16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Roster's ridiculous statement in Shooting Sportsman
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

I have a subscription to Shooting Sporstman for one reason, to read the articles by Wyochukar.....that's it.

In the January/February 2023 edition, Tom Roster states that putting a 2 3/4" load into a 2 1/2" hull and roll crimping will put the PSI over SAAMI max. First of all many of us have actually tried this, and no one that I know of has ever recorded higher pressures. I've seen them close to the same chamber pressure to about 500 PSI lower than a fold crimped load of the identical components, but never higher. He goes on to say it's because you have reduced the volume of the hull???? Really??? Total BS. This guy should know better than that and he produces reloading manuals??? He must consult with BPI.

This article is a perfect example of why I don't read magazines any more.

A finished 2 3/4" 12 gauge fold crimped hull is 2.330" plus or minus, depending on the hull, load,etc.

A finished 2 3/4" 16 gauge fold crimped hull is 2.360" plus or minus, depending on the hull, load,etc.

That leaves a fair amount of hull to roll over, after cutting it down to 2 1/2".

Sorry for the rant, but this kind of stuff is just uncalled for, especially from Roster. He obviously doesn't know what he thinks he knows.

I won't even start to comment on the keeping shells warm nonsense later in his article(article is being generous), he must only hunt in Mexico.

Last edited by MSM2019 on Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:51 pm  Reply with quote

After further review.....

In Sept. 2021, I just happened to have reloaded 2 boxes of:

Remington RGL hull
Winchester 209
21.0 Grains 800-X
Claybuster CB0100-16 wad
1 oz. #7 magnum.

This load is right off the Hodgdon website. The difference between the two boxes one was fold crimped. The other box was roll crimped.

The OAL....fold crimped loads were 2.340" the roll crimped loads were 2.360". Basically they are crimped to the same OAL. Which means that the contents of the load take up the same amount of room in the hull.

How in the world is a roll crimp using a thin overshot card going to increase pressure over the fold crimped load......especially to be over SAAMI MAP??? With the exact same amount of room for the load in the shell? Kinda blows the volume argument right out of the water......where it belongs in the first place.

All I can do is sit here and shake my head.

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:30 pm  Reply with quote

Actually Rosters comments lacks common sense.
If the content of the load is the same in roll crimp 2 1/2" or 2 3/4 fold crimp. Between the two will make little difference. Which could be couple of tenths ×/- 2 tenths in most all load will change somewhat.
Jta5er
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

I had to read what he wrote,expecting to see some data or quote about some testing from Tom. Instead to my surprise he just threw out some garbage internet like statement, you would expect from some goof( which I didn’t expect he was). Hopefully word gets to him that his credibility is at stake and he puts some data where his mouth is.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:47 am  Reply with quote

I like that Mag , and a few of Mr Rosters articles caught my eye . He did an article on long range 28ga loads . In the article he mention CCI M primers and Feds . He proceeded thru the article leaving out the Fed primer results . I sent him an email about this as I had Feds and had to borrow the CCI's . The response was : if you need further results , contact my office and have a credit card handy as it's 85 bucks an hr plus a fee for the result wanted . End of contact with that guy !!

MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:24 am  Reply with quote

I dealt with Mr. Roster, many years ago.....this is kinda like the pot calling the kettle black, but he isn't Mr. Congeniality and Precision was selling his manuals back then!!

Jta5er said something about his credibility, not sure he cares.

Roster has actually had some decent articles recently, but this last one has got me wondering.

DUKFVR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:38 am  Reply with quote

Never cared one bit for roster.
Always seemed like a pompous azz.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:43 am  Reply with quote

DUKFVR,

You have obviously dealt with Mr. Roster!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

bigblue
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:18 am  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
I like that Mag , and a few of Mr Rosters articles caught my eye . He did an article on long range 28ga loads . In the article he mention CCI M primers and Feds . He proceeded thru the article leaving out the Fed primer results . I sent him an email about this as I had Feds and had to borrow the CCI's . The response was : if you need further results , contact my office and have a credit card handy as it's 85 bucks an hr plus a fee for the result wanted . End of contact with that guy !!
WOW! that would do it for me . Makes me value the help I get from the members on this board.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:02 pm  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
I dealt with Mr. Roster, many years ago.....this is kinda like the pot calling the kettle black, but he isn't Mr. Congeniality and Precision was selling his manuals back then!!

And in return Roster wrote an article on shot hardness and plated shot. And sung the praises of Precision nickel plated shot, he claimed it was the best of the best anywhere.

https://www.shotgunlife.com/shotguns/tom-roster/understanding-lead-shot-quality-part-2.html

Roster lost me when he claimed steel shot was as effective as lead on phesants out to 50 yards. Didn't buy it then and don't buy it now. So I decided to test the plated shot from Precision to Lawrence Copper plated and straight Lawrence Lead.

The straight lead Lawrence crushed the Precision Nickel shot. And the copper plated Lawrence crushed the nickel plated Precision like it was butter.

I bought 4 bags of the copper plated Lawrence from the same batch I tested from Recobs. Plated shot only helps determine who shot which bird at the end of the day. It is the hardness of the underlying shot that matters. And it will vary from batch to batch. Another thing he failed to mention.

He claimed that the Precision shot was Lawrence 6% antimony. The highest I am aware of Lawrence ever being, and it was very old stock, is 4.85% antimony. And since Mayco now owns both Lawrence and West Coast they both have gone downhill considerably since.

I have 8 bags of #7.5 true 6% antimony being delivered tomorrow from CAC in Pa. Shipping was spendy and half the cost of the shot. If it turns out to be what is claimed I will buy a ton of it (40 bags) so that I can get freight through truck carrier and greatly reduce the cost per bag.

Did I mention yet that Roster lost me as a reliable reference source a long time ago?
Hootch
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:10 am  Reply with quote

Roster is the smartest guy he ever met...
BWW
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:44 pm  Reply with quote

Funny. I find that to be true more often than not!

Bob
graybeardtmm3
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:52 am  Reply with quote

Hootch wrote:

you guys are missing an essential fact;

for most of us who visit/haunt these kind of websites, it's because of our interest....somewhere between a hobby & an obsession.

for roster it's a business....his goal is keeping his name in as many publications as possible....and if the market wants bulls**t....he is happy to supply it.

there are numerous regulars, here and other sites, whose knowledge far surpasses that of roster...

best regards,

tom

graybeardtmm3
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:52 am  Reply with quote

Hootch wrote:

you guys are missing an essential fact;

for most of us who visit/haunt these kind of websites, it's because of our interest....somewhere between a hobby & an obsession.

for roster it's a business....his goal is keeping his name in as many publications as possible....and if the market wants bulls**t....he is happy to supply it.

there are numerous regulars, here and other sites, whose knowledge far surpasses that of roster...

best regards,

tom

graybeardtmm3
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:59 am  Reply with quote

sorry fellows, i tried sending this message mulitiple times because i keep getting error messages when i tried to submit....and there was no provision for correcting what ever was malfunctioning.

revisited today and discovered that (unknown to me) the system had accepted every one of the previous attempts to submit....i don't understand whats going on here.

best regards,

tom

Last edited by graybeardtmm3 on Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total