16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  low pressure loads???

What size load in a 2 9/16 chamber
2 1/2 low pressure load
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
2 9/16 low pressure load
33%
 33%  [ 6 ]
2 3/4 low pressure load
44%
 44%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 18

lumpy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

I am curious how many reloaders that own an older 2 9/16" chambered gun actually shoot a matching low pressure load or just go with a low pressure load in a 2 1/2" shell or a low pressure load in a standard 2 3/4" shell.

"There are no athiest in a foxhole"
Col. Sherman T. Potter
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:36 pm  Reply with quote

Years ago 2 1/2" was a 20 gauge thing......

Funny 2 1/2" 16 bore wasn't even around in this country way back when....

2 9/16" was the "shorter" 16 gauge shell we shot. I still do low pressure or no in my old American guns so chambered.

Slidehammer
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:26 am  Reply with quote

Lumpy,
I'd have to say all of the above. You can safely shoot any of the mentioned shells in a 16 gauge chambered at 2-9/16" of they are of the proper PSI.
Now, an auto or pump might not cycle them, but you can safely shoot them.
I have a fair number of 16 gauge guns. Most are SxS's and 95% of them have 2-9/16" chambers. I reload all 3 hull lengths, and shoot them in my guns. In fact 75% of these guns are either Twist or Damascus barrels.

Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:55 am  Reply with quote

In my uneducated and ill informed personal opinion, listen to me at your own risk....

The difference between 2 9/16" and 2 3/4" is not a factor in SxS and O/U. The impact on chamber pressures is minimal.

However it is a factor in autoloaders and pumps because of the mechanical design and ejection of empties. That's the real reason to load 2 9/16" shells.

Jeff
lumpy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:10 am  Reply with quote

My appologies on my not clarifying this a little better.
I made the assumption that most would reply based on having a Double gun. as the autos and the pumps would have ejector problems with the difference in size.

"There are no athiest in a foxhole"
Col. Sherman T. Potter
RWG
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:21 pm  Reply with quote

Dave M. wrote:
Lumpy,
I'd have to say all of the above.

I'm with Dave on this one. You can shoot low pressure 2 3/4" shells in a 2 9/16" chamber (In fact Larry Brown will tell you Fox made their chambers 2 9/16" but always intended that the shooter use 2 3/4" shells and the guns are so marked--works better for the fiber wads of the day). The one caveat I will make is this--if your gun has steep forcing cones, then I would stick with 2 1/2" shells. Especially if you want to reload the hulls. One german gun I had was 2 1/2" tapered chambered and super steep cones. Tore up all my 2 1/2" shells at the crimp line. After a cone job, the gun now shoots 2 3/4" shells without issue.
Popski
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

There is no difference between 2 1/2" and 2 9/16" shells because there aren't any true 2 1/2" ones. All those sold as 2 1/2" today are 65 mm which is 2 9/16". If you don't believe it mike some fired ones. They will all be between 2.545" to about 2.561". 2 9/16" expressed decimally is 2.5625".

The start of this thread, which is do you fire 2 1/2", 2 9/16" or 2 3/4" low pressure loads in your 2 9/16" chambered gun really should be asking WHAT PRESSURE LOADS DO YOU FIRE IN YOUR 2 9/16" CHAMBERED GUN? Hull length has small effect on pressure - that has been well established -hoary old warnings to the contrary, but pressure of the fodder you feed through the gun has an enormous effect on long term gun life.

P