16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Cabela's/Bass Pro
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

I received a very questionable email from Bass Pro, asking if I had requested a password reset. I haven't done business with either Bass Pro or Cabela's in a few years. I did call the number on the email, and it seemed legit but I didn't change anything and didn't give the woman on the phone anything but my name and email.

Just wondering if anybody else got this same email asking if they requested a password change.

drcook
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

its a scam. its called phishing. they send out millions of emails hoping to get someone to click on a link, to call a number and give them information, unfortunately, now they know that they hit someone live so your email goes into the system,

if it was a gmail account or other one not hard wired to your internet provider, it would be time to start phasing that one out and set up a new one.

then shut that one down

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:42 am  Reply with quote

Clicking on the link is all the scammers need - it will download malware to your computer.
They could be logging every keystroke and harvesting all your account information. Best to shut down the email box they got to you through. Notify your bank you may have been hacked, and then change every password through the new email account.

This happens often enough that banks and financial institutions have protocols in place to help customers through this.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:59 am  Reply with quote

I get that it was some kind of BS, but the phone number provided on the email sent me to the actual Bass Pro customer service line and they did not ask me for any real information, not that I was going to give them any. I was just interested in seeing where the phone number would send me.

Just wondering if anyone else got this email.

drcook
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:22 am  Reply with quote

the only way that you would know that it is the actual Bass Pro line is if you looked the number up on the Bass Pro website and verified it. The lengths that scammers will go through to impersonate people, businesses etc is astounding.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:30 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,
IMO the best thing to do with Bass Pro/Cabelas is not deal with them at all.
In the past before Cabelas sold out to Bass Pro I did business with Cabelas with very little problem, not true any more.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:53 am  Reply with quote

drcook,

The number on the email is: 800-227-7776 check it out yourself. I really can't explain why, whoever sent the email, wanted me to reset the password on my account, which I never had with Bass Pro. Cabela's account yes, years ago, but Bass Pro? Never.

I copied the email:

Hi,

We received your request to reset the password for your BassPro.com account.

To reset your password, click the button below or copy the link and paste it into your browser. For security purposes, the reset link will expire in 15 minutes.

Reset link: https://www.basspro.com:443/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet//BPSCodeValidation?errorViewName=ResetPasswordGuestErrorView&storeId=715838534&krypto=%2B6T4l4wQrDOujJFV3lavtrFqFnDO1QH5Q7pvXcb%2FgrIK8pTkW3%2F7Yne2u5J1IUOoqLqZVEdSXiJ9%2BJydR0umly0lWwFT9JNU6l5PatIHIrSiuzZNUjjhkmhrqmsc%2FyjhQ2yde5OS8HEZAeQJfM5sUma85Tga5GHBMfUX4lNEs2HH7TProCX6uZhQrAodmPJO4c4WLqPlMv0t0dTmZKssDQ%3D%3D_IBM_3&langId=-1&catalogId=

Your Friends at Bass Pro Shops
basspro.com | 1-800-227-7776

I obviously did not touch the link, as I don't have a Bass Pro account, nor did I request a password reset from them or Cabela's.

Pine Creek/Dave,

I completely agree Cabela's hasn't been Cabela's for many years, which is why I haven't bought from them (never bought a thing from Bass Pro) for over 5 years....and Cabela's in East Harftord, CT was less than 2 miles from my house when I lived in CT.

BWW
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:02 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Gentlemen,
IMO the best thing to do with Bass Pro/Cabelas is not deal with them at all.
In the past before Cabelas sold out to Bass Pro I did business with Cabelas with very little problem, not true any more.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Boy, is that ever true!
Bob
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

Well as I see it. Never do business over the net
If I can't get their ph number I don't do business.
I know people that have been scared time after time. They just never learn.
drcook
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:31 am  Reply with quote

The link you see is not necessarily the link behind the code. If they can manufacture an email they can rig it behind the scenes.

When I worked at the bank, we would generate emails from a mainframe and hit the internet via a port (interface). We could make it say and look however we wanted.

They were counting on you to hit the link.

jim18611865
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:05 am  Reply with quote

If the email was real, and it likely was, then someone already hacked your account.
Cabelas and Bass Pro are one company.
Try logging into your account. If you can't get in, you know why.

Jim
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:49 am  Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

I closed my account with Cabela's and my Cabela's Visa card 5 years ago. Anything that may remain in their system has no real value. CC is gone, phone number has been changed twice since then and I moved. The only thing that remains the same is my email......and I don't have that password any longer.

drcook
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:34 pm  Reply with quote

I doubt the email is real. I have seen some very realistic scam emails impersonating banks lately. They were hard to tell from the real thing, except they don't mention you by name, or you really don't have an account at the place.

They will say such as Dear Customer, etc but never the name the account is under.

The people just blast emails out hoping someone will click the link. As I said, on the hoax emails what you see is not necessarily what is behind the scenes.

Having wrote software for a living for 28 years, it is easy to create something that looks like one thing and actually is another

Had to add this. Just today I received another one purporting to be a delivery from FedEx. Now I am not expecting any packages and know better than to click a link. Plus they messed up the code so some of their behind the scenes was visible.

df
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:35 pm  Reply with quote

I get scam e mails daily, multiples of them, from fedex, ups, usps, all saying second attempt or last attempt to reach you about your package delivery. And I get numerous ones from various stores saying you’ve won XYZ, or your todays winner, or congratulations, you’ve won….
I never open them.
graybeardtmm3
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:28 am  Reply with quote

technology has magnificently broadened the opportunities for con artists....in the dim dark past, they were limited to 3 card monte, and which shell is the pea under...

now the sky is the limit...

best regards,
tom