16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  digital scales
Savage16
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:22 pm  Reply with quote

Anybody have any recommendations for a digital reloading scale? Brand/model/price?Thanks

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:53 pm  Reply with quote

Not from me - I'm still using by 60 year old Ohaus balance beam.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:08 pm  Reply with quote

I've been a fan of RCBS scales since the 70's and have stayed with them. Currently use a RCBS Chargemaster but if you don't need a powder dispenser might be overkill for you. Although I don't load rifle much anymore I still use the scale. They have since come out with the RCBS Chargemaster Link which is bluetooth enabled.

~$300
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1024207880?pid=657660

If I wasn't going that route and straight scale most of the midrange ones are made by Oehler despite the brand labeled on them. At least decent ones.

RCBS Rangemaster 2000 ~$135
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016273372?pid=586020

The Dillion Precision D-Terminator is very similar with a 1500 gr max which is more than enough. ~$160

https://www.amazon.com/D-Terminator-Electronic-Scale-1500Gr-Max/dp/B071FHK437/ref=sr_1_5?content-id=amzn1.sym.dbb2bd15-326d-4d11-831d-f6e882ac5d1f&keywords=dillon+precision+scale&pd_rd_r=847d0d5c-deb4-4b55-9bc5-c7a829e3daba&pd_rd_w=52nIQ&pd_rd_wg=N2Kii&pf_rd_p=dbb2bd15-326d-4d11-831d-f6e882ac5d1f&pf_rd_r=260HGHYW0QBRE6SATBX8&qid=1671680589&sr=8-5

I have a Dillion 650 press (and 4 MEC 9000) but really like and use the RCBS Chargemaster.

If you get the Dilion scale you would be able to justify the annual purchase of the Dilion calendars. 2023 is out now.

Without owning any Dilion equipment owning a Dilion calendar each year would just be wrong.
df
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:14 pm  Reply with quote

I use a small Lyman, about the size of a deck of cards. Works great. Have used it for 10 plus years. Seems like it was about $70. Think it’s a micro touch.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:20 am  Reply with quote

I have a Denver Instruments scale that has been up and running for close to 30 years now. It was overkill then and it is overkill now, but it gives accurate and repeatable readings. I do check it with weights, against my RCBS (Ohaus) 505 scale and calibrate it with the 1000 grain weight that came with it. Perfect. It has only been turned off when the power fails or when it has been moved, the rest of the time it runs 24/7.

For an extended period of time I used a Dillon D-Terminator scale which sat right next to my DI scale. It was fine once it warmed up but it did drift for about 30 minutes before it settled down. I would turn it on for an hour or so before I needed to use it. Very accurate once it was warm.

I also was gifted a Pact BBKII, which I believe has since been discontinued. It isn't as accurate as any of the 3 other scales I have experience with. It always runs about .3 of a grain light, it drifts with the slightest amount of a breeze, such as walking by it. It's OK I guess.....just glad I didn't pay for it.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:20 pm  Reply with quote

I use an inexpensive digital Smart Weigh high precision milligram Jewelry Scale which was purchased online for under $20. Generic lookalikes appear to be available on Amazon.

It is vastly more stable, consistent, precise, faster and more accurate than the RCBS Model 1010 scale which has tormented me for decades.

The only deficiency of this particular digital scale is the lack of a metal sample pan. The plastic pans are unsuitable for weighing powder because of severe static cling. I use the metal RCBS pan instead for powder.

Metal powder scale pans are available on Amazon for under $10.

Other than the pan, this scale has been absolutely outstanding.

V/R
B
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:50 pm  Reply with quote

I've also have RCBS scales 60 years. Plus a lyman
Set of scales. I cross check then every so often. Never had a problem. They go back in the boxes they come in when I'm done just to keep the dust off.
Citori16
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:51 pm  Reply with quote

After using a Lyman D-7 for years, I broke down & bought a cheapie Load Pro-1500 for about $35. I would say there must be better out there, as it tends to under read if I trickle powder in the Lyman pan I use it with, requiring me to tap it for a reliable weight. However it is rather consistent once I do that or when I pour out a whole powder charge to check my drops, is relatively easy to use, and fairly quick for the read out.

I am more interested in what others guys use, as I may look to upgrade in the near future.

hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:55 pm  Reply with quote

Bought a 1500 gr National Scale digital from Midway $25---only way to go!!!!!
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:47 am  Reply with quote

bought my 1st digital quite a few yrs ago form BP , on sale for less than 20 bucks . checked things with a Safety Scale and never looked back ! Don't know how I got thru the 1st 50 yrs without an accident , but that little digital really opened my eyes ! Don't leave home without one !