merkel, Suhl/German guild guns, Huglu (CZ/Turk) made a limited run early on, Zoli, Marlin, FAIR come to mind, hope there's more. Probably the most plentiful are the Merkels, German guilds & Marlin90/Ranger versions. Been saving my return can money for a FAIR Pathos. Most FAIR guns (SxS,O/U) can be ordered with DT's.

https://www.fair.it/en/products/luxury-shotgun/pathos/

Best of luck with it, I can't imagine (besides a SxS) a better more practical field shotgun platform....maybe a Chiappa/CD triple in 16 or 10.....

Rdg
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

Sporting Days wrote:
The Upland Gun Company will build you that exact gun. Granted, might be on a 12 gauge frame but can likely build it to your specs and weight preferences.

Are all the UGC's 16G over/unders built on a 12G frame
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:19 am  Reply with quote

In the early 2000s, writer Larry Brown of Iowa collaborated with I. Rizzini/F.A.I.R. to produce an "ideal pheasant gun," which turned out to be an O/U 16 gauge with a straight grip , double triggers, a solid rib, screw-in chokes, and 29-inch barrels.

Brown wrote about it in his book "A Pheasant Hunter's Notebook" published in 2003. Maybe you can find one of these on the used market or contact F.A.I.R. to see if they can build one for you today.
2ndChance
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:41 pm  Reply with quote

For me to go with a bespoke 16 I will definately have to clear out a few from the safe. I don't know how much interest there'd be. I have a LC Smith 16 ga ideal grade, a LC Smith field grade in 16, a LC Smith 12 ga ideal grade and a spanish sxs 28 gauge. I could part with these as I've had them for a long time and ready to pass them on to the next hunter. I could send pics and specs to anyone interested. The 16 ga Ideal grade was comepletely restored by Buck Hamlin in Missouri and its beautiful. That was done around 2010.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

2ndChance,

Send me some pictures of your 16 gauge Ideal grade and what you want for it.
pine-creek@live.com

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
16'er
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:17 am  Reply with quote

Marlin 90 or ranger marked variant? Not modern, but makes a good all weather field gun.
2ndChance
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:09 am  Reply with quote

I sent pics.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:17 am  Reply with quote

When I was in France, all the gunmakers, including Granger, thought these were the bomb:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/shotguns-french-double/petrik-16-ga-over-under-only-5lbs-14-oz-and-is-2-3-4-quot-proofed-ribless-with-double-triggers-.cfm?gun_id=101964923

I think it’s a little light, for a 16, that design is tough to put any wear on. There is also a 20 gauge listed on that gun site.

The 16 listed has a short length of pull, which, is my guess why the sling swivel for the butt stock appears to be missing. The front swivel is still there. I wouldn’t be too troubled, as at that weight, a recoil pad would likely be a blessing, and you will pick up an inch of length.

Good luck.

Best,
Ted