16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Fed Buffered Copper Turkey
putz463
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:59 am  Reply with quote

Anyone here familiar with this load? Poking around for interesting Turkey load ideas and this seems as though it might be a nice load through the correct choke.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002141657?pid=574647

Shouldn't be too difficult to mimic hand loaded.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:11 am  Reply with quote

They are hard to come by and during Covid Federal didn't make a run of them. Some pheasant hunters were screaming as they are a fan favorite with some.

I posted the availability of them on another site a month ago Scheels has the #6 for sale and still do at $15 a box. They normally run $35 a box from Federal, when they have them.

https://www.scheels.com/p/federal-premium-upland-pheasants-forever-high-velocity-16-gauge-shotshells/02946502692.html?irclickid=X3Ixu2XsmxyITOSSA43kISNpUkAync1uxT2ixQ0&irgwc=1&utm_campaign=13422&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_src=AmmoSeek

The Midway description is the old box\load, not sure if that is what they are actually selling. Federal makes them in 4, 5 and 6 shot.

Savage16 is the expert on the PF super duper high speed loads and the different variants over the years.

Precision Reloading does have some 1 1/8 oz. loads in the 1350 fps range for lead using Blue Dot and Longshot. But I don't ever recall seeing data faster than that for lead anywhere. But really haven't looked for anything faster than that either.
Lewis295
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:26 am  Reply with quote

I may be wrong, but I think the "new" load is not buffered
putz463
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:43 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, $15 is not bad all things considered, following the link to Scheels I couldn't see if those were buffered or not.

Loaded up a few shells from the Spread Sheets Ched tab shared by Bowbuilder, 1.25oz #4 LS + buffer (subbed in Proreach & PSB) and found a box of PMC 1.125oz 1425 #5's on my shelf and off to the range with a BPS & 870 patterned at 38 paces yesterday through Trulock and Colonial tubes. Haven't done any counting yet but a few of the patterns from a 0.600" Trulock Turkey choke look devastating with a bunch of tightly packed evenly spread little holes in an imaginary ~14" circle, can't see how anything could run away after any of those swarm's had interrupted their day.

Savage16
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:41 am  Reply with quote

Savage16 is the expert on the PF super duper high speed loads and the different variants over the years.
I think I know where you pulled that out of Wink
I do have a box each of the last iteration of the box and also the current. Each have pheasants forever emblems and mention copper plated shot. 1425fps and the old version also states 3 7/8dram. Nothing about buffering on either. Both show the same load code of PF163 and then the shot size.

Citori Grade III
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:04 am  Reply with quote

Federal's website does not mention buffering nor does the box I have on hand.

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:44 pm  Reply with quote

Got a whole case of them in South Dakota from a guy at Cabalas talking to Scott Linden. I jokingly said to Scott will these 16's work showed him a couple boxes(fiocchi GF) the guy heard me and said he just sold his 16 you want some shells?. I got a case of those and 4 boxes of Kent bismuth 5's
for $100.00.
I can tell you they stone wild pheasants far out. I would not hesitate to use them on turkeys. I never patterned them though.
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:14 am  Reply with quote

Lucky dog, in the right place at the right time, good on you. Got it, good Pheasant and don't think twice Gobbler medicine, thanks!

Appreciate all the input. Also went on Fed site and no evidence of these having buffer. + looking close at the "old" box on Midway' site doesn't say buffered, wondering if Midway posted a typo....

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:08 am  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:
Lucky dog, in the right place at the right time, good on you. Got it, good Pheasant and don't think twice Gobbler medicine, thanks!

Appreciate all the input. Also went on Fed site and no evidence of these having buffer. + looking close at the "old" box on Midway' site doesn't say buffered, wondering if Midway posted a typo....

Larry Potterfield doesn't do a good job keeping the website up to date with pictures. In fact some on here are confused with the new packaging of Federal 16 shells because of it. They show a generic 12 ga. Federal hull with steel base for the 16 but it is not steel they are the same brass washed hull they always have been.

Federal does offer a buffered 16 ga. load in the Prairie Storm FS (Flight Stopper) shell. 1 1/4 oz. at 1425 fps.

30% nickel-plated FlightStopper pellets
70% copper-plated lead shot
Rear-braking FlightControl wad
Buffered shot

The FS pellets have a ring around them look like little Saturn pellets to me LOL. They are supposed to widen the pattern at least 30% of it for close range as they spread out. Couple of my friends in SD use them in the 12 ga. with 1 3/8 at some ungodly speed. I call them anti aircraft rounds, we are all retired Navy. I've cleaned a lot of them out of birds they are effective.

Bass Pro has the buffered Prairie Storm FS 16 for sale right now they don't show up often. For the low low price of $40 a box which is $1.60 a trigger pull.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/federal-premium-prairie-storm-fs-lead-upland-shotgun-shells

January of 2022 I bought 8 flats of Federal 16 game loads from Sportsman Guide for $128 a flat they still have my other 4 flats of shells on backorder. I just cancelled them yesterday because they came in and are now $166 a flat. Hard pass.

Can never have too many hulls for the 16 especially Federals although I have quite a few but I am a hull whore. Fleet Farm wants $15.50 a box and they go up from there at other places.

Looking up the PF 16 shells I couldn't help myself from looking on Midway for 16 Federal Game Loads and Larry Potterfield has the 7.5 on clearance for $13.56 a box. I suspect that is the lowest price we will see for some time so added another 1K hulls to my collection. Once I shoot them anyhow. Free shipping if you spend $75 which isn't hard to do with the prices today.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021558198?pid=923267

#8 shot is still $21 a box.

Long way to say thank you putz463 for helping me spend my money Laughing And maybe help out someone else that is looking for some factory 16's with a decent reloadable hull.
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:09 am  Reply with quote

You're welcome, I guess?? Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Holy cow, Federal has a 16ga Flight Control wad, did not know that! I NEED some! Need to find the contact info for that guy that demill's Fed 2nds and sells the components? My new best friend....