16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Price of ammo
colsen1
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't shot in a few years between covid, 2 kids and a big move but what in the hell happened to the price of ammo? Shocked Does anyone think it will ever come back down to "normal" levels or even close? I dont think I can even afford this hobby anymore with these crazy prices on top of everything else going up!

I looked at 16ga ammo on gunbroker and couldn't believe what people were asking for flats of ammo.

I have at least 4 flats of the original purple Herters hulls sitting in my office right now and I feel like I'm sitting on a gold mine. Hell these may end up being listed for sale anyway so I can pay to go shoot some clays with all my handloads.

Anyone looking for ammo in coastal SC? Cool
df
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:27 pm  Reply with quote

In my opinion, it will not go down to the level it was 3-4 years ago, or anything close to those price levels.
Those who reload and had laid in a big supply of components ahead of the inflation, are sitting good. Others, not so much.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:09 am  Reply with quote

With the prices now I would say they have priced half the shooters put of the game. I seen this coming beginning of the Obammy years. I started laying in my supply at his beginning. His 2nd term I bought nothing. When Trump got in and things got reasonable I went back to building my supply when herters were 59.00 a flat. Shot 30.00 bag . Cheddite primers 99 to 100 $ a sleve. 8 lb powder average 110 to 135$. I was afraid people were stupid enough not to realize how good they had it and vote for somebody that promised the world. That's what happened. And now nobody doing anything about the corrupt voting we are doomed. I'll probably have supplies up the yang and nobody to shoot with. Sorry about the rant.
df
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:42 am  Reply with quote

I also stocked up heavily, when Obummer was elected. I shoot a lot, shotgun, and rifle. But my son Will inherent lots of reloading components.
nj gsp
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:44 am  Reply with quote

I have enough 16 gauge ammo to last for years. It's always been relatively scarce so I used to buy it when I found it. But yeah as a whole, ammunition is expensive enough it will probably price some people out of the shooting sports.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:45 am  Reply with quote

nj gsp wrote:
I have enough 16 gauge ammo to last for years. It's always been relatively scarce so I used to buy it when I found it. But yeah as a whole, ammunition is expensive enough it will probably price some people out of the shooting sports.

You can never have enough when opertunity knocks
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:36 pm  Reply with quote

50 percent plus price increase is hurting the shooting community. 12 gauge shells at 10 bucks a box-- 8lb powder 300 plus. Evil or Very Mad Shocked Crying or Very sad
Brewster11
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:55 pm  Reply with quote

Times are tough indeed. $16 for 16 ga Feds at the club! Reloading is a must. But we also have 1 1/4 oz 12 ga Feds for 8 dollars and change, so I shoot more 12 nowadays.

I have to believe the producers when they say they are going all out. And they must supply US civilian AND DoD users at the same time. But there is unfortunately a very hot war going on in Europe right now that is using ammo drawn from US military stockpiles which must be replenished. So given a choice between supplying recreational shooters and the military, guess who gets top priority? Not us.

We forget how tight ammo supplies were when we were fighting TWO wars in the Middle East a while back. But things got better. So peace will have to break out again before prices ease.

V/R
B.
BWW
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:54 pm  Reply with quote

Recently, I got stupid lucky? Went to a gun show near me and walked past a guy selling an assortment of stuff. It was on Sunday around noon. Show closed at 3.
He had 5 boxes of 16 ga target ammo (Remington) and he saw me looking at them and said "I will sell you all 5 boxes of that ammo for $20. I have had it awhile ".
I could not get the money out fast enough.
Lucky, I guess.

Bob
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster, I'll have do disagree to a point. 10 years we fought the Nam war. Gunclubs were in full swing. Gunshops were around every corner. Supplies were never in the question. You could and I did shoot at a different club 6 nights a week. On Monday night was my night to load. Their were several of the guys that you would run into each other at different clubs at different time. So all this shortage is brought on by filling big pockets in other countries. Due to people paying neglect what corrupt attempts on this country by many of our own citizens. Seen this coming at the beginning of 1962.