16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 Gauge Bristol Silver Grouse Gun safety, problem or not?
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:14 pm  Reply with quote

Chicago,
I have never bashed any Brit made SXS double gun, I simply relate the experiences our family has had with them, and we have owned some very nice Brit Best guns.
Maybe the Box Lock guns are very rugged and could stand up to the pounding that our American & German Best guns have had, with out any service tune ups. I have never owned my own Purdey 16 gauges double gun, and I would certainly not turn one down. GBE made the correct decision when he chose Dr Lorris's 12 gauge Purdey rather than his Churchill. The Pre 1910 16 gauge Purdey Self Opener with the hand made Hodges breech work, my buddy Ken Graft owned was the finest bird gun I have ever walked the forest with, I wish I could have afforded to purchase the gun from him. No I do not bash Best Brit London Guns.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:04 pm  Reply with quote

I took some pictures of the innards of my 16 ga TriStar Bristol.

This picture shows the action with the barrel selector set up to fire the right barrel first.

This picture shows the selector set up to fire the left barrel first.

This picture shows the action with both barrels fired. Note the safety selector has contoured front and rear surfaces that naturally keeps your thumb off the barrel selector wnen putting the safety on or off.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:50 pm  Reply with quote

RM,
This looks similar to my 200A SST safety, designed after the Beretta SST Safety.
I now no longer understand why some of the owners of the Bristol Silver 16 gun are having problems with their safety, it must be operator error on their part, this Bristol Silver engineering looks to be almost identical to the high grade Beretta engineering I have on my 200A, it never ever has a problem. This Bristol Silver also has high grade coil springs, making it a better quality gun than I thought. I still may purchase one of these Bristol Silver 16 or 28 gauge guns. I do wish the gun had DT however I can live with the SST for the cost of the gun.

Thanks for the detailed pictures!

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers