16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  old winchester components
bigblue
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:46 pm  Reply with quote

Bought a 686 20 gauge 30inch O/U pulled out some old old stock AA hulls and wads and 10 lbs of 4756 and a bag of #7 1/2 Lawrence hard shot and some Fed 209 primers .Forgot how that old stuff worked so well We had it good back then. Now we try to convince ourselves that all this promo ammo is not so bad as we all know most of it is junk. Sad Sad Any thoughts ?
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

AMEN, Brother
Truly
Mike

hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:49 pm  Reply with quote

It]'s been years since using those components----Ahhh the days of going to a REAL gunshop,talking with owner,components available and decent prices---then filling up the tank with $1.00 gas.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:59 am  Reply with quote

Oh yes I remember it well. On weekends buddy and I would hit 10 or 12 gunshops within 50 mile radius. Never thought about not. Finding components. Now politics taking everything away. Kinda hard for reality to set in for most people.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:46 am  Reply with quote

How could you ever beat, in 12, 16, 20 & 28 gauge, using Winchester CF hulls, Winchester primers and Winchester wads matched up with 700-X, PB, SR7625 or SR4756?

You could make anything from target loads to full on hunting loads with no problem and you barely had to adjust the machine.

I just found about 100 16 ga. Winchester CF hulls. Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!

I have used a pile of Winchester primers/hulls, WAA16 wads and SR7625. Wish I had them all back.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:16 am  Reply with quote

I have a bin with a couple thousand CF AA 20 ga. hulls in the garage. And a couple flats of 20 ga. loaded with Red Dot. Before Lyman's and that Al Gore fellow invented the internet we used to load a lot of 20 ga. with Red Dot. Back when you could get 12 and 15 pound kegs of it.

West Coast and Lawrence is not what it used to be, since Mayco took over both it has gotten softer. Cheaper. I still have 28 bags of both in the reloading room. Some of it the good old fashioned hard stuff.

But just bought 8 bags of Heper 7.5 shot from CAC in Pa. Wonderful, the price has gone up $1.50 a bag in the last week.

https://cacassociatesinc.com/collections/heper-shot

It is the only 6% Antimony shot left anymore. Be interesting to see if STS is 6% Antimony when it finally becomes available again. STS and Nitros haven't fared well since Vista purchase although to be honest they started going downhill before then.

Promo shells, those are the shells you shoot at hunter clays type courses that are close and easy just to get some more hulls to reload, right? Laughing

There was a time any hull that hit the ground was automatically assumed to belong to the club. Some clubs had signs that said so. And now seems like the ground is littered with hulls at most places. Yeah times have changed.
Citori16
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:25 pm  Reply with quote

They were just starting to phase out the Win CF 16 when I got into reloading. I shudder to think of how many I threw away before that. I saved about 400 or so, reloaded most a couple of times, then stashed them when I bought the Citori. Along with some Win AA wads & primers, I will eventually be loading these with copper plated number 6 for grouse/woodcock.

I have heard they tend to get brittle with age, hopefully I avoid that before I load them.

Chukarman
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

Citori16 wrote:
They were just starting to phase out the Win CF 16 when I got into reloading. I shudder to think of how many I threw away before that. I saved about 400 or so, reloaded most a couple of times, then stashed them when I bought the Citori. Along with some Win AA wads & primers, I will eventually be loading these with copper plated number 6 for grouse/woodcock.

I have heard they tend to get brittle with age, hopefully I avoid that before I load them.

I've shooting and loading Win 16CF AA type hulls for 30 years. I've never had any get brittle with age. YMMV.

Chukarman
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

Citori16 wrote:

I've shooting and loading Win 16CF AA type hulls for 30 years. I've never had any get brittle with age.

Chukarman
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

Citori16 wrote:

I've shooting and loading Win 16CF AA type hulls for 35 years. I've never had any get brittle with age.

Citori16
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

Chukarman wrote:

I've shooting and loading Win 16CF AA type hulls for 35 years. I've never had any get brittle with age.

Great to hear, I won’t worry so much then.

Is this THE Chukarman who made the 16ga reloading database from 20-odd years ago that I still refer to?

4setters
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:30 pm  Reply with quote

Another amen to Chukarman (apologies to Skeettx). Probably have a couple thousand 16 gauge CFs, hulls and live rounds--a few hulls even having the Upland logo on the side!. Don't think I ever threw any away intentionally. Have scored 4 boxes of high brass CFs with cute 8 star crimps in the last few months. They are still out there if one wants to look for them.

Something else i have never had go bad is Rem R and SP wads. Some of what I have stashed away are undoubtedly more than 20 years old. Like new. So, another amen.

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:31 am  Reply with quote

Chukarman’s reloading spreadsheet was and is an inspiring basis for my reloading data. We all owe him a debt, I know that I do.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:44 am  Reply with quote

I am down to my last 75 or so Winchester CF hulls and they are all twice fired.

Every time I have seen CF hulls for sale, the price is ridiculous(at least to me) or the new ammo is 6's or something I can't or won't burn up fast enough to get the hulls.

Good thing I have enough other hulls that it really isn't a big deal.

bigblue
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:07 am  Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Speaking OLD how about Lujutics found a few thousand 12 28 and 410 gauge in the stock pile. Been loading them up for skeet to use them up. We were so poor in those days that we would also wash fired plastic wads and reload them to be able to shoot. Anyone else remember those days .