16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Another Skeet Question
Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:09 pm  Reply with quote

The good news: Our registered skeet scores keep going up with the Citori, thanks to the excellent set of Briley choke tubes and new J&P hammer spring, and yes, new ammo. With more pointers from club experts, some troublesome issues have been cleared up.

The not-so good news: I still have no idea how to break 3 hi and 4 hi. It’s mostly an accident if I break them. I’m following Bender’s notes to the letter but they don’t really help. It seems I can’t pull the trigger until it’s too late. I don’t have the remotest feel for the timing. Most of our guys break them well before the center post. As for me, I just watch it sail by then yank the trigger. My other stations are solid; they seem easy in comparison.

Ideas anyone?

TIA
B.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:00 pm  Reply with quote

Establish your hold and break points.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:49 pm  Reply with quote

Find a time when the skeet field is available and just shoot those two stations concentrating on breaking the target over the center stake for a couple of boxes of shells. Like Todd says 3 1/2 to 4 foot of lead and good follow through should do it. Of course, concentration on the clay is imperative. I've resorted to using my Shotkam on occasion to determine what I'm doing wrong.

gunsrus
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:49 pm  Reply with quote

If you would , what's the new ammo ?
707PS
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:28 pm  Reply with quote

I have trouble with station 3 and 4 also. I think with my left to right shots I’m pulling the gun away from my face. It couldn’t be because I’m 83. 😃😃
John
Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:51 pm  Reply with quote

Gunsrus
I’ve been using my 7/8 oz reloads for skeet but noticed my scores were better with 1 oz. I had some 1 oz #8 Rio flats stashed away but said what better use than registered shoots. So out they came. I also bought one box of 1 oz Feds at the club to back them up. I still have a few flats of Rios reserved for competition, but now my 7/8 oz reloads will be used for practice, as I have another hundred once fired empties from the shoot.

Riflemeister,
After a long career of field hunting I am a Swingthrough shooter. It’s not a problem except for 3 and 4 where the gun can block out the target as I swing by. I have enough time on 5 hi to recover. Swingthrough works great on 2 hi and especially 6 low. I don’t know if I can learn sustained lead, it seems unnatural. But all the club guys tell me to forget swingthrough and use sustained lead. I also like the idea of a Shotkam.

V/R
B.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:44 am  Reply with quote

if you "think" for sure that you are leaving the gun on the swing , get your "look" down the rib that you like , and address the house . Drop the gun from your face and call for the bird . You have only one place for the gun/face to go and that's back to the stock ! It will give you your best look at the target . (didn't say Low Gun !)

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

That bird is falling if you wait until it’s past the middle, you are most likely shooting over it. Reno

Citori16
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:13 pm  Reply with quote

If you’re using sustained lead, go to the stake and put a pile of clays on either side 2 feet from the stake. No matter where you are except for station eight, the distance between the piles is your lead when the clay is near the stake, probably from 1/2 way to it to 1/2 way after. When you get on station, look at those piles, fix it in your mind and think positively. Tell yourself, “Move with the bird, stay in the gun, follow through”. Let your hands take over. I adapted this from a Chris Batha video I saw. It has helped me go from mid-30’s to mid-40’s. It’s all a mental game now.

kgb
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:25 pm  Reply with quote

If you can, find someone who's shot a lot (and preferably is a good teacher) watch over your shoulder or even off to the side a little. I missed a lot of hi-5 until a friend happened to be watching me one day and told me I was slowing down my gun. You're probably not doing that but it's something that you can't determine on your own and will likely stick out to somebody paying attention at your side. Good luck!

skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:55 pm  Reply with quote

Try shooting a delay double at station 3 & 4
Call pull and the high house comes out, then the puller
will release the low house a second or two later.
Should accelerate your shooting the high house

Let us know how this works for you

Mike