16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Lube revisited
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:57 pm  Reply with quote

I'm wondering about a lube specifically for the pivot points on break action guns. I use various rust preventatives and liquid lubes on parts, but specifically of the pivot it seems to me that a highly viscous grease would have the best lube and staying in place. I've used RIG and RCBS case lube and a few other things that escape me at the moment. What do you use and are you satisfied with its performance?
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:51 am  Reply with quote

I use RIG, STOS or RCBS resizing lube

https://www.reloaders.com/products/stos-2oz-jar

MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:53 am  Reply with quote

I use Superlube. It's synthetic and it doesn't stain gloves, clothes, hands etc. Water or salt water doesn't bother it.

I have also used Shooter's Choice red grease (in the tube).

Lots of folks use STOS.

Any good lubricant that stays put will work.

I don't like oil on hinge pins and shoulders, because it runs off. Oil isn't supposed to stay put it is supposed to flow.

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:47 am  Reply with quote

Mobile One Universal synthetic, or, the aircraft rated version, Mobile 28. The synthetics retain consistent viscosity over a very wide range of temperatures. I am also just coming to the end of a tube of Mystic synthetic all purpose grease. Following an idea on maintenance of Remington 1100 shotguns, I have been running it “wet” with plenty of lube (Breakfree) and grease on a few high wear spots on the action, and the gun is running better than ever, with fewer cleanings. This is the All Weather version of the 1100, a 20 gauge lightweight, and there are no worries about the wood on the gun, because there isn’t any.

I was taught, years ago, to leave lube off your semi autos when it got cold. That notion always bugged me. I saw a few guns get stiff in the cold, but,we didn’t have the lubricants we have now, back in the 1970s. My last few times to the range have been well below freezing, not below zero, but, cold enough to cause poor or improper maintenance to show up, and all has been good. I’m much happier running a well lubricated gun in the cold, and the results have been good. My double guns, at least the guns that have a hinge pin, get the same grease on the pin, and have for years.

Best,
Ted

kennedy756
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:32 am  Reply with quote

Rig

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
nj gsp
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:13 am  Reply with quote

I've been using EEZOX for years, it works very well. I just put a drop on the hinge pin when assembling. I also do this on my trap gun, which sees a lot more cycling than the field guns, and it works fine.

Here's a review of CLP oils, there are a few brands missing but the testing processes are interesting to watch: https://youtu.be/fibRewlndLg
df
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

I use grease on the hinge points on all my 2 tube guns.

Last edited by df on Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

CMD----Kolar uses this exclusively.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:34 pm  Reply with quote

In the early 70's when Perazzi first came to the US they sent the Master Perazzi gunsmith Giacomo Arrighini to Ithaca as well. He swears by Triflow oil. So do I.

I was first turned onto Triflow in the yards in Washington State in the late 70's by a yardbird. I have always had some on hand since. I get it at bike shops, racing bikers use it to lube the chain and sprocket. It stays in place in the rain and through mud. And reduces resistance enough to make the difference between a win or loss.

Spending 20 years as a Machinist Mate Chief I can talk lubrication of pretty much everything including hydrodynamic herringbone grooved journal bearings with thrust bearings until both our eyes glaze over.

Whatever you use the most critical thing in my experience is that you keep all friction points clean. After each use, no matter what you use. The few times I have seen or heard of galling on a break action gun it was by someone that used grease. But I strongly suspect they had a poor cleaning & lubricating routine. My guess is it is the same person that would put leather conditioner on boots without cleaning them first.
nj gsp
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:55 pm  Reply with quote

My GF's dad gave her his 16 ga 870 he bought at the PX in Texas in the 60's (he said it was either '67 or '64, wasn't sure which year). He said it cost him $68, and that he wished he'd bought one in 12, 20, 28, and 410 also. He sure loved that pump gun.

Anyway, we took it home, and when I pulled it apart I found it was greased to the nines with some kind of black, sticky grease. It was even on the inside of the magazine tube. The action was sluggish and gooey and I couldn't help think it must be hard to rack that thing when it got cold out.

He had used it for every sort of game imaginable - ducks, pheasant, deer, grouse, you name it. It was his only shotgun. And he greased the hell out if it and used it like that for decades.

So I cleaned all that grease out, lubed it with EEZOX, and it is smooth as could be.
duckdup
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:07 pm  Reply with quote

Brake caliper lube for the pivot. Water, pressure, heat, & cold resistant for 60-80,000 miles. T-9 on everything else...

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:40 pm  Reply with quote

I just remembered that I have pictures of an example of a TriFlow maintained gun.

For 15 years I shot a JEG EELL custom combo. I shot 10k-12k rounds a year through it and just it. Several on here remember when I shot it, and I shot it well. Likely because it was the only target gun I used. So conservatively at least 150,000 rounds through it, likely a good bit more.

Looked like new when I sold it and got out of it what I paid for it 15 years earlier. Lever was well right of center and it still locked up tighter than a drum. These are some of the pictures when I listed it.

Even the jeweling looked like new

Took it to the Flatwater shoot one year LOL. Next thing I knew on one station everyone was throwing SxS guns at me. Sold it and has been all downhill ever since then Laughing

But have always had a number of different hunting guns including 16's over the years.
Square Load
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:07 am  Reply with quote

STOS

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
Citori16
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:21 am  Reply with quote

On my double guns: Super Lube on the hinge & any other spot like the sides of the barrels at the lug, or the lock of the forearm. EEZOX on the outside of the barrels and action as well as the ejectors, Hornady One Shot on the inside of the action. I clean with Hoppes #9.

On my semi-autos & pumps: Hornady One Shot pretty much anywhere, EEZOX on the exposed part of the bolt, Super Lube on the buttplate where it meets the stock (helps to keep water out of the stock for those deep swamp treks).

Old colonel2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

Over the years I have used Rig, hinge grease, and other stuff that escapes me at the moment. As of late I have used Eesox.

I believe key things to remember is that grease, lube, etc can attract dirt/grit and become the cause more wear, so keeping it clean is important. Beware of creating problems.

Second a minimum of lube is important, don’t overdue it. More problems are caused by over lubrication than by not lubricating.

Lastly I have come to use Eesox for overall metal protection and lubrication, with the exception of the locks and trigger mechanism, which I lubricate with very small amount of white lithium grease