16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Hardly a new topic but Cheddite Primers
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:37 am  Reply with quote

About 6 years ago I bought 500 new primed 16 ga. Cheddite hulls (low brass green). I loaded about 20 of them with two different loads and tried them out over a chronograph. Everything went well except that there were quite a few pierced primers. I figured the 1100 needed a new firing pin, changed it and the same thing happened, lots of pierced primers. I deprimed most of the 16 ga. hulls, and tried the primers in the shotguns I use the most. 12 ga. Benelli SS & Beretta 686. 16 ga. Rem 1100, Rem 870, Model 37, Citori and a Fulton Arms Hunter Special, they all pierced the Cheddite primers some worse than others.

On the off chance that Cheddite might have changed something I bought some CX2000 Cheddites the other day, loaded a bunch up and tried them in all of the above shotguns.....not one pierced primer.

I believe that the hulls I bought had the CX1000 primer and maybe that was the problem......not really sure, but at least I know that the current CX2000 primer doesn't pierce in any of my shotguns.

I know that on some of the other forums, this subject has been beaten to death, but I just wanted to share my latest experience here.

Last edited by MSM2019 on Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:45 am  Reply with quote

That's all I've been shooting for several years now. Never had one pierced.
ole_270
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:03 am  Reply with quote

I've used several bricks of them over the last several years in an old 870 20 ga, 12 ga 686 Onyx, 391 12 ga, and my Dickinson Estate 16 ga SxS with no piercings. Also gone through a few hundred primed cheddite hulls with no problem in the 16. Wish I had stocked up better with them before the shortages hit.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

I have used tens of thousands with no problems in several shotguns.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:55 pm  Reply with quote

Msm
H
Did you check the loader to see if their might be a slight bulge across the top of the rim.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:12 am  Reply with quote

Hammer Bill,

A slight bulge across the top of what rim? You do realize that I am not having a piercing issue with these most current Cheddite CX2000 primers?

I'm not having any problems with any loads and there are 3 different machines involved. A 9000H12, 16 ga. Sizemaster and a 9000G16.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:55 am  Reply with quote

Mark , there might have been an "off" bunch of those back a while . i believe Mikey c had that problem and stopped using them . Yet , like most of the guys here have said , I've used a ton of these and never a problem .

Purple16
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:06 pm  Reply with quote

In 54 years of reloading shotshells I've never had or seen a pierced primer.

Rifles - yes.

I would guess it was poor manufactured lot.

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."
Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:27 am  Reply with quote

Mark, we had a batch of Cheddites that pierced with a couple different guns. The M12 had a severely pitted pin but after cleaning it up the primers still pierced. When that batch was used up, the problem went away. I did notice that the continual piercing made the damage worse on the pin before I repaired it. You might want to discard the batch or set it aside.

Good Luck
B.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:24 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
Hammer Bill,

A slight bulge across the top of what rim? You do realize that I am not having a piercing issue with these most current Cheddite CX2000 primers?

I'm not having any problems with any loads and there are 3 different machines involved. A 9000H12, 16 ga. Sizemaster and a 9000G16.

Speaking back then. I have seed factory and reloads with a slight convex across the face of the brass. Usually many light strikes came from concave across top of the brass.
I had a mod 30 BACK THEN that would not set off a shotshell primer except a fiochi primer. American specks had a slight thicker brass over the anvil. Put a new sticker spring in it and it worked fine.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:29 am  Reply with quote

Either some of you folks aren't reading my original post correctly or you are assuming that I am complaining about currently purchased Cheddite CX2000 primers.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:46 am  Reply with quote

Mark,

What are the indications they are CX1000 and not CX2000?

B.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:46 am  Reply with quote

Brewster11, I am assuming they were because of the hulls they were in. Low brass target type hulls. Other than that I really don't know for sure.

If you look on the Cheddite website it says that the 16 gauge Red & Green hulls have the CX1000 primer in them but, BPI says they are CX2000 primers. I tend to believe Cheddite over BPI. But that was a little over 6 years ago that I bought those hulls so.....and they were purchased from Precision Reloading.

https://www.chedditeitaly.it/bossoli/?lang=en

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:20 pm  Reply with quote

I have had issues with Cheddite primers in factory shells which were set too deep into the primer hole. Result was FTF, 9 in a box of 25.
These were RSTs. RST buys primed hulls from Cheddite. RST does not prime their own hulls.
My problem came down to Cheddite loading literally billions of shotgun shells - primed hulls and factory loads. The primer setting is done on high-speed machines which can, and will, get out of calibration from time to time. Sometimes the primer will be proud, and sometimes too deep. Proud, you get pierced primers (especially if the cup is soft or the firing pin long). Too deep, you get FTF in one gun, and works like a charm in another.

putz463
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:59 am  Reply with quote

Agree, inconsistent primer depth can be an issue. One of my 10's lower barrel would FFT once in a while, after looking into the issue found that occasionally my Sizemaster would convex/dish-in the bottom of the Fed hulls in the deprime/resize station moving the new primer away from the pin, now a quick inspection and a couple whacks with a primer pocket tool solves the few dish in's in those instances.

Word from the old guard floating around my club was that Ched's would erode or break firing pins. Since switching to them in the absence of W209's in the last couple/few years can't say I've seen any chronic piercing issues from light target to maxed out hunting loads through 8 different guns. Once in awhile doesn't get my attention since Feds and Wins in the past pierced on occasion. For grins took a look at a handful of spent mostly Ched primers from the top of the recycle pile and didn't see any piecing in that sample.

So, concur, the new ones do seem to be holding up fine.