16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Diamond Gunsmithing
stevesavage
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:43 am  Reply with quote

Any new word on Diamond Gunsmithing? Mr. Hovencamp was really great. I hope his shop can be continued.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:56 pm  Reply with quote

Apparently his son is going to continue the business. Probably without the level of expertise that Les had. I'm sure he will be good but it's hard to replace that level of talent. Diamond Gunsmithing, and Art's Gun shop are the last vestiges of old school gun shops dealing with the American Repeating Shotgun. (pretty good at the other stuff too.)
drcook
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

There is another gunsmith here in Ohio that can deal with Ithaca 37's, however, he is pretty much taking the summer off to help his son build a house. He is fitting a barrel for me (pre-855,000) and building a precision rifle for a client and then he is wanting to slow down much more. He will tell me when it is OK to disclose his name out to folks.

It's not hard to fit the barrels. I could do it over on my other buddy's lathe (he is also a gunsmith, retired) but we don't have a 16ga reamer in case the chamber needs set back. I looked at renting one, but shipping both ways, the rent, and in case I broke it just made the money I am going to pay my buddy cost effective. Plus I got to visit.

We have a 12ga reamer, not sure about a 20, but my buddy here is retired and not taking commercial work anymore. He still has his shop though.

With that said, if any of you need to have a pre-855,000 Ithaca 37 barrel fitted to another receiver and your gunsmith hasn't done one, I am up for a phone conversation. Once you go through it with a machinist, they immediately understand. Its not hard to do once you understand the dimensional relationship that needs to be maintained.

As far as feeding or ejection issues, that is pretty easy to deal with except for the guns whose serial nbrs start with 381. They had a design change that didn't work and were converted back at the factory when sent in.

I have restored a bunch of Ithaca 37's, some of which you all have seen here. I have run into the feeding and ejection issues and don't mind answering questions. Its best to shoot me a PM. I still get email notifications about those, even if I don't show up around here, like taking the last 5 yrs off and then coming back recently.