16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  7/8 oz target loads
Uplander44
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:37 am  Reply with quote

I just ordered up some 7/8 oz CB wads to shoot out of my new (to me) Beretta Silverhawk. Only data I could find was from CB's website using Intl powder (which I do have). Just curious if there are any other options out there. I consulted the 16ga reloading PDF which was pretty disappointing because it uses the same wad for every recipe.

Using RGL hulls.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:08 pm  Reply with quote

Unique
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

I load the claybuster 7/8 wads in my RP game load hulls and they work great with Internatiional and Green Dot. I recently was given a bucket full of once fired RP hulls and loaded them with 572 and the claybuster wads and they work great. Try 16gr of International with Cheddite primers, claybuster 7/8oz wads, and RP hulls.

Last edited by Byron Whitlock on Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

International is a great powder for that application, especially in the Remington hull.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:14 pm  Reply with quote

A member of our forum had these tested back in 2016

Tom called with results today. I'd say above and beyond service for the 4th of July!

Anyway, he is sending the results, but he gave me the basic numbers over the phone.

The tested load was:

Rem. Game Load Hull
CB0078 wad
16.0 gr. International Clays
W209 primer
7/8 oz. West Coast Mag 8's

They averaged 1250 fps with a variation of 18 fps.

The pressure was 10,666 psi with a variation of 800 psi.

Tom said plenty safe for a modern shotgun and i agree.
Uplander44
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like International is the way to go! I'll plan on loading some up and running them over the chrono. I have Win and Ched primers to play with.
gspbirdguy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:57 am  Reply with quote

hello all. i have been pouring all the sites to also find data for the CB0078 wads too.
i dont have internatl powder, and cant locate any either. was hoping to find data for the win and herters cheddite hulls with this wad. im almost out of the DR-16 wads i have am i am scrambling to obtain a reliable source for the next 7/8 sure thing. thanks matt k

Uplander44
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:41 am  Reply with quote

gspbirdguy wrote:
hello all. i have been pouring all the sites to also find data for the CB0078 wads too.
i dont have internatl powder, and cant locate any either. was hoping to find data for the win and herters cheddite hulls with this wad. im almost out of the DR-16 wads i have am i am scrambling to obtain a reliable source for the next 7/8 sure thing. thanks matt k

Matt, I’m new to loading 16 gauge but from what I read the CB wads only really work with Rem/Win hulls and will cause migration in anything else.

On a side note, I ordered my wads from Recobs after shopping around for the best price. While they price the wads the best, their shipping was the highest making it about the same as everywhere else if not a little more. Was pleasantly surprised to get a note from them when my order shipped that the final postage was nearly half what I was quoted in my online order and my charges were readjusted. Stand up company, will be doing more business with them!
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:22 am  Reply with quote

Here's a few to try:

Rem RGL hull (or WW CF)
7/8 oz. lead
Clay buster pink wad (CB078)
16 gr. Green Dot
Win 209
1,196 fps
11,000psi

Rem RGL hull
7/8 oz. lead
SG16 wad
22 gr. Win WSF
Rem 209 STS
1,280 fps
9,300 psi

Cheddite hull
7/8 oz. lead
SG16 wad
27 gr. Longshot
1,330 fps
7,200 psi

Rem RGL hull
7/8 oz. lead
DR16 wad
15.5 gr. 20/28
Chedd 209 Win 209
1,119 fps 1,105 fps
6,160 psi 5,760 psi

I also have data for 800-X and SOLO 1250, but those powders are discontinued. If you happen to have a good stock of either, I can share this information too.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:31 am  Reply with quote

I like that greendot load
gspbirdguy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:29 am  Reply with quote

thanks all. the cheddite load from wyochucker has all the parts and pieces i currently own. i'll probably start digging up the RGL hulls as i can since they seem to have the most loads avail overall. many thanks again. matt k

Savage16
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:43 pm  Reply with quote

Cold Iron has posted here and elsewhere that he's sending some green dot loads to precision for testing. One that he let me throw in the shipment was about the same as the first one on Wyo's list except a ched 209 and 15.0 of GD. Hopefully results are back soon.

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:19 am  Reply with quote

Uplander44 wrote:
gspbirdguy wrote:

Matt, I’m new to loading 16 gauge but from what I read the CB wads only really work with Rem/Win hulls and will cause migration in anything else.

On a side note, I ordered my wads from Recobs after shopping around for the best price. While they price the wads the best, their shipping was the highest making it about the same as everywhere else if not a little more. Was pleasantly surprised to get a note from them when my order shipped that the final postage was nearly half what I was quoted in my online order and my charges were readjusted. Stand up company, will be doing more business with them!

Uplander, you can flare the overpower CB 7/8 wad abit to work in the cheddite hulls. Very easy to do. I've been doing it for years now. Save a lot of money over the years. I shoot a lot of trap and never any problems. Just in case your interested.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:37 am  Reply with quote

Hammer bill , what is your method for flaring the CB wads ?
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:10 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar -- I do happen to have some 800-X and plenty of Solo 1250!