16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Hogdon
3birddogs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:59 am  Reply with quote

Hogdon has confirmed that it is ceasing production of it's Clays series of powders for 3 years due to a large government contract. I was told this at a reloading supply store. I posted this on the Parker Forums and a member emailed Hogdon and got a reply confirming it.
Tighten your belts fellows.

3birddogs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:06 am  Reply with quote

This would include Universal, International, and Clays. I use the first 2 a lot. I only have 1 lb of International left, but have a new 4 lber of Universal. I still have 4 lbs of the old 7625 and a couple lbs of PB to use, and some GD, RD, and 12 lbs 20/28.

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:28 am  Reply with quote

[quote="3birddogs"]This would include Universal, International, and Clays. I use the first 2 a lot. I only have 1 lb of International left, but have a new 4 lber of Universal. I still have 4 lbs of the old 7625 and a couple lbs of PB to use, and some GD, RD, and 12 lbs

Their are other powder companies. Dont sound like good business to not take care of your main customers along the way.
I know from experience that when the gov. is done with you they throw you away like a wet rag unless your linning someones pockets. Thats why the pay 600.00$ for toiletseats.]
df
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:51 am  Reply with quote

I used Clays for years for my 12 ga sporting clays loads. When it became hard to find 5-6 years ago, I moved to Red Dot and I’m not going back to Clays.
kennedy756
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:57 am  Reply with quote

I use universal in both 16 ga and most of my pistols. what is a good substitute for 16 ga using rem black hulls?

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:09 am  Reply with quote

kennedy756,

Unique

FallCreekFan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:01 am  Reply with quote

Well, the hits just keep on coming. Confused

International is my “go to” with Universal the backup.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:43 am  Reply with quote

It's not a good thing to have Hodgdon owning the rights to so many powders. They can do what they want....and they obviously are.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:09 am  Reply with quote

Personally I'm not buying it. For one if it was true you would be reading it all over places like SGW and TS.com among others.

Hodgdon doesn't manufacture Clay powders it is contracted through General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems. Flake powders like Clay powders are made at the GD plant in Canada. Ball powders at the GD plant in Florida. I can find nothing about GD changing production doing a search.

Doesn't mean it isn't true, but I highly doubt it is. Rumors like this have been common every time a powder shortage comes up. When COVID hit and powder dried up Hodgdon put up an article about it in 2019.

POWDER SHORTAGE STATEMENT
Q: I have seen/heard many rumors and conjecture on powder shortages with Hodgdon Powder.
A: If you do not hear it directly from Hodgdon Powder Company, please be skeptical.

For at least 3 years now this statement has also been on their website.
Q: What is causing the supply challenges?
A: Quite simply, our manufacturing facilities have not kept up with our orders. Additionally, military contracts began specifying Hodgdon powders in the last few years for military ammunition, impacting our supply. With expanded government regulation, shipping explosive and energetic materials has become more challenging, which also impacts available supply. Lastly, rapidly changing consumer preferences for different powder types has impacted both demand and supply. We worked with all Hodgdon providers to resolve open issues and expect powder supply to improve in 2020 as a result.

Nothing new has been added to the site since then.

df wrote:
I used Clays for years for my 12 ga sporting clays loads. When it became hard to find 5-6 years ago, I moved to Red Dot and I’m not going back to Clays.

I used to buy kegs of Red Dot when you get such a thing. This one was from 83

Went to Clays not long after it came out. Not sure how many 8 pounders of it I have gone through but a lot. The plastic kegs are good for storing used oil though.

No plans to go back to Red Dot if I can help it. But I will take all the Green Dot I can get my hands on Very Happy But also use a lot of International Clays. Or now known as just International.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:15 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron,

I hope you are correct.

3birddogs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:50 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron---as stated in initial post email from Hogdon confirmed this. I hope I'm wrong.

3drahthaars
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:06 am  Reply with quote

$#it

I was really hoping to get some Unique... it's in several of my go to loads.

But, it would be nice if Hogdon licensed to another mfr to make up the shortfall in production on some of its products in the interim to carry the private sector over.

As for the DoD and the $600 toilet seat from my experience as a defense contractor the excessive costs were driven mostly by the incompetence of my government counterparts who instead of understanding the technical, issues mandated testing upon testing to cover their asses.

At age 30 I was hell bent on pursuing a patent(s), whereas my counterparts were mainly interested in early retirement and collecting their pensions.

Doubtless Hogdon is getting in on rearming the DoD for the $ billions of weapons we sent to Ukraine... that's just how it works.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

Well apparently there is some basis of truth to this. I contact Hodgdon when this first showed up. Asked if there was any truth to the rumor that Universal, Clays and International would not be available for 3 years due to Government contracts. They just replied:

Currently we are looking at 2024 for next production/shipping.

Better than 3 years. But still not good.
Citori16
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:47 pm  Reply with quote

It figures…I just tried some Clays loads on Monday, and I like it a lot. But I only have 4 bottles. I am now tempted to hold onto it for possible use in my daughters Beretta 20ga, though I don’t see any recipes on the Hodgdon site.

I guess I’ll be watching out for Claydot…

df
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:03 pm  Reply with quote

One of the lessons in reloading these days is, “if you find a good mix of components that work well, buy a multi year supply.”
At least that what I’ve done for quite a few years.