16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Mec short kit 16ga 2 3/4 to 2 1/2
probie
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:12 am  Reply with quote

Anyone try this before? Your just put this "Plate" on the press that fits over the pre & crimp stations & it allows you to now load 2 1/2" hulls. Seems that easy, fold crimps you have going for your standard 2 3/4" hulls will work now. Is it that easy ?
FallCreekFan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:39 am  Reply with quote

That’s pretty much it. I’ve used one for years on my 600 Jr.
Even made one for my second 600.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:05 am  Reply with quote

They work well. Even cuts down on adjustments with many loads.

probie
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:34 am  Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I guess thats a purchase then. My new hunting buddy has a 16 short chamber SxS thats been laid up for awhile; NO ammo available. I got a 16 Sizemaster.
robp
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:03 pm  Reply with quote

I have made several with 1/4 " aluminum plates very easy fabrication project
Trace the base, mark holes, cut it with a jig saw drill and tap holes its 1/4 20 threads
sand the edges with a belt or disc sander and install 30 minute project if you can find your tools!
I always wondered why nobody drills and taps the center post to get the adjustment height. That's what mec does to adjust between 3" and 2 3/4 inch ammunition for 12 20 and 410
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:26 am  Reply with quote

still use a pile of change - that allows me any change needed shell tp shell . Have loaded a PILE this way .

probie
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:23 pm  Reply with quote

"still use a pile of change - that allows me any change needed shell tp shell . Have loaded a PILE this way ".

hahahah... read in some other blogs about that. Another guy used a quarter with a penny on top. American ingenuity hahah
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:35 am  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
still use a pile of change - that allows me any change needed shell tp shell . Have loaded a PILE this way .

This and/or a couple washers get the job done for me. The taped together mound of washers for my 2.5" 10ga target reloads is comical to look at but works great in the MEC.

3birddogs
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:03 am  Reply with quote

Short kit doesnt seem to be gauge specific--I can rotate it between my 12, 16, and 20 600jr.

T-Bird
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

I've got one, works great. I've tried the washers, quarters, they work too, but this was best for me.
probie
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

hahahh. For S&Gs, tried the "pile of change", aka 1 US quarter on bottom with a similar size holed washer on top. Perfect height attained and folded up 3 test loads for my buddy. As stated, slow, but he's not after making/a very large stash.

He has a small amount of RST hulls, which will have to do for awhile since both BP & PR are out of stock on 2 1/2s for awhile. I was going to suggest he get a hull trimmer and use some 2 3/4 hulls. But if we went that route, would I still be able to use a super crown crimp starter to get the new pre-crimp? To do that, doesn't the hull have to be skived to form a new crimp ? I already have an 8pt. Does it really matter 8pt vs 6pt?
robp
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

I cut all my hull on a table saw with a v-block mounted on the mitre gage.Works very well and is fast and accurate
As for skiving hull I bought a cone shaped carborundum bit at the local Ace hardware mounted it in a drill press and skive away i get very good results with both
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:47 pm  Reply with quote

probie wrote:
He has a small amount of RST hulls, which will have to do for awhile since both BP & PR are out of stock on 2 1/2s for awhile. I was going to suggest he get a hull trimmer and use some 2 3/4 hulls. But if we went that route, would I still be able to use a super crown crimp starter to get the new pre-crimp?

I no longer reload due to lack of space in our retirement apartment but loaded for 44 years before moving. I used a homemade cutter made from a dowel, Exacto blade and round head screw for adjustment. I crimped the cut down hulls with a standard MEC plastic 6 point crimp starter and did not skive the hulls. The resulting loads as tested by Tom Armbrust were the same as loads made in RST 2 1/2 hulls.

Don't make more work than necessary.

I used the MEC short kit because it allowed switching between 2 1/2 and 2 3/4 inch by simply inserting or removing the 1/4 inch baseplate.
makintrax73
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:46 am  Reply with quote

I don't know whether it's a problem particular to my press, or me simply being an idiot. In any case I could not get the MEC short kit to work at all on my press for 65mm hulls. It crushed every hull and did not have the adjustment range to stop crushing hulls.

I fabbed a new plate out of 1/8" AL plate with a skilsaw and a file, and it worked beautifully from jumpstreet with modest crimp station adjustment.
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

I am looking for a 6 point crimp starter to fit on a MEC Super 250 I picked up for the "best" price - free. It came with an 8 pointer. The Cheddite hulls I have are all once fired, 6 pointers and mixing 6s and 8s doesn't seem to work.

I now have 5 short-chambered guns - 2 @12ga, 2 @ 16, 1 @ 20. The RST ammo I've hoarded is way too expensive/precious to shoot at anything other than game. The loads I've found for short shells start with a Cheddite hull most of the time, thus I need to be able to crimp 6 pointers.

With a homemade short kit this Super 250 will make it possible for me to roll my own for these guns. The one 12, I bought shortly before Christmas and haven't shot at all.

So, I'm wondering: will the crimp starters MEC sells today fit on one of the old Super 250?

As an aside, I'm using a hull trimmer made by Byrdog to cut the hulls to length. It works great. I know he hasn't been heard from in some time. If someone has his real name and is willing to share, I'll do some Maine detective work to try to find out what's up. PM me.