16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  VihtaVuori Powders
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:38 am  Reply with quote

I have been looking at data for VihtaVuori N320, N340, N350 and 3N37.

N320 seems to be good for 1 oz. loads and 3N37 seems to be the best for 1 1/8 oz. loads. I am a lot more concerned with 1 oz. loads because I shoot a fair number of clay targets with my 16 gauge guns.

These are single based powders which should be good in the winter in ND......emphasis on should be.

I am getting itchy to try them and they are in stock at multiple places.

Has anyone tried these powders?

hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

This line of powder was pricey and with limited distribution before Biden---have just stuck w/Alliant line.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

What I have seen Unique and the rest going for and the spotty availability, I am looking for options. Someplaces have Vihtavuori now. Four that I know of (Recob's, Powder Valley, Natchez and Precision) and it is in stock and really not much more than Alliant or Hodgdon stuff.

Looking for options, especially after how W572 performed when it got cold and Hodgdon brags about it being a good 16 gauge powder. They never even answered my email with a company line response when I questioned the cold weather non-perfomance. Then not being able to get Universal until 2024? Not good.

Gotta do something different.

silverbowff
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:05 pm  Reply with quote

Hand warmers in your shell pouch. 😈

A5 Sweet Sixteen
Husqvarna model 49 16
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:13 am  Reply with quote

NO!! LOL

Seriously, I don't treat reloads special, If they don't work at all temps, especially hunting loads, I'm not interested.

bigblue
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:57 am  Reply with quote

silverbowff wrote:
Hand warmers in your shell pouch. 😈
Not really a bad option. I don't think the Vihtavuori option is a good one supply is off and on more so than domestic supply and costly up this way. We have seen it go for $90 plus C dollars a pound .
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:16 pm  Reply with quote

Ended up in Scheel's today. They had Vihtavouri N320 1 lbers. Picked up a pound and some Cheddite CX2000 primers. Both items for less than any of the online places. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:25 pm  Reply with quote

I never tried the shotshell powders but the rifle powders are famous for being very consistent over a wide temperature range. I've had rifles that refused to group well at 500-600 yards with anything else.

Chukarman
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
I never tried the shotshell powders but the rifle powders are famous for being very consistent over a wide temperature range. I've had rifles that refused to group well at 500-600 yards with anything else.

VV rifle powders are excellent and preferred bu many competition benchrest shooters.

bigblue
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:49 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Just saw Vit powder on line from a major dealer up here in the Great White North going for the tidy some of $149.99 C dollars a pound . Not on your life but some this way take the bait just paid $44 C bucks for Lil'Gun and that was a pisser.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:24 am  Reply with quote

The Viht powders at the local Scheels run $38.00 for 1 lb. and $148 for 4 lbs. USD. They had 3N37 (which is one I am interested in) for $123.00 for 4 lbs. USD.

I held off on the 3N37 for now. I want to see how the N320 goes.

So far the N320 loads and meters well. It is a porous, single base tubular powder. Using the Gualandi data for 1 oz. loads (28 gram) it fills the hull and gives a flat, tight crimp. It isn't bulky like some of the Vectan powders. It's similar in density to Universal, but just a tiny bit less dense. Been too busy to chrono them, but I'll find some time soon.

bigblue
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:49 am  Reply with quote

Those are great prices in todays market. Way to pricey in these parts buy a ton as price is sure to increase.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:08 am  Reply with quote

Ya know, I bought a 4 lb. of W572 and it sucks in the cold weather, at least in the 16 gauge using Hodgdon's data. Lesson learned. I should have bought 1 lb. and see how it worked.

I have never been much for stocking, especially on powders/primers that I would only use for hunting. Typically, I buy 2 - 8 lbers of target powder and 5,000 Winchester 209 and 5,000 Federal 209A. For hunting powders 4 lbs. is enough. I see no reason to keep more than that around.

bigblue
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:55 pm  Reply with quote

With your powder needs in the short term are met i would agree go for it. Excellent product would certainly meet your requirements. But the long time picture not so much.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:11 pm  Reply with quote

I don't believe in stocking things.....that's what warehouses are for.

Now if I had money that I didn't know what to do with......