16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Citori 16 side ribs
sl93z
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:45 pm  Reply with quote

Update: After several attempts at 3D printing a plug I gave up. There is no way to make a one-piece plastic plug that will fit, and on the two-piece ones I tried to make there isn't enough material in the middle section to make a locking "puzzle piece" fitting that will hold and not break. Even if I could make something that would work there is not much room in there for my fingers to set it in place. This was much harder in reality than it was in my mind.

HOWEVER, I found a simpler solution. I took an old foam earplug, used my scissors to shorten and trim it, then squished it flat and stuck it in the hole with the help of a dental pick. A few seconds later it expanded and the "stem" portion filled the hole so it stays in place while the bell portion that sticks out is large enough to cover the concavity of the side ribs so nothing can get down the hole. It is easy to remove and replace so I can use WyoChukars' .17 HMR cleaning rod idea to clean and lube the inside should I need to do so. As a bonus, any residual earwax on the plug will be additional protection against rust. Wink