16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  12 to 16 Rem Conversion
bigblue
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:05 am  Reply with quote

I have converted two 12 gauge Rem 870 to 16 gauge was not overly difficult and they worked out well . I have researched a 1100 12 to 16 conversion looks doable if the parts are available. My question is has anyone out there done it before? I already own a 1100 16gauge with a Rem choke barrel and a 23ich IC barrel that i made up. I just like to tinker . Rolling Eyes
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:39 pm  Reply with quote

I've got a SX-1 I'm looking to convert. I just haven't taken the time yet to reason it out. I have 3 barrels for it. Only thing I don't like is it would be on a 12 frame. Kinda like when Remington produced their last 1100. I've shot them nut their just to bulky.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:12 pm  Reply with quote

Can't remember who used to convert 28ga 1100's to .410
bigblue
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:29 pm  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
I gunsmith friend that has since passed on had a 410 conversion on a 12 gauge frame .It was a strange looking thing but it worked well . If I remember correctly Simmons had something to do with it.
bigblue
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:34 pm  Reply with quote

Hammer bill wrote:
I've got a SX-1 I'm looking to convert. I just haven't taken the time yet to reason it out. I have 3 barrels for it. Only thing I don't like is it would be on a 12 frame. Kinda like when Remington produced their last 1100. I've shot them nut their just to bulky.
My 1100 is a bit of a mutt with the Rem Choke barrel but my 23" field barrel sans the rib is quit lively and swings well comes in at about 6 1/2 lbs.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:34 pm  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:

Purbaugh:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/remington-shotguns---semi-auto/remington-model-1100-standard-weight-20-ga--purbaugh-conversion-to-410-skeet.cfm?gun_id=101541350

Best,
Ted

Stx4wheeler
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:07 am  Reply with quote

Do you have an article or detail of the process to convert the 870 12 gauge to 16 gauge? I have a spare 12 870 that could be a good candidate for this to be used as a duck hunting gun.

Thanks in advance
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:39 am  Reply with quote

It's been a long time since I owned an 1100. However I've been considering building a full set of 870 Special field guns in all 5 gauges and the concerns with the 16 are similar.

From what I understand, the magazine tube is actually the same on both 16 and 12 gauges.Members here measured a few for me. The barrels will interchange as well.

So...the biggest hurdle would likely be the shell latches that let the next shell out of the magazine when the action cycles. I believe the catches on these are "raised" further outward to keep the smaller shell from slipping past. 870's use one on each side. If I remember correctly, the 1100 only uses one, so replacing it with the 16 ga. version is easy enough. They are just peened into place in the 1100. Mine used to fall out on its own anyway when I disassembled the gun for cleaning.

The other hurdle may be the extractor. Not sure. There may enough movement/ engagement in the system that both 12 and 16 use the same one. Checking part numbers would verify whether it's the same one or different.

The only other issue may be the return spring. I am uncertain if the 16 ga used a lighter spring rate to accommodate lighter recoil or not. Once again, factory part numbers can tell that story.

Remingtons are sort of mix and match to a point. I've known of people building fancier 870's by using the Model 58 engraved receiver.

bigblue
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:08 am  Reply with quote

With the 870 you need left and right shell latches ,16 ejector ,16 bolt the 12 gauge bolt extractor firing pin etc all interchange a 16 barrell . The Special field 870 will need the standard mag tube.(abvious) the 1100 SF will interchange .I am in the process of a 1100 conversion 16 bolt ,20 standard weight action bar and 16 barrel possibly interceptor latch not sure yet . Still a work in progress. The 870 conversion is mostly a drop in other than the ejector install but not overly difficult to do. The hardest part is sourcing the 16 barrel bolt and small parts. You got me thinking WO Chucker a Ingraved model 58 reciever ?