16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  New green lid Green Dot powder test results
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:02 pm  Reply with quote

The DR-16 fits the straight wall hulls perfectly and is a bit tight in the Winchester CF hull.

top_cat
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:42 am  Reply with quote

According to my dial caliper the powder base skirt on a cb100 and the sp16 is .635. On the dr16 it is .657.

85 year old trembly hands.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:45 pm  Reply with quote

top_cat wrote:
According to my dial caliper the powder base skirt on a cb100 and the sp16 is .635. On the dr16 it is .657.

85 year old trembly hands.

You have 20 years on me good sir. Last August flew to Wake Forest, NC for my mother's 85th birthday. I remember when I could easily read the vernier scale on a micrometer, used to do it several times a day. Those days are long gone and I'm thinking it doesn't get much better as time goes by Sad

Brewster11 wrote:
Cold Iron, I suspect you don’t need to re test the DR16 with Ched hulls. You may already have the answer if you look at the individual shots. I saw much the same on some 800X loads where Tom A. noted that the crimp had popped on an outlier shot where the pressure was extremely low.

With testing like this it often makes sense to use a statistical method called “censoring” where obvious outliers are discarded. In this case the low outliers would be discarded, certainly not any high numbers.

I don’t have the dimensions of the DR16 at hand, but if it was designed for WAA hulls it maybe a loose fit in Ched hulls. If so, you could lose powder grains when seating the wad as the escaping air blows the grains past the wad seal. I’ve seen it with other wads.

V/R
B.

It must be 17-18 years ago now that I first met Neil Winston at the Steer and Calf shoot, it was a couple of years before he was president of the ATA. My son and I shared a table with him and of course the talk was all about pattern efficiency and statistics. Pretty sure my eyes glazed over more than once.

He asked if I was shooting and analysing at least 10 patterns for each test. I told him I did 12 and threw out the high and low or any that were not in the norm. He said not to do that as those were actual results and would skew the data. He was the one with the Masters in Statistics and one of the world's top experts in shotgun patterns so have stayed with that.

But if I do censor that shot string and take out the one abnormal one....

Winner winner chicken dinner! You nailed it, the average velocity is now 1249 fps 3 fps delta from the Federal and spot on thank you! Just saved me $25 I owe you a beverage of your choice Smile

I remember reading the process when Nick was working with Kevin to develop the DR16 and they wanted it to fit both CF and straight walled hulls. Looks like that is exactly what they did:

CB0100-16 - .640"
DR-16 - 0.652"
SG16 - 0.665"

So that leaves just the 15.0 gr. data and also trying to get velocity down to 1080 fps or so mark. Hopefully lower. with consistency Pretty sure the issue with the tested Ched\Ched at 15.0 gr. was wad seating pressure or lack thereof. So will do 4 more.

1) Ched\Ched 15.0 DR16 7\8 oz. - get down to 1200 fps instead of 1250 fps with 16.0 gr.?

2) Ched\Ched 15.0 SG16 1 oz. - wad seating pressure bump generate new data.
The crush section length of the SG16 is .32" lower than DR16 off the powder.

3) Ched\Ched 15.5 SG16 1 oz. - verify is it 1180 fps? Pressure? Backup in case the 15.0 is a failure.

4) Ched\Ched 15.0 SG16 7\8 oz. - Vel\Pressure
Waiting on 28 ga. 1/8" undershot cards ordered from Precision. Didn't want to use fillers ever again or play with putting food in my shot but in case we never see the DR16 again I want a light load option available to me for my 6 pound guns. At ~1200 fps
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:19 pm  Reply with quote

A airsoft bb dropped in before you drop your shot is alot easier for me than a wad. Me being the lazy old man I am I just added 10 grns to the shot drop. Laughing