16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  BB's in a 16ga AA type hull for called in coyote....
britgun
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:13 pm  Reply with quote

.....I substituted BB's for 6 shot in these Win hulls, Blue Dot powder, and Rem SP 16 wads, and the finished shell feels super light in your hand! You can really feel the difference...... anyone with any advice? Can I shoot it OK anyhow, even though it's obviously not a true ounce and an eigth in weight?

Are BB's solid copper? I thought they were copper coated lead.... I have another brand of BB I may try to see if they're any heavier.... these are regular BB gun BB's, do the BB's made for shotshells differ?

I have factory No. 1 Buckshot loads which will work fine, just wanted to try something different for the fun of it...

Thanks,

britgun

birddog
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

Britgun,
I think the shelf bought BB's are copper coated steel or tin at best. BP sells lead buckshot in a variety of sizes, I load the T lead and buffered stoked with longshot. They have a hard time with that out to 85 yards. We've actually dropped 3 at 100 yards but these were broad side standing shots too. I wouldn't trust the BB gun fodder out to about 30 yards.
Sorry man Mad
Charlie
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

BB's are nothing more than copper plated steel----without the proper wad you are going to ruin a barrel Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked SOME bb's are made of lead but they are usually uncoated--------Cut up what you have and save the components Wink
britgun
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
BB's are nothing more than copper plated steel----without the proper wad you are going to ruin a barrel Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked SOME bb's are made of lead but they are usually uncoated--------Cut up what you have and save the components Wink

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I had no idea. I'll use the No. 1 Buck, it's cool.....

Duncan

hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

The saving grace in that load was the Blue Dot which is close to Steel in burn rate----loading buckshotshot is safe but you need to count them out and spiral them in the wad---if you use one --or the spacers-----I have used buffer for some loads---other data will skyrocket the chamber pressure------pm me if you are unsure of a load --I have a cold and the medicine(Beam and Coke) is taking effect as I have to get up early for work tommorow---I will be glad to help you out---let me know Cool
britgun
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:24 pm  Reply with quote

birddog wrote:
Britgun,
I think the shelf bought BB's are copper coated steel or tin at best. BP sells lead buckshot in a variety of sizes, I load the T lead and buffered stoked with longshot. They have a hard time with that out to 85 yards. We've actually dropped 3 at 100 yards but these were broad side standing shots too. I wouldn't trust the BB gun fodder out to about 30 yards.
Sorry man Mad
Charlie

Thanks Charlie, I'll get some real lead BB size or T's or stick with my No. 1 factory loaded Buckshot, tell me more about your load, I want it in 16, and I've got those AA deals, SP16 hu;ls, what powder did you use and how much, how much shot, etc? Were you using a 16 when you whacked those dawgs? I got some messages thinking I was spoofing the group....glad somebody else out there has tried this... kindly fill me in at your convenience...

Duncan

britgun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:53 pm  Reply with quote

No coyotes, too windy........will try again later.... using the No. 1 Buck..

birddog
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:54 pm  Reply with quote

Brit,
I'll go to the loading room tomorrow and fetch the data on the 16 ga buckshot load.
Weathers been to nice for to long. Could use a touch of snow. Smile
Good Luck Charlie
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:17 pm  Reply with quote

birddog wrote:
Brit,
I'll go to the loading room tomorrow and fetch the data on the 16 ga buckshot load.
Weathers been to nice for to long. Could use a touch of snow. Smile
Good Luck Charlie

Charlie,

I'd be real interested in that 85 yard business with the T shot you spoke of a couple days ago.... any recipes would be deeply appreciated, same here, no snow, just wind.... Colorado got all of it for the whole USA so far looks like....tell me the choke (apparently tight) and the gun, just for the interest I have in this, if you would..... Model 12 16 bore FULL I am guessing?

thanks a bunch,

Duncan

birddog
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:14 am  Reply with quote

Hey Dunc,
Finally got around to getting the numbers together for ya. Sorry for the delay.
On the winchester cases the load is as follows (1-1/8oz. shot, 26 gr. Longshot, Win. 209, BP/SPTG wad, 12gr of buffer followed with OS card)
federal case (1-1/8oz. shot, 27gr. Longshot, Win. 209, Rem. SP16 wad, 12 gr. of buffer followed with OS card)
Cheddite case (1-1/8 oz. shot, 27.5gr. Longshot, Win 209, Rem. SP16 wad, 12 gr. of buffer followed with OS card)
Good luck and hope these work for you.
AND TO ALL THAT USE THESE LOADS PLEASE START LOW AND WORK UP, THESE LOADS WORKED IN MY GUN, AND YOU DON'T HAVE MY GUN!!!
Using good reloading sense today lets you read these pages tomorrow!

