16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Shipping Options
drcook
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:54 am  Reply with quote

So what are you all doing regarding shipping ? With the recent changes by UPS and FedEx, the only options left for non-FFL holders are USPS (long arms only) and paying a FFL holder to ship it for you.

What kind of charges are you seeing from FFL holders to ship a gun ?

silverbowff
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:46 am  Reply with quote

Where did you see that an individual has to use a FFL to ship a Longarm to a FFL via USPS? Current USPS web site does not say that, nor does ATF.

A5 Sweet Sixteen
Husqvarna model 49 16
steve f
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

I've never had anyone at USPS ask what I was shipping with a longarm. Mine were double guns broken down and shipped in a hardcase. One suggestion is to weigh the package and print the shipping label at home, cuts down on the interaction with the USPS employee when you ship. All they have to do is put the box on the scale to verify weight and scan the barcode on the label.

If a pistol will fit in a USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate box, it doesn't cost much to ship. My go to gun store in Marietta GA was the now defunct Fourth Armory, who would only charge the actual USPS postage for shipping a pistol, no charge for paperwork and doing the transfer (there are Unicorns).
Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:27 pm  Reply with quote

Our gals at the local PO (who are great) give me the third degree if it looks or smells like a gun. We must have a lot of guys here who ship guns. Gun parts are ok with them. Intact guns, no way. They don’t know if the addressee is a FFL or not.

B.
drcook
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:47 pm  Reply with quote

silverbowff wrote:
Where did you see that an individual has to use a FFL to ship a Longarm to a FFL via USPS? Current USPS web site does not say that, nor does ATF.

you should go back and reread what I said.

Quote:
the only options left for non-FFL holders are USPS (long arms only) and paying a FFL holder to ship it for you.

nowhere did I say what you came up with

Builder
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:01 pm  Reply with quote

Seems to me that USPS doubled Priority charges since the new rule. I have always shipped shotguns using Priority and they never damaged a gun.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:07 pm  Reply with quote

I got an account with UPS. One of the best decisions I've made in a long time. Half the cost of usps, and they pick up at my home, so no more trips across town, standing in line, etc. As for shipping without an ffl, you can ship with any of the big three as long as you're sending it to an ffl. ATF regs say that you're allowed to ship to an ffl gunsmith and have him return it directly back to you, since there's no change of ownership taking place.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
drcook
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
I got an account with UPS. One of the best decisions I've made in a long time. Half the cost of usps, and they pick up at my home, so no more trips across town, standing in line, etc. As for shipping without an ffl, you can ship with any of the big three as long as you're sending it to an ffl. ATF regs say that you're allowed to ship to an ffl gunsmith and have him return it directly back to you, since there's no change of ownership taking place.

Nope. UPS changed their practice late last year, as has FedEx. Only game in town left for non-FFL holders is USPS.

If you get caught shipping any parts, guns etc, they can confiscate it and you will not be compensated.

The antis weren't able to do it legally because of the 2nd Amendment, so they are doing it through the back door. Everyone that thought that their shotguns were ok, were wrong.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20220919/shipping-companies-prohibit-the-lawful-shipping-of-firearms#:~:text=Under%20the%20heading%20How%20To,the%20transportation%20of%20Firearm%20Products.

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/how-to-ship-firearms.html#:~:text=Only%20customers%20holding%20a%20Federal,shipping%20any%20firearms%20with%20FedEx.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/shipping-support/shipping-special-care-regulated-items/prohibited-items/firearms.page#:~:text=CFR%20%C2%A7%20478.12.-,Packaging%20and%20Labeling%20Requirements%20for%20Firearm%20Products,an%20adult%20signature%20upon%20delivery.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

For the past year my customers have had to get a copy of my FFL for the shipping company to ship guns for repair. Yup, another backdoor erosion of the Second Amendment.

silverbowff
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

DR your quote says that you have to pay a FFL to ship it for you. That is not correct. You as an individual can ship a Longarm usps to a FFL. You are not required to have an FFL ship it for you.

A5 Sweet Sixteen
Husqvarna model 49 16
drcook
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

silverbowff wrote:
DR your quote says that you have to pay a FFL to ship it for you. That is not correct. You as an individual can ship a Longarm usps to a FFL. You are not required to have an FFL ship it for you.

you are misreading what I said and trying to bend it to what you interpret what I am saying. I know what I meant and it sure isn't what you think

Quote:
the only options left for non-FFL holders are USPS (long arms only) and paying a FFL holder to ship it for you.

so options is plural. when you add the s to something it makes it more than 1.

so USPS is one option and paying a FFL to ship it is another. not one and the same.

see option 2B.

https://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/apostro.asp#:~:text=Regular%20nouns%20are%20nouns%20that,an%20apostrophe%20after%20the%20s.&text=Rule%202b.,make%20a%20regular%20noun%20plural.

Quote:
Rule 2a. Regular nouns are nouns that form their plurals by adding either the letter s or es (guy, guys; letter, letters; actress, actresses; etc.).

Rule 2b. Do not use an apostrophe + s to make a regular noun plural.

Swampy16
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:27 am  Reply with quote

I’ve been down this road and never again will I ever not ship a gun without shipping from an FFL. As an individual, if it disappears you’re pretty much SOL. Spend the extra $35.
Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:38 am  Reply with quote

I always ship my guns through a local gun shop. He has all the packing materials and I know he will meet the legal requirements. With that said I live in Illinois and this state hates gun owners, so you can’t be too safe.
Good Hunting,
Chicago
707PS
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

This is something that might interest you all. I have a FAIR Iside 16 ga. that was doubling, and sent it to Az. for repair. Shipping cost USPS was $23.50. I got the gun back and fired about a box of shells through it and then the rear trigger would not fire. I sent the gun back to Az. today, USPS, same size, same weight, in fact, the same box, and the cost was $47.35. The clerk said the prices went up on Jan. 22.
That’s all well and good, but I sent the package out the first time Jan. 25. Figure that one out.
drcook
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:55 am  Reply with quote

Here is another fine example of why shipping anything through the USPS is a roll of the dice.

We bought a pair of brush pants from Iowa for my wife. Following the tracking, they arrived at our post office, to be delivered today.

Then for some reason, they have sent them to another city 50 miles away.

Last week I talked to one of the people I know. The internal strife and politics is getting out of hand. They have people looking for little nit-pick stuff to file grievances as a way of getting people out of jobs so they can get them.

I can't say exactly what was done, if I did and it got back that person would lose their job, but suffice to say the person was actually trying to take care of customers instead of following a "procedure" to the "T". Didn't matter if the procedure causes PO customers a lot of issues up to and including legal and/or monetary loss.