16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 ga future?
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:58 pm  Reply with quote

Ohio Wirehair wrote:
Cold Iron, what pray tell can be done to improve that stock?

Have Mark remove the machined double skip line checkering and do one of his hand checkered masterpieces in place of it Very Happy

But want to finish it myself. There is some fiddleback hidden in that factory finish, can see little glimpses of it. Not a lot, but enough. I can bring it out with Art's French Red stock filler. A very LIGHT and fast stain and fill of the grain. I'm not normally a fan of fillers or even stains for that matter but Art's got it right many years ago.

Here is a 1949 16 ga. 37 Field grade that had some fiddleback hidden under the factory stain and who knows what else after 60-70 years. With Art's and a light fill

Then I will finish it off with a hand rubbed oil finish instead of the shiny plastic finish it now has.
Rogue Hunter
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

My first shotgun was a 16ga...55 years later, I still have it! The 16ga is not dead! As a matter of fact, in the last 15 years, there has seen exponential growth in interest in the 16ga. No! The 16ga isn't going anywhere any time soon.

They say the 16ga declined in popularity because it was dropped from the "clay" shooting games. WELL, isn't it time clay shooters start demanding the 16ga have its class restored to the clay shooting sports?

CSMC RBL
Lefever Long Range Field and Trap
Rogue Hunter
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 4:54 pm  Reply with quote

My first shotgun was a 16ga...55 years later, I still have it! The 16ga is not dead! As a matter of fact, in the last 15 years, there has been exponential growth in interest in the 16ga. No! The 16ga isn't going anywhere any time soon.

They say the 16ga declined in popularity because it was dropped from the "clay" shooting games. WELL, isn't it time clay shooters start demanding the 16ga have its class restored to the clay shooting sports?

CSMC RBL
Lefever Long Range Field and Trap
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 8:37 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry Rogue Hunter, the 16 was never in the clay target games as a special event. It has always been welcome to shoot however, in the 12 gauge events, against which is exhibits little to no handicap. It was not the "games" that shrunk the market for the 16, but the fact that it was a "tweener", the use for which was covered by guns of 12 and 20 gauge. This is news more than a half century old -- more like 70 or 80 years old. The lack of attention to the 16 is, of course, a matter of dollars and sense to the manufacuturers of "mainstream" guns and ammo. The 16 is, however, a recognized specialty of upland game shooters/hunters "in the know", because it represents, in a properly proportioned gun, the most capability the average person can likely carry most comfortably and use effectively. I know you know this, or at least have sensed it, so I apologize for "preaching to the choir", so to speak. The point I want to emphasize is that one cannot blame the trap/skeet/sporting clays games for the apparent shrunken demand for the 16.

I will digress to mention the 28 gauge, the existence of which is probably totally the result of American skeet, needing something of lesser capability than the 20 and greater than the .410 to give a noticeable difference in difficulty between the two. I will say, however, I do not notice that difference, as my 28 gauge scores typically exceed my 20 gauge scores (and I never use the 12, but shoot the 20 in the 12 gauge and doubles skeet events, as do many others). I find little practical justification of the 28 in the field, since I can find plenty of 20 gauge guns as wieldy or more-so than those of 28 gauge. Nonetheless, being a total shotgun nut, I cannot resist the 28, (nor the 24, for that matter) and I'll be proud to have and use to good effect such guns till the day I die.

I'm glad, Rogue Hunter, that you are a "dyed in the wool" 16 gauge user.

Cheers!
Tony

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 10:14 pm  Reply with quote

Max Smoke,

Well said sir, those of us who bird hunt, especially Grouse & Woodcock know the 16 gauge gun is the best hunting gun there is, no matter which kind you happen to own, and I have owned SXS, O/U, Pump and Semi-Auto.

I also own all the gauges from 12 to .410 and use them all for different purposes.

The 16 gauge gun will never become extinct as long as there are birds to hunt.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
drcook
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 1:52 am  Reply with quote

Back in 1926 the 16 gauge was excluded from skeet competition.

Quote:
So, what changed? The decline may be traced to 1926, when the official rules of skeet declared that only the .410, 28-gauge, 20-gauge and 12-gauge were permissible. As skeet shooting grew in popularity — along with trap, a 12-gauge-only affair — the 16-gauge took a backseat in manufacturers' research and development. The 16-gauge shell saw less innovation, and hulls and reloading components likewise grew inferior.

https://www.firearmsnews.com/editorial/decline-10-16-gauge-shotguns/78028#:~:text=So%2C%20what%20changed%3F,in%20manufacturers'%20research%20and%20development.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 7:47 am  Reply with quote

OK Doctor Cook -- I see what you've been reading, but it is wrong, or at best wrongly worded.

I've excerpted this from your quote --
Quote:
official rules of skeet declared that only the .410, 28-gauge, 20-gauge and 12-gauge were permissible

I take issue with the word "permissable". Whomever wrote that either 1) doesn't know the facts, 2) has an "agenda", or 3) can't concoct a good sentence. I'm betting on number 3. As I've said before, in skeet it has always been "permissible" to shoot the 16 in the events in which the 12 gauge is allowed. And think I also made it clear why no specific 16 gauge event was created for skeet. Again, the reason for the gauges chosen for the 4 gauge-specific events was about creating a noticeable difference in difficulty -- note the allowed shot charges for the 4 gauges chosen. Yes, as time passed and equipment and technique evolved, one could make the point there isn't as much difference in the scores of those gauges as originally expected . . . except for that nasty .410. However, the difference for average shooters is there and can be seen in the allowed class handicaps. The 16 would be lost in the noise as far as differentiation of difficulty is concerned. They knew that in 1926, and it is even more true now.

The 16 is perfectly capable of competing in the 12 gauge events and always was, but skeet rules did not kill the 16, nor would a 16 gauge-specific skeet class have made the 16 as popular as the 12 or the 20 with the hunting consumer. Let's face it, the 16 has always been an "in-between-er"; always will be. You and I and everyone on this forum see plenty of value in living in that niche, but we're a small minority -- a small market. Mass manufacturers must tend a large market efficiently to make a profit. So the 16 gauge (and all others) got left by the wayside for the 12 and the 20. Fortunately for we enthusiasts, the 16 and all those other gauges were not entirely left out. In fact, the rise in availability of 16 gauge guns and shells is probably due to this 16 Gauge Society, pumping up interest in a niche specialty, showing small manufacturers there is a dollar or two to be made in 16 gauge land.

Enough of this -- old news.

drcook
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

1. if you really read, you would see it says

Quote:
dr = David R, not Dr. but thanks for the compliment, most folks just call me Dave

Not phuking doctor, read like you are bitching at everyone else

2. the 16 is affected by omission. with classes for 12,20, 28 and 410 the 16's would shoot in 12 gauge class. what everyone is saying is that had there been a class for 16 gauges to shoot in specific to the 16, the ammo companies would have been more inclined to develop ammo

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

Dave,

To quote you:
Quote:
dr = David R, not Dr. but thanks for the compliment, most folks just call me Dave

How's my reading? It looks like you normally consider "Doctor" a compliment, and have given thanks for it. Something changed?

Sorry if the facts surrounding the 16 rub you the wrong way. You are welcome to your belief that skeet is at fault for the lack of 16 gauge equipment and ammo. What abut those trap guys? They never had separate gauge specific events. You can't shoot a 10 gauge, though. And oh by the way, no one stops you from using a 16 or smaller gauge at an ATA event, do they. Did trap kill the 16? Why didn't it kill the 20.

Did you ever shoot an NSSA registered skeet tournament? Do you know how a tournament weekend goes? Yeah, with 4 guns it goes 3 days, including doubles. Gives one the chance to commune day and night, cook, eat, drink, look at nice guns and bullshit. Take the family. Yeah, it takes a lot of time. There is no way to add a 5th gun. So which guns would you choose if you designed that game, and why? Remember the point on significant differentiation of performance -- increasing degree of difficulty. The reason Skeet has the 4 gauges it does is to separate out true talent and preparation. Which gauge would you leave out if the 16 was a specific event? What would make you more competitive in the 16, for instance, if all your buddies could shoot scores as good or better with the 20, as they most certainly could do in the 12. Many do not bother with the 12, and many shoot 1 oz or 7/8 ounce loads at skeet when using the 12. It's a 20 yard game, for pete's sake, and mostly just mental.

So now, if skeet started a 16 gauge specific event, would you and many others come and shoot tournaments? Is that what it would take to get manufacturers to make more loads and more guns? Which loads? Think about it. Do the 20, 28, .410 or any other bore size have more load selection than the 16? Check it out. Skeet had nothing to do with that.

Have you ever read something in a magazine or book that shows the writer is fairly unknowledgeable? Writers have to write and produce something so they can eat. Magazine editors have to get their new publications out regularly or lose advertisement dollars and risk failure. It all gets down to how folks are going to eat -- pretty damned fundamental. So all of this is not a recipe for good quality control. Good and accurate writing is the exception, not the rule. I'm not sure, but I think the idea purported by marginally knowledgeable journalists in need of something to write about, that skeet "saved" the 28 has produced a sort of mirrored left-handed "counter-story" that it "killed" the 16. I doubt skeet saved the 28 anymore than it killed the 16, as it occupies a similar niche as the 16 -- an upland specialty. The 16 was as dead or deader in 1926, or whatever watershed year you want to choose, as it is now, and that is to say, actually pretty far from dead. Skeet had nothing to do with the manufacturers decisions to make fewer shells and guns in 16. Skeet has not created markets for anything other than special guns and ammo for skeet.

The 16 simply has a limited mission that is almost completely covered by other gauges -- certainly in the minds of our former traditional major manufacturers, though not in ours. Some 16's are wonderful, and that's why we're here sharing our enjoyment, but when you get right down to it, from at least a marketing standpoint, and possibly a performance standpoint, 16 is kind of a number, rather than magic. Is this sacrilege to us or a fact? It's almost a VHS vs. Betamax thing, or Mac vs. PC. So vive la différence -- live/rejoice in your choice; we are lucky to have so many good ones. Looking for a "villain" in what you see as the plight of the 16 (if there is one) is fruitless and a waste of time. Victimization of the innocent won't make your life sweeter.

Goodbye Dave,
and
Cheers.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

MaxSmoke,

I agree with most of what you wrote. However if you mean that a 16 gauge SXS double gun is limited because it happens to be the finest gun for Grouse & Woodcock hunting, to me and many other sportsman, you might call this a nitch, not a limitation in any way. In fact sportsman like myself own more 16 gauge guns than any other gauge gun.

Having RST make 2 1/2" 16 gauge shells is not a mistake in manufacturing, the sales rate, for these shells is definitely there. In fact a lot of my Grouse hunting friends were pretty upset when RST had to cut back production of these shells because of COVID.

Now a lot of the new 16 gauge owners are using the 2 3/4" 16 gauge guns for doing their Pheasant hunting. Many upland hunters now believe the 16 gauge gun is the best over all upland gun ever made. Us Grouse hunters have always believed in that manner, now with the modern 16 gauge guns being made today, many of the upland hunters are hunting with them instead of the 12 gauge guns.

Right now there are more gun manufacturers making modern 16 gauge guns than ever before, because the American Sportsman wants to own and use them. What actually hurts the 16 gauge gun sales is the incredible quality of the Classic American 16 gauge double gun, in reality the Classic American gun hardly ever wears out. In fact guns in pristine condition do not last very long on the GI sales board, especially the American Classics. The Classics are being sold for more money most times, than the new modern 16 gauge guns. The 16 gauge gun maybe a nitch for the gun manufacturers, it has become a fair sized nitch however, and has become stronger over the past few years averaging a 10% jump in sales each year, over the last few years.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Classic American 16 gauge double guns, still some of the finest guns ever made.
Original Fox A grade with upgraded wood.

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Citori16
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

MaxSmoke,

Respectfully, I disagree with your opinion that the 16 has a limited scope. This post and it's replies got me thinking about why I shoot a 16, and I read all of them. So this is one man's opinion, but it's rooted in experience.

I first got hooked on the thought of a 16 gauge reading the articles of Larry Brown. At the time when I started truly hunting, I had a family to feed, so the concept of "Shoot one gun well" appealed to me. My first gun was a JC Higgins 12 ga pump with a poly choke on it and 2 3/4" chambers. Adequate, but left me tired at the end of a long pheasant hunt. After reading about the 16, and I'll admit to being swayed by a number that was partial to me being my birthday, I understood that the 16 covered a lot of ground that I was looking for. I sold the pump and bought two Savage/Stevens 16 gauge guns. Soon after I bought an Ithaca Flues that had been sitting on display in a LGS for quite some time. I eventually bought a Mossberg 835 as well as an Ithaca 37 in 20 gauge. The Mossberg covered my goose & deer hunting while the Ithaca became a backup to the Flues, and occasionally, due to it's light weight, I took it on longer jaunts.

I realized this:
If I only hunted geese for pass shooting, I would be better served by a heavy 10 gauge. If I only hunted big ducks & geese while chasing pheasant on short jaunts, I would be better served by a 12 gauge. If I only hunted Grouse, Woodcock & Ducks by hiking in to seldom visited covers 7 to 10 miles from the vehicle, I would be better served by a light 20, or maybe a 28.

But if I were to limit my purchases to one gun, the 16 could cover them all. I will grab the 935 if I'm pass shooting geese from a blind, but I shot my first goose with my Citori 16 as it passed by my spread which was set on a puddle for ducks.

I agree with you that the NSSA games are fine without one extra gun that is covered by the existing gauges, but truly, you could shorten it to 12 gauge & 410 and cover all of those bases.

The competition for a 16 gauge would be a sporting clays type event, with no carts allowed, and a 10 - 15 mile course. And only one gun. I believe that's where the 16 gauge would truly shine in competition. Beyond that, I'll take solace in the fact that I can reach those far off covers & puddles on public lands that offer me good shooting for half a day and then allow me to mow the lawn after cleaning my limit of birds. For me, it is a form follows function type of thing first, but having been there & done that, I'll celebrate the gun that carries like a 20 but hits like a 12 by buying a few more "One gauge to rule them all" guns to admire.

And yes, I always secretly root for the underdog, so that's part of it.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 7:23 pm  Reply with quote

Hey, Citori16! -- You said it best. I agree with you!