As for the choke used here, I have found that my lt. mod patterns best. The tighter the choke the more flyers I experienced. Flyers are taboo when you've only got 40-45 pellets to begin with (using T buckshot here guys)
Charlie
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:01 pm  Reply with quote

birddog wrote:
Hey Dunc,
Finally got around to getting the numbers together for ya. Sorry for the delay.
On the winchester cases the load is as follows (1-1/8oz. shot, 26 gr. Longshot, Win. 209, BP/SPTG wad, 12gr of buffer followed with OS card)
federal case (1-1/8oz. shot, 27gr. Longshot, Win. 209, Rem. SP16 wad, 12 gr. of buffer followed with OS card)
Cheddite case (1-1/8 oz. shot, 27.5gr. Longshot, Win 209, Rem. SP16 wad, 12 gr. of buffer followed with OS card)
Good luck and hope these work for you.
AND TO ALL THAT USE THESE LOADS PLEASE START LOW AND WORK UP, THESE LOADS WORKED IN MY GUN, AND YOU DON'T HAVE MY GUN!!!
Using good reloading sense today lets you read these pages tomorrow!

As for the choke used here, I have found that my lt. mod patterns best. The tighter the choke the more flyers I experienced. Flyers are taboo when you've only got 40-45 pellets to begin with (using T buckshot here guys)
Charlie

OK Charlie, I am super pumped about this, now tell me about buffer, and an OS card....what do I order, and where, and how do I put it all together...this is a big first for me, and.....is there any way I can use that SP 16 with the AA hulls, since I have so many of them now? I prob can come up with some Federal purples, so it's OK if you think I better not....

if you have the time and desire, walk me through this.....I'm tickled, buddy,

thanks a million, this is exciting....

Duncan

birddog
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:56 pm  Reply with quote

OK Dunc,
Precision reloading for the buffer and overhsot card is where I would start, if they are out contact Ballistic products. As for the use of SP16 in place of the BP's listed. Its the space taken up from powder to shot that differs. I won't tell you it won't work, but you know Wink
Charlie
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:16 pm  Reply with quote

birddog wrote:
OK Dunc,
Precision reloading for the buffer and overhsot card is where I would start, if they are out contact Ballistic products. As for the use of SP16 in place of the BP's listed. Its the space taken up from powder to shot that differs. I won't tell you it won't work, but you know Wink
Charlie

Thanks, gotcha, and what gun did you use for these loads, may I ask? I'll check out Precision for the components...., thanks again, Charlie...

Duncan

birddog
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:47 pm  Reply with quote

Hell Dunc I've only got one 16, its a DeHaan SO SxS.
Also load a 12 ga Embarassed buckshot.
Cool Charlie Cool

Hey did you buy that 37 from twopipe? Right off my back step, man that's low Wink You must of had your bid there first Evil or Very Mad
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:08 pm  Reply with quote

birddog wrote:
Hell Dunc I've only got one 16, its a DeHaan SO SxS.
Also load a 12 ga Embarassed buckshot.
Cool Charlie Cool

Hey did you buy that 37 from twopipe? Right off my back step, man that's low Wink You must of had your bid there first Evil or Very Mad

What IS a Dehaan SO? yes, I got twopipe's 37, I'm grateful to report, I have always wanted one of those things... don't be too sore at me, I'm sure you'll snake my bid next round....and it's OK about the 12 bore, I er, well, own one, also..... Embarassed

Also, seriousnessly now (new word, charlie) what size of OS card, and how does it all go together?? Demystify this for me, does that little card go on top? precision has all these diff weird sizes....which one do I order off them?? Looks like they don't have T lead, but they do have real lead BB's...will they do OK? Prob too small.....Or they have #4 buck....is that bigger or smaller than "T"....where can I get some T? I'll check out ballistic products...

OK, so I checked out ballistic Products and between the 2 joints, I think I can get it all....(might try some BBB's, too....)

Thanks a bunch,

Duncan