16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Reloading the New "Herter's hull
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:04 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron,

Those Cheddites don't pierce in your shotguns?

They pierce in just about every shotgun I use on a regular basis. 16 ga. 1100, 16 ga. Citori, 16 ga. 870, Benelli SS and a Beretta 686. I even put new firing pins in the Citori, 1100 and the Benelli, they still pierce.

I wish I could use them.

Citori16
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:18 am  Reply with quote

This made me check my spent primers in the tray & the spent hulls I have. I do not recall any pierced Cheddite primers in the last 5000 or so between the re-primed & new primed hulls, and definitely none in the last 300. Very deep hits for sure, but no piercings that I can tell. These are all with my Citori.

Maybe you got a defective batch?

MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:25 am  Reply with quote

Citori16,

The first time I tried them was a few years back when I bought 500 new primed Cheddite hulls. Just about every one pierced in my 1100.

I deprimed the rest of the new hulls and tried the primers in other loads/guns, with the same issue.

I put new firing pins in the 1100 and Benelli and the Citori had brand new pins in it.

It's fairly common (others have complained/commented about it), and with the price of primers I am a bit concerned that if I buy 5,000 and they pierce.......it wouldn't be good.

I probably should go to a LGS and see if I can buy 100 and see what happens with newer stock.

Last edited by MSM2019 on Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:33 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
Cold Iron,

Those Cheddites don't pierce in your shotguns?

They pierce in just about every shotgun I use on a regular basis. 16 ga. 1100, 16 ga. Citori, 16 ga. 870, Benelli SS and a Beretta 686. I even put new firing pins in the Citori, 1100 and the Benelli, they still pierce.

I wish I could use them.

None in my three SxS target guns including the 16

Or my Comp 16 with Cheddite\Cheddite SG16 17.2 gr. GD HOWEVER

Couple of weeks ago Savage16 shot my Comp16 with some of his RGL with Cheddite primers and they pierced badly. We were talking yesterday about it on the phone not sure what the difference is maybe the batch has something to do with it. But we got most of ours from the same batch at BPI at the same time. My A5 Sweet 16 and G2 Bronze 16 do not. And none of my Ithaca 27 16's do.

Brownings most K and a few P guns are known to pierce them. It is hit or miss. There is a BR110 20 ga. I know of that does not. Yet others with the same gun say they do. It is hit or miss.

Until a few weeks ago didn't know of any SxS guns that do but was talking to JNW who used to put on the Sweet 16 shoots and he said that he had 2 SxS guns that pierced them. So it really is hit or miss.

While many say they will stick to Cheddite primers once W209 come back in stock I will buy all of them I can when they do. And F209A.

Years ago I read that for fire suppression purposes it is recommended for residential storage to limit powder to 50 pounds and primers to 20K and I have done that since. Especially after the on and off again supply issues of the last decade or so. When W209A come back it will be tempting to bump well past that.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:55 am  Reply with quote

I'd buy RIO G1000's again. They don't pierce and they work pretty well with my 700-X target loads.

My favorites are Winchester 209's and Federal 209A's. I arrived in ND 9/2020, before this nonsense started with 10,000 Winchesters and 5,000 Federal 209A's, plus some CCI 209 and 209M's.

I have about 5,000 Winchesters left, 900 Federals and 2,000 RIO's out of a case that I bought at the end of 2021 and a few CCI209M's. I don't like being this low on primers.

Last edited by MSM2019 on Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

lbrown
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:58 am  Reply with quote

i have to make a correction to the post I made above about reloading the new Herters hulls. Although they shot without any problems, the crimps on some of them were starting to unfold. Just reloaded them. Added a bit more crimp depth and I don't think that will be a problem from now on. Looking at the results of the 2nd reloading, it looks as if all of them should make a 3rd reloading unless you're concerned about the occasional small split at the case mouth, around 1/2" or so. I think most of them will likely make a 4th reload. Too bad they're twice as expensive as the previous herters shells were, but that appears to be life these days for those of us who reload 16s.