16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  gauges we actually use
PawleysJim
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:13 am  Reply with quote

Sporting Days wrote:
I hear you Pine Creek Dave. I really wish the British cartridge companies — Hull Cartridge, Gamebore — would start sending their 2 1/2” shells over here for sale. Huge variety in gauge options, etc. I am a huge fan of RST and will always support them if I can but we are going on three years with almost no production? The ammo shelves are full again in the retail shops — yet still nothing from RST.

I spoke with the Gambore US people before Christmas. As they still have backorders in Europe he said it will be some time, a long time before any 2-1/2 will show up here.

PC Dave; since I bought my 16g LC Smith 2-1/2 because of you...please send me a case. Cool

There have been a number of guns I have had an interest in, but being 2-1/2" there is no point.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:29 am  Reply with quote

PawleysJim wrote:
Sporting Days wrote:
I hear you Pine Creek Dave. I really wish the British cartridge companies — Hull Cartridge, Gamebore — would start sending their 2 1/2” shells over here for sale. Huge variety in gauge options, etc. I am a huge fan of RST and will always support them if I can but we are going on three years with almost no production? The ammo shelves are full again in the retail shops — yet still nothing from RST.

I spoke with the Gambore US people before Christmas. As they still have backorders in Europe he said it will be some time, a long time before any 2-1/2 will show up here.

PC Dave; since I bought my 16g LC Smith 2-1/2 because of you...please send me a case. Cool

There have been a number of guns I have had an interest in, but being 2-1/2" there is no point.

Not if you reload.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:51 pm  Reply with quote

uncledanfan,

If I had enough 2 1/2" shells I would send a mixed case to you, unfortunately I am low also, and with RST & Poly not making shells right now it looks as if I may have to start rolling my own again, which I am going to absolutely hate. I am not shooting Clays with my 2 1/2" shells at all right now.

In order to eliminate the problems, purchase a later made L.C. Smith with 2 3/4" chambers, I might just purchase another 16 with 2 3/4" chambers myself.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:06 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
uncledanfan,

If I had enough 2 1/2" shells I would send a mixed case to you, unfortunately I am low also, and with RST & Poly not making shells right now it looks as if I may have to start rolling my own again, which I am going to absolutely hate. I am not shooting Clays with my 2 1/2" shells at all right now.

In order to eliminate the problems, purchase a later made L.C. Smith with 2 3/4" chambers, I might just purchase another 16 with 2 3/4" chambers myself.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

I just sold my new Dickinson Estate 16. I'd rather go through the hassle of reloading so I can keep shooting my vintage guns.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
PatrickB
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:07 pm  Reply with quote

Only shoot a few favorite 16 double guns these days. Works for me. I do reload so no concerns unless the supply issue continues for the next few years. All my doubles are old but are 2 3/4 chambers. Sold the vintage 2 1/2 chambered doubles long before the pandemic.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:28 pm  Reply with quote

uncledanfan,

I sure understand your thinking, it is really hard to stop shooting a great vintage double gun. We can hope RST, Poly and others start supplying shells again. For now I will just shoot my 2 3/4" Chambered guns a little more, and use my 2 1/2" shells for hunting only.

You might consider Rolling and selling the 2 1/2" 16 gauge shells, you might make some serious money.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Sporting Days
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

So this raises another question ... I have a Fox Sterlingworth 16 and a L.C. Smith 16, both with 2 3/4 chambers. What modern loads are safe to shoot in these (more recent) vintage guns?
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:37 pm  Reply with quote

Sporting Days,

Just about any manufacturers 2 3/4" shells 1250 FPS and below will be safe for your old Sterligworth Fox gun, as long as the gun is kept in good working order. I would not use the hot 1300 FPS and above in the old gun, just because of its age. When in doubt have a Master Gum Maker inspect you're old double gun, prior to using it. My guns all get used every year for both Clays shooting and Grouse/Wodcock hunting, maintain them properly and they will last many life times.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total

ROMAC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:21 pm  Reply with quote

I use 10,12,16 & 20 gauges regularly. I toy with a 28 now and then, and have had at least one 410 over the years but not presently.

I reload short 10's (2 7/Cool for my Francotte and W&C Scott and mostly low recoil spreader loads for my classic 12's & 16's when I need them. My timing was good and I bought 10 flats of 16 gauge from Cabela's when they were dumping them for $49 to $59 a flat so I've got enough to last me a good long time.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:51 am  Reply with quote

ROMAC wrote:
I use 10,12,16 & 20 gauges regularly. I toy with a 28 now and then, and have had at least one 410 over the years but not presently.

I reload short 10's (2 7/Cool for my Francotte and W&C Scott and mostly low recoil spreader loads for my classic 12's & 16's when I need them. My timing was good and I bought 10 flats of 16 gauge from Cabela's when they were dumping them for $49 to $59 a flat so I've got enough to last me a good long time.

Smart. Wish I had done that.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:01 pm  Reply with quote

I use all but 24 and 32 ga. and would use them too, if I had either. The 12 and 16 see the most use, the .410 is used the least.

canvasback
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:07 pm  Reply with quote

I traditionally have been a 12 and 16 guy. And those were the only guages I owned. Starting about three years ago I added 20 gauge and 28 gauge.

Since then I have used both gauges but find old habits die hard....I reach for either a 12 or a 16.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:45 am  Reply with quote

Canvasback,

I can fully understand that if you are a big time Duck hunter that you reach for the 12 & 16 gauge guns, most of the time. The more upland hunting you do the more you will use you're 20 & 28 gauge guns. I have an old #2, 20 gaige Grouse gun that has been sleeved for 28 gauge, it gets used quite a bit in the Grouse Woods. My 12 gauge guns get used mostly for Pheasants and with light shells they hit the Grouse Woods, especially in the early part of Grouse season when the habitat is so very thick.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

16 gauge guns are still some of most favorite Woodcock & Grouse guns.

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

I mostly shoot a 28 gauge over and under with two triggers; cylinder choke on the bottom barrel with small shot and modified on the top with 6’s or larger. Reno

drcook
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

I strictly use a 16ga. except for when I used to hunt deer, and then I have a Ithaca 37 Deerslayer II with the fixed barrel. I have 16's configured for every possible scenerio that I would encounter in hunting.