16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 Gauge Bristol Silver Grouse Gun safety, problem or not?
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:55 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I have been thinking of purchasing another 16 gauge Grouse gun, I have no 16 gauge Box Lock Grouse guns at this time, all are Side Lock double guns no matter the country of origin. The new TriStar Bristol Silver Box Lock 16 gauge gun looks to be a nice Box Lock SXS double gun, for the asking price. Although I have heard a lot of good reports on these guns, the SST top tang safety has been an issue with some of the owners. From what I have seen the safety is much like the Browning safety and must be pushed to one side or the other for barrel selection, as the safety is moved into firing position. Is there a mechanical problem with the Bristol safety, or is this just operator error, and the operator needs to be more aware of how the SST safety works.

Having Classic double guns that work flawlessly, I want the same from a modern Box Lock gun with all the new metals and screw in chokes, for my Grouse & Woodcock hunting. Would you rate this Bristol Silver gun as a mid level modern gun, at an entry level price as the advertisement indicates? So far I have heard no negative reports on these guns, excepting the Safety catching once in a while at the mid point. I was hoping for a little more information before I made up my mind to purchase the gun.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
16'er
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:16 am  Reply with quote

Personally, I'd just pony up the money and buy a FAIR Iside. Or a RFM/UplandGunCo.

To bad the CZ bobwhite G2 isn't avail in 16. CZ does honor their warranty, and it would make a good knock-a-bout gun for less than the TriStar.
madtrapper143
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:16 am  Reply with quote

I have a Tri Star 16 gauge over/under Trinity model. The barrel selector is combined with the safety. To switch barrels the switch must be in SAFE position. Then the switch can be moved to select barrel. If you try to switch barrels with the safety in the OFF position it will bind and lock up. My gun was made by Kahn same as the Bristol IIRC. My gun has given good service ( I have a o/u .410 Kahn built shotgun also) no issues. I experienced the issue you described with the .410 when I was trying to switch barrels from the OFF safe position. Hope this helps.

Darryl

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:24 am  Reply with quote

My advice in boxlocks? Get a British gun. There's a good number on the market these days.

As far as SST's go, I've found that when the selector is combined with the safety slide, I occasionally get it stuck between selection of either barrel (unintentionally) while thumbing the slide forward and mounting the gun. It's darn annoying, especially when birds opportunities are few and far between. Not a fault of the guns, but I don't like when it happens.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:32 am  Reply with quote

Id just find an A H Fox and have the chokes adjusted to my liking
bigblue
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:02 am  Reply with quote

Dave I find your interest in a Turk product interesting none of my business but with your collection why? . Enjoy your quest.

Last edited by bigblue on Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:45 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

All of you have given me good advise and I appreciate it very much. I will back up and give you some of my reasoning

The main reasoning for purchasing this modern gun would be the new metals that are being used today, so I have another gun that has 2 3/4" Chambers and can also shoot steel shot. At this point I have only two 28 gauge guns that are compatible with steel shot, I use Bismuth in all my good Classic guns, which is done at an outrageous cost per box. Fortunately I only use a few boxes a year when shooting Woodies and gunning in places that do not allow Lead shot.

16er,
I agree I wish the CZ Bob White G2 was available in 16 gauge would purchase one for my needs real quickly. My 28 gauge is definitely a seriously nice gun for the money.
I do like the RFM guns and might just go that way, however for the amount of time this gun will actually get used, I was looking to keep the cost down. I also like the Autumn guns, but again the cost.

fn16ga,
I have owed many nice Fox guns, again the modern metals and Chrome lined barrels do not exist in the great Fox guns for shooting steel. Passed on a beautiful Fox 20 gauge just recently.

WyoChukar,
Garhart every Brit gun I have ever owed and I have had some high grade Brit guns, need to be tuned up every other year, by a Master Gun Maker. Not willing to have to do that any more.

I was hoping this Bristol Silver gun might be the gun to purchase, it is getting good reviews and falls into the right price range for a modern gun that I will only be using sparingly. I know I am violating what we have preached for many years, "always purchase the highest quality gun you can afford to purchase." I am hoping this Bristol Siver 16 gauge gun, is high enough quality to fit my needs. I do understand I am not getting L.C. Smith or Westley Richards quality from this TriStar gun.

Still on the fence about purchasing the gun.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:04 pm  Reply with quote

16'er wrote:
Personally, I'd just pony up the money and buy a FAIR Iside. Or a RFM/UplandGunCo.

To bad the CZ bobwhite G2 isn't avail in 16. CZ does honor their warranty, and it would make a good knock-a-bout gun for less than the TriStar.

CZ does honor their warranty, I have a 16 ga. Sharptail and have used it several times. But almost never shoot it I have other 16 guns I like much better. Those that own a 28 bobwhite G2 seem to really like theirs and shoot them well.

The RFM is NON selective single trigger so that would certainly take care of any issues Very Happy

Iside all day and everyday. I am not aware of a single issue with a SST on one let alone any other issues. Pretty much all of my friends have an Iside the last remaining one that does not also doesn't own a 16. He shot my 30" DT 16 Iside on 5 stand last fall and shot a 24 with it.

I have a custom order in for a 30" SST 16 ga. long tang, single line checkering, oil finish, upgraded wood, etc. that should land in a month or 2. Finally going to sell off my 3 other Isides, all in 16, and this morning he found out and asked that I hold off on the one he shot and wants to shoot it one more time. Told him I could throw in some cases of Herter shells. Have a feeling we are going to have another 16 convert soon.

Pretty much everyone I know that has shot an Iside has shot them well, extremely well. I agree and would spend the extra money and get an Iside. I have nothing against Turkish guns. I own 12, 16 and 20 ga. Dickinson SxS Sporters with single triggers that get a LOT of heavy use for clays. At $3K a gun.

A single trigger Iside in 16 is going to be hard to find in the basic (cheapest) model. Although as I type this realize I will be selling mine it has a 14 1/16" LOP and is too short for me. Just a hair but enough that I'm not going to dork around with it. I'm past that stage of my life so it is going down the road when I get around to it.

The higher end Isides come with SST unless you order them otherwise. While I am waiting on my custom order to come in the director of operations at IFG will be in Texas week after next and will cherry pick one a Prestige for me. They changed the birds on them last fall which was one of the reasons I custom ordered one.

The new ones have phez

Ruff Grouse

And still a woodcock on the bottom

The holy trinity to me. But nothing wrong with the basic either

I am so done with double triggers in the winter
fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:19 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.wholesalehunter.com/Product/Details/11285707

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/fair-shotguns/fair-iside-16ga-call-for-best-pricing.cfm?gun_id=101971995

2 triggers, the way they should be. No worries about barrel selectors.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

the problem used to happen on the field 101;s also .had 3 , all did it when you weren't paying attn .

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

Dave,

You've had that much trouble with brit guns? I'm guessing sidelocks maybe? I had to do a little adjusting of triggers on my two boxlocks when I bought them, but nothing since. I've put several thousand rounds through them already. I will say that it's a bit tough to find one with the steel shot proof rating though.

I think your selling the Fox a bit short. I have a 12 ga. that hasn't complained about steel shot at all, but if your worried about collector value on a collector grade gun, that's different. I don't run steel through my 16 Fox because the chokes are way too tight.

At this point, I'd tell you to buy an Italian gun if you can find a nice one in 16 ga.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:59 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

Garhart I never really had trouble with my Brit guns, I just followed the instructions that came with the guns and had them serviced per the instructions.

I do like the Autumn guns, however I do not like the price of the guns, for the amount of time I will be using it, that is why I was looking at the Tristar Silver gun.

I did consider an original Fox gun that had the chokes opened already, in fact I almost purchased one a few weeks ago. I still think shooting steel thru them is a bad idea, they were not engineered to due it. I think I may just purchase the Bristol Silver 16 gauge double gun and see if I really like it. I have several modern Box Lock 28 gauge guns, that have worked out nicely.

One thing for sure I am not running any Steel thru my original L.C. Smith or LeFever double guns. The modern Zabala made for Marlin 28 Gauge L.C. Smith handles steel with no problem, and I do not run steel out of it any more, when I own the less expensive 28 gauge Turkish made guns. The CZ Bob White G2 gun has had some steel run thru it, to see how the shells patterned.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:46 am  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Gentlemen,
WyoChukar,
Garhart every Brit gun I have ever owed and I have had some high grade Brit guns, need to be tuned up every other year, by a Master Gun Maker. Not willing to have to do that any more.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

P.C. Dave,
From time to time you reference the need for the annual or biannual cleaning of Brit guns by a gunsmith. The implication seems to be that they are somehow more delicate than American guns. I have owned Brit guns for over 40 years and I have never taken them in for any type of annual service. Nor have any of my gunsmiths suggested I do this.

They seem no worse off for not taking them in, but I do occasionally have a smith remove, clean and oil the locks. I am mechanically inept, so I have the pros perform this chore. I do clean my guns after every use and I avoid hunting in the rain so this may help.

With that said please do continue to bash the Brit guns, it helps keep the cost down when I add one to my collection.

Good Hunting,
Chicago Smile
jusanothajoe
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:22 am  Reply with quote

Dave have you looked at Upland Gun Company ?
The based priced Zeus is $1995.
Double trigger, splinter forearm, and you can get the stock built to your measurements at no extra charge.
And I think it will be a lot more gun than the Bristol.

I have a 16ga Zeus on order but with my add ons it is $4k +

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:27 am  Reply with quote

Justanotherjoe,

I have considered them, they are decent guns.

all he best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man