16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Citori 16 side ribs
sl93z
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:59 pm  Reply with quote

Acquired a nice Citori 16 ga White Lightning last week. When I opened the box the first thing I noticed was that the side rib did not run the full length of the barrels; it stops about two inches inside of the fore-end. I looked at all of my other Citoris (two 12s, a 20, and a 28 ) and their side ribs all run the full length of the barrels. Is this typical on the 16s? The date code is ZR so it is a 2017 manufacture; maybe it's just the newer ones? Any insights or info is appreciated.

Last edited by sl93z on Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Citori16
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:19 am  Reply with quote

It’s the newer ones. I bought my son a 16 ga Hunter last year and noticed the same. Not sure if the other gauges are similar. It might be worth swabbing that inside area down with CLP and then plugging the hole with grease. Not sure what else could be done other than major surgery.

I noticed a trend of cut corners over the years in the Citoris, the ones made previous to mine (2003?) seemed a bit better. The top rib on the older ones were slightly more substantial with better soldering, etc, etc. Tiny details that would increase profit margin over the years, IMHO.

Bret
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:10 am  Reply with quote

I have a newer 20 gauge white lightning, and it is as you describe. I love the gun.

https://bretwonnacott.com/
A Millionaire's Dream - a novel
df
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:26 am  Reply with quote

Mine is an older GrIII 16 ga that does not have this issue, but it would not bother me if it did.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:26 am  Reply with quote

The beancounters have struck again Shocked Evil or Very Mad
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:13 am  Reply with quote

I have a 16 gauge Citori Gran Lightning that's a few years old now. Same thing with the side ribs that stop short. Ruger Red Labels have the same design. Wondering if it's a weight-saving consideration instead of or in addition to a cost-savings issue?

Years ago I did have a Gran Lightning 20 gauge -- and I don't remember that design on the older gun.
sl93z
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:22 am  Reply with quote

I did a little research and according to several "experts" there is no need for a side rib on an OU; it is a carryover from the mid rib on a SxS. See this thread, especially post 8 by DevilsAdvocate.

[url]https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads/spacing-between-barrels.481466/ [/url]

So yes, it probably is some type of cost savings. For the $1 it saves I would be happy to pay extra to have the full length, but I'm not going to worry about it. One thing that does bother me is that the breach end is an open triangle, allowing for dust, dirt, etc. to be deposited inside this little triangular tunnel.

Citori 16, I like your idea of cleaning it then plugging the end with grease. But, should I warm up the barrels on the skeet range or a flurry of doves I'm a little worried the grease might slide down the tunnel and leave a gooey mess. I think I'll try making a small, removable plug for it on my 3D printer. If it works out I'll post it to the group and make a few extras in case anyone else wants a set.

Thanks for the insights and replies.
Citori16
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:12 pm  Reply with quote

sl93z,

Good point on the hot barrels & grease, though I’ve never seen bearing grease run so that or another higher temp grease may be a possible thought. A 3D printer plug sounds intriguing, please post if you have some success.

There are plenty of O/Us that don’t have a rib, but if you’re going to put one on, I would think that sealing the ends would be preferable from a longevity standpoint. Either way, it’s a great gun to shoot, just may need a little extra care, especially if you trounce through thick brush chasing grouse or woodcock. Brush, leaves & fir needles can get everywhere & trap moisture. I have the pitting on my WL where the forearm meets the barrels to prove it…only took 1 day.

Sporting Days,

My WL & Grade 6 do not have this “feature” so it is just newer Citoris. The weight would be negligible, but the fitting & material would certainly save some cost. It’s not a deal breaker for me, though some advance knowledge would have saved some consternation. Again, it’s still a great gun.

bigblue
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:00 pm  Reply with quote

To me as good as a gun that the Citori is I find my Grand 16 gauge 28" is muzzle heavy and to me that short rib cover would make it more so.

Last edited by bigblue on Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:08 pm  Reply with quote

I have a 2001 vintage Citori Grade I, it has full side ribs.

Maybe side ribs aren't necessary but to me without the side ribs it would be an ugly shotgun.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:38 pm  Reply with quote

Food for thought. I own a couple project guns that need rib resoldering. Guess what? It's not all that uncommon for there to be rust on the barrel tubes in there, especially on guns that have "drainage/ venting" hole(s) in the rib(s) for the rust bluing process. Also, every time you bring a gun in from a cold environment to a warm one, condensation builds up, and not just on the outside. I actually like the idea of being able to get some oil in there then drain the excess out in order to prevent rust. Maybe Browning is doing more than just saving 65 cents worth of metal...

Citori16
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:34 am  Reply with quote

Wyo, that does make some sense. I’ll be down “around Louisiana way” visiting my son soon to shoot some ducks (yeah, I know, sometimes fortune smiles). I’ll be using his Citori to avoid checking mine into baggage, he prefers his Retay for ducks so it works out. I may see if a .17 cal boresnake will pass through that rib area (or some other method), and pass this discussion onto him for future reference.

pumpgun
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

In the past year and a half I've acquired a White Lightning 16g, CXS 20g, Special Sporting clays .410 and an XP28 Citori, which is either special order, or European market. Only the XP 28 has full length side ribs. It's also the heaviest.
Citori16
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:01 pm  Reply with quote

My WL w/full side ribs is lighter than my son’s Hunter by a couple ounces. My grade 6 is heavier than both, I think it’s because of the wood. Figured wood is denser. All have 26” barrels.

Citori16
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:59 am  Reply with quote

Now that I’m in LA with my son, I took a look at his Citori Hunter & the side ribs stop just after the front of the forearm but before the latch lug. Interestingly, the ribs are soldered closed at the muzzle, so there is no way to run a small bore snake through it…apparently when I read some of the posts about the “breach” end, my mind went to muzzle. The opening is more of a squeezed rectangle.

I guess for now, I’ll be pouring a small amount of Hoppes’s #9 in the cavity then possibly some Hornady One-Shot. That should at least keep it from rusting if there’s no debris in there. Also, I avoid taking a cold gun out of it’s case in a warm house until the case/gun has enough time to warm to the same temp. The caveat to that is a wet gun which always gets broken down with stocks removed to dry out. This helps to avoid a stock cracking from water swelling, and allows the action to dry out thoroughly